Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this too harsh.

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM
  • 23 Replies
Dd is 2.5 and has been refusing to eat meals & only wants to snack. Today she had breakfast, a snack, refused lunch. At dinner she refused to eat & threw the food instead. Usually after dinner she watches Elmo & then goes to bed. Tonight since she didn't eat, I sent her straight to bed. No Elmo & I'm sure she has to be hungry but she won't eat. She's in bed right now screaming bloody murder. I feel bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
time.out
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM

she's going through a phase... both of my boys did that. 

Talk with her and tell her, you need her to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. She'll get a snack after she eats those when she watches Elmo, but only if she eats all 3 meals and stick to the plan.

mackiebugsmom
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk because I feel like a child knows when they are hungry and will eat then. I would have gave her a piece of fruit and let her watch elmo but my dd is spoiled so who knows if im right. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tripletmommy806
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Nope not for the way she acted in throwing the food. I have sent my kids to their rooms if they are messing around at the table. I will usually give them a second chance to come back to the table after they have calmed down. If they act up again then no dinner and bed. Sucks, but they have to learn not to act like that at the table. Good luck. Be strong. :)
I have also found if I give them a snack to close to dinner they don't want to eat either. So last snack at 3 and we eat at 6
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM
No more snacks. She's only 2, they're probably filing her up.
Or, go with what comes naturally to toddlers and let her snack on healthy foods throughout the day. Try meals at 3 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovingSAHMommy

I would offer her food, definitely. My usually great eater (also 2.5) has been trying things like this lately. He has been asking for cookies all night, but I explain to him that unless he eat his real food, he doesn't get treats like that. So, when he acts hungry, I reheat the food he refused to eat. It finally worked a little bit ago. I'd never let him go hungry, though.

TheMrs407

Is she screaming because she missed Elmo or because she's hungry?

Leslie120
1 mom liked this
I don't make my kids go to bed hungry. I don't use food as a punishment. I think its harsh. I wouldn't have let her have anything else but if she was hungry (even after she originally rejected the dinner) I would offer it back to her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM
Just wanted to add, keep her there for the night. Throwing food is not acceptable, even if she wasn't hungry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soon2bemomof307
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:28 PM
No. She made the choice not to eat. You didn't refuse her food. I would have done the same. Skipping one meal wont kill her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)