Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Sick son. ***update from dr***

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:49 PM
  • 30 Replies
I'm taking ds to the doctor first thing tomorrow, but I want to know what you ladies think. He's 18 months old and sick :(
Out of nowhere he spiked a fever of 102. He has a cough that's hard enough to choke him. He had a red patch on his arm like someone slapped him, and a rash all down both arms. He also has bright red cheeks like he's been slapped, and a few bumps on them that look like the rash on his arms. He's having a little trouble breathing. He's refusing to eat and not really drinking. Aside from that, he's perfectly happy and energetic.
After a bath and some Tylenol, his temp was down to 100.2. He has Reactive Airway Disease, and his breathing was better after a breathing treatment. He's also slathered up with some vapor rub. I'm going to be up every hour to check his temp. His half sister has febrile seizures, and his bio dad had them has a child as well. He's never had a seizure, but it terrifies me because I know they can be genetic.
What do you cm doctors think it could be? I worry he has or is going into an ear infection as well, which means I'm fairly certain his pedi is going to refer him to an ENT to talk about tubes :(
***Update***
He has croup and fifths disease. Good call for those that called it. He also fluid in his ears, but no infection yet. He has to go back on Friday, so hopefully he will be all better then :) He's still not really eating, but he did drink two sippy cups of milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heather.marie08
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:53 PM
I'm no help, I have to take my son in as soon as my husband gets back. He has a fever, cough, has only drank 20 oz I'm the past 22 hours. And peed 4 times in 22 hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RissyLee
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:55 PM
:( I hope your little one feels better ASAP. My ds ate ok earlier today, he just hasn't eaten or really had much to drink since 3ish.

Quoting heather.marie08:

I'm no help, I have to take my son in as soon as my husband gets back. He has a fever, cough, has only drank 20 oz I'm the past 22 hours. And peed 4 times in 22 hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heather.marie08
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:57 PM
I hope your little guy feels better soon also. Dominik has eaten 8 oz since 3:00 part was formula and part was watered down juice

Quoting RissyLee:

:( I hope your little one feels better ASAP. My ds ate ok earlier today, he just hasn't eaten or really had much to drink since 3ish.

Quoting heather.marie08:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mackQuin
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Sounds like roseola. Hope he feels better
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_WC_Mama
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM

BUMP!

roxy27
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM
I'm not sure so here's a bump. I hope he feels better
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RissyLee
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Thanks. I was thinking either that or fifths disease. I like those options better than scarlet fever, which was the first thing to come up when I googled his symptoms lol
Have you dealt with roseola?

Quoting mackQuin:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicndetsmom
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Be careful with the vapor rub, it can actually make it worse for asthmatics and such. Try a cool mist humidifier in his room. Good luck mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jamie1972
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Sounds like a fever rash. Keep an eye on him febrile seizure can happen at anytime. My oldest had 2 within six weeks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelsmomma123
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:02 AM

this is kinda sounds like that plus a upper resperatory infection. Good idea to take him in first thing in the morning. Is there any way for you to have him sleep in the bed with you so you can be right there with him to keep an eye on him through the night? I really hope he starts feeling better soon. I hate sick kiddos. My 5 year old won't be going to school in the morning he has a really nasty cough and  cold. He was running a fever off and on all day but breaks it when he takes tylenol or motrin. I will be calling his pedi first thing in the morning.

Quoting mackQuin:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)