Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm getting Paraguard....

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:53 PM
  • 15 Replies

Any mom's here have it? Did you have any side effects? Did it hurt getting put in?

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Its.me.Sam.
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM

i have it.  and i LOVE it.
i had it the first time - it did NOT hurt for more than like 5 seconds going in.  i DID however have very bad periods the first 2 months having it.  but then i was normal - and my periods were fine.  no spotting.  no side effects - hubby couldnt feel it. (had it for a couple of years)
2nd time i had it it hurt a little going it... she had to move it around a little more... but still only like 20 seconds of pain.  i had a little spotting the first couple of monthys - but my periods were fine.  are fine.  no side effects at all.  hubby cannto feel it and periods are normal. (have had it now for like 4 years)
because there are no hormones you dont have issues with headaches and extreme moodswings or breast tenderness to the extreme, or cycts (i got them in my parpits all the time and they hurt soooo bad), or libido changes etc.  i LOVE paragard.  i wont use anything else. 

Ashley_Carlson
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM

That's awesome. I can't take hormonal birth control at all.

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

i had it the first time - it did NOT hurt for more than like 5 seconds going in.  i DID however have very bad periods the first 2 months having it.  but then i was normal - and my periods were fine.  no spotting.  no side effects - hubby couldnt feel it. (had it for a couple of years)
2nd time i had it it hurt a little going it... she had to move it around a little more... but still only like 20 seconds of pain.  i had a little spotting the first couple of monthys - but my periods were fine.  are fine.  no side effects at all.  hubby cannto feel it and periods are normal. (have had it now for like 4 years)
because there are no hormones you dont have issues with headaches and extreme moodswings or breast tenderness to the extreme, or cycts (i got them in my parpits all the time and they hurt soooo bad), or libido changes etc.  i LOVE paragard.  i wont use anything else. 

Bird16_J
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I had it and LOVED it! It hurt a little bit to be put in but over all it wasn't too bad! No major side effects. It actually regulated my period and made it to where I actuall KNEW when it was coming instead of guessing and hoping I was right! lol The only thing it would do was every few months my period would come a little bit early BUT I always got cramps and such so I ALWAYS knew when it was coming. I can't have ANY hormones and this thing was a life saver  for me!

CafeMom Tickers
Its.me.Sam.
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM

i will never ever do hormonal bc again.  it was awful.  once i switched to paragrd ALL my side effects disappeared.  i was getting huge (almost the size of a halved golf ball) in my armpit that would be so tender that i couldnt put my arm down all the way, my sex drive was shot, i have headaches for like 2 weeks out of every month, my moods swings were intense... etc... it was awful. lol.
be warned you may have an increase in the intensity of your cramps.  and for some women it makes their period heavier (especially since hormal bc tends to make periods lighter).  for ME...  i would say about 2 times a year i have a BAD period... but its managable with ibuprofen and the rest of the time my period is normal - not heavy and cramps are normal not intense. 

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

phantomphan
by PrincessBcake on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM
I
LOVE
IT!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bird16_J
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:17 PM

OUCH! I'm sorry you had to deal with that! I can't take hormonal BC because of my bipolar and how it effects me. I was lucky and when I had it in my periods weren't much worse than they normally were lol Which thankfully was really nice! I know in high school I had such bad periods that I would actually have to stay home from school if needed because I couldn't do ANYTHING but try to sleep and take midol or something like that.

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

i will never ever do hormonal bc again.  it was awful.  once i switched to paragrd ALL my side effects disappeared.  i was getting huge (almost the size of a halved golf ball) in my armpit that would be so tender that i couldnt put my arm down all the way, my sex drive was shot, i have headaches for like 2 weeks out of every month, my moods swings were intense... etc... it was awful. lol.
be warned you may have an increase in the intensity of your cramps.  and for some women it makes their period heavier (especially since hormal bc tends to make periods lighter).  for ME...  i would say about 2 times a year i have a BAD period... but its managable with ibuprofen and the rest of the time my period is normal - not heavy and cramps are normal not intense. 

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

CafeMom Tickers
KME3
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MisfitInTN
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM
I would not recommend an iud to anyone. I had to have my surgically removed because the strings retracted and it was floating in my uterus and I was close to it rupturing through the uterine wall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Its.me.Sam.
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

that is very rare.  
im sorry that happened to you

Quoting MisfitInTN:

I would not recommend an iud to anyone. I had to have my surgically removed because the strings retracted and it was floating in my uterus and I was close to it rupturing through the uterine wall.

MommyFlood
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM
Love mine. Had it for almost 3 years. Hurt like hell to be put it (I'm a sissy) and periods are a little more painful and aren't quite as predictable since there's no regulation, but I love it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)