Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Apparently giving birth is selfish

Posted by   + Show Post

So I went to a business dinner with my husband that included a few men from his firm and their wives/so to welcome a new partner.  Since I'd never met the new guys wife before myself and some others were making polite conversation and i asked if she had any children.  She replied they had 2 daughters from China and a son from Russia, she showed us a picture from her purse and told us a bit about them.  I mentioned that they were adorable and that my aunt also had a daughter from China, because she couldn't conceive (i was not insinuating that was her issue at al) She said "ohh no no no. I'm fully fertile.  We just feel with so many homeless, starving children in the world it is just very selfish to have children.  There are too many that need good homes and yet people just keep bringing more children in to a world of limited resources.  Its just awful" At this point every person at the table kind of silenced.  Her husband tried to kin of smooth it over and turned it a little sayig like Oh she means you know more people keep having kids they can't care for its so sad.  She cut him right off and said "no I mean no one in general should be creating children when there are so many out there that need help.It's just so selfish and it's so egotistical how people think they have to mark their territory on the world by planting their seed" AWKWARD! 

Listen I get what she is saying and I think adoption is wonderful..but who the hell says having your own kids is selfish and egotistical? Sorry bitch but we have 2 gorgeous children we made and raise and are working on #3..if that makes me a selfish, egotistical resource waster so be it! lol

Her husband who is technically one of my husband's bosses approached everyone  today who was there and personally apologized and said he had hoped his wifes comments did not offend anyone.  My husband of course said no problem at all...but you can bet they all think this chick is a crazy bitch. 

by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Replies (31-40):
FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:29 PM

My son doesn't look a thing like me LOL

Quoting sweet.lil.mama:

Why? Even if they are mixed race they still resemble their Bio parents...

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Quoting sweet.lil.mama:

I hate people like that, like its my fault people in 3rd world countries can't wrap it up. I want my kids to look like me...

I would be SOL if i thought this.

TheMommaJessie
by Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM

wow is all i can say.

periwinkle163
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I think she just got caught up in defending their choice. She is right in a way it is kind of selfish.

Breezzzy
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM
me too exspecting # 3 and not merried im so bad lol
Quoting tarakay0417:

I can't believe someone actually said that. I guess I am selfish, egotistical, and a resource waster too. I have one beautiful little boy and we are working on #2.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
TaylorFam02
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM
5 moms liked this
Lol! Each Chinese adoption is 28,000 dollars and requires a 2 week in country stay, the current wait list is 9 years... Russia requires 2 different trips, and the cost was out of the question.. She is lucky that it worked out so well for her.. I would love to adopt from China, to say everyone should adopt is outrageously uneducated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet.lil.mama
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:33 PM
My son looks more like my hubs than me. If he didn't have curly hair I don't think he'd resemble me at all

Quoting FooLynRoo:

My son doesn't look a thing like me LOL

Quoting sweet.lil.mama:

Why? Even if they are mixed race they still resemble their Bio parents...

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Quoting sweet.lil.mama:

I hate people like that, like its my fault people in 3rd world countries can't wrap it up. I want my kids to look like me...

I would be SOL if i thought this.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlightlyPerfect
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:34 PM

How do you define selfishness?

To me, being selfish means never giving up the self. Without self, one can't be selfish.

Quoting Cookie-kisses:

See I feel like I gave up my self and am more my kids than myself.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Having a kid is selfish. It's the most selfish thing you can do! It doesn't matter whether that kid is your biological one.

It's selfish. And that's ok.

I agree with you about this lady, incidentally, but probably not for the same reasons.

slightlyperfect

tarakay0417
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Ooh you are a bad girl! LOL JK My son was concieved and born out of wedlock. So I don't have room to talk. LOL

Quoting Breezzzy:

me too exspecting # 3 and not merried im so bad lol
Quoting tarakay0417:

I can't believe someone actually said that. I guess I am selfish, egotistical, and a resource waster too. I have one beautiful little boy and we are working on #2.

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Lol.  Woops!

Maisy08
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM
I agree crazy bitch!! Maybe her hubby makes too much-
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)