Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Apparently giving birth is selfish

Posted by   + Show Post

So I went to a business dinner with my husband that included a few men from his firm and their wives/so to welcome a new partner.  Since I'd never met the new guys wife before myself and some others were making polite conversation and i asked if she had any children.  She replied they had 2 daughters from China and a son from Russia, she showed us a picture from her purse and told us a bit about them.  I mentioned that they were adorable and that my aunt also had a daughter from China, because she couldn't conceive (i was not insinuating that was her issue at al) She said "ohh no no no. I'm fully fertile.  We just feel with so many homeless, starving children in the world it is just very selfish to have children.  There are too many that need good homes and yet people just keep bringing more children in to a world of limited resources.  Its just awful" At this point every person at the table kind of silenced.  Her husband tried to kin of smooth it over and turned it a little sayig like Oh she means you know more people keep having kids they can't care for its so sad.  She cut him right off and said "no I mean no one in general should be creating children when there are so many out there that need help.It's just so selfish and it's so egotistical how people think they have to mark their territory on the world by planting their seed" AWKWARD! 

Listen I get what she is saying and I think adoption is wonderful..but who the hell says having your own kids is selfish and egotistical? Sorry bitch but we have 2 gorgeous children we made and raise and are working on #3..if that makes me a selfish, egotistical resource waster so be it! lol

Her husband who is technically one of my husband's bosses approached everyone  today who was there and personally apologized and said he had hoped his wifes comments did not offend anyone.  My husband of course said no problem at all...but you can bet they all think this chick is a crazy bitch. 

by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Replies (41-50):
Ivory_Mom1
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:37 PM
2 moms liked this

I would have laughed and told her that she wouldn't be here if her parents hadn't been selfish...nor mother to the children she adopted if THEIR parents hadn't been so selfish, so she should watch her mouth - boss' wife or not.  I have ONE son and unless I adopt, one is all I will ever have and I'm damn glad I chose to be selfish or I'd have missed out on my wonderful child.  People should think before they speak.

krise
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow. What a moron
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tginn20
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:38 PM
9 moms liked this

I would have looked at her and said..."yeah I find it a bit selfish that people go out of country to adopt "babies" when there are plenty of children of all ages in the US that need homes...it's such a shame." And moved on to other conversation.

ChloeDolce
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:40 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

i get what she is saying - and there is a lot of truth to it - she just did it with very little tact lol

Dont get me wrong i fully UNDERSTAND her point of veiw and if that is their choice then bless them.  HOWEVER I do not feel that at a dinner table in a restaurant, amongst your husband's new business partners is the time and place to make that point and to do so in such an offensive and accusatory manner.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinions on matters and have the right to make their choices in life but I find it very narrowminded of a middle aged adult women who at the moment was representing her husband in a way, to present her feelings in the way she did.  It was rude and uncalled for at the moment.  And she just looked at myself and the other 3 women as if we were these disgusting creatures who gave birth to our own children and are the downfall of humanity.  Basically said, there is a time and a place to present a strong veiw like that..and it was none of those things or the proper dinner company for it

boys2men2soon
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Quoting FooLynRoo:

I would have congratulated her but asked her how come she isn't into adopting one of the homeless children in her own country - like the 8 year old less desireablechildren who spend their lives without parents in group homes or shuffled from foster family to foster family - a truly saintly soul would know charity starts at home - and someone truly trying to change the world and give out good would give to those most in need (older orphans)

Well said!

shoot4thestars
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Sometimes I just can't wrap my head around how other people think. 

ChloeDolce
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:44 PM
9 moms liked this

OMGGGG so i told my husband I was talking about this on here and he just said. "i find it funny how we are so fucking selfish for having kids..but it's ok for her to basically BUY hers and then hire a nanny to take care of them? At least we take care of the kids we made." and then he used a word I wont repeat lol I didn't know about the nanny....wowwwww

Aislin
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I would have said something very unfortunate if it had been me. I will leave it at that and slowly back out.

LectioDivina
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:48 PM
4 moms liked this

Kinda cancels itself out...

Giving birth

can you selfishly give?

jenzachsam
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Sorry, I am egotistical and have to leave my little minions to plant more seeds since our town only has 300 ppl in it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)