Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I just wanted to vent about our dang close minded southern public school...

Since school started this year I have one kid harrassed by her English teacher because the teacher was telling everyone in class that the end times are here and if they haven't been saved they better do it now and my dd let her know that that isn't her beliefs and would she kindly save that kind of talk for after school not during class. That teacher has given her a hard time ever since. Then my 5th grader came home with a Bible one day that they had the Gideons passing out and preaching about their religion during class time. There are religious posters, advertisements for revivals and bible quotes up all over the school. And now, one of my friends had to take her 5 year old son out of kindergarten because he told his teacher that he is a Buddhist and she told him that he is "wrong for loving Buddha. Buddha is bad and evil. God will punish him for loving Buddha instead of Jesus and that his mommy better take him to church" when she complained the school would do nothing about it, not even switch him to another classroom! Gahhhh! I love living in a small town with a low crime rate and tons of natural beauty, but I am so tired of the ignorance and close mindedness around here! Okay vent over!

by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Replies (91-100):
KaroGreenly
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Quoting circle_of_life:

Quoting KaroGreenly:

Quoting PinkParadox:

Quoting KaroGreenly:

Is homeschooling an option for you?

At this point, they have what, 12 weeks of school left? Let them finish out the year and then consider the alternatives.

I think home school is a fine option for some, but it bothers me a lot that it is such a quick repsonse, from so many people.  I'm not picking on you.  It just bothers me that this seems to be a common "theme".  I'm not saying people shouldn't have the option for home schooling...but, if there is a problem with the system...then fight for change.  Fight for your rights.  Avoiding the issues changes nothing.

If this has been going on since the beginning of the year and she hasn't done anything to change it, I doubt she will. It's easy to complain on the internet when you know most people will get mad on your behalf. They've been in school for 6 months, it could have been changed already. Personally, if I felt like my kid was being attacked by a teacher and the school was doing nothing about it, I would have been writing letter to my congress men and state reps, new stations and news papers. Some people don't want to make noise, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease, kwim?

Maybe homeschool is her best option.

Just because I haven't done anything yet, doesn't mean I won't. I don't see why it's so bad to vent on here, though. If it gets to be too much, then I'll take action. I don't really relish the idea of bringing a whole town of self righteous baptist hatred down on mine and my familys heads, though, and that is precisely what will happen if I raise hell about this. It's not that simple. I have to live here, as do my kids. It's hard enough having different beliefs than 99% of the people here. If I threaten their "way of life" around here, it won't be easy on us.

Sure, which is why I suggested homeschooling.

WhyIstheworld
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Christians forget something very very important that happens to be in the bible as instruction and that is to ''speak without offending'' people claiming to be christian never do.

circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 4:14 PM
4 moms liked this

Again, evolution and Harry Potter are not religions. One is a SCIENTIFIC THEORY and one is a FICTION BOOK.

Quoting JessicaPoff:

Religion is the belief in something or some high power so in atheism case is believing a theory. Also religion is detials of beliefs that are being taught or discussed. So yes, evolution is a topic that is being taught in public school based on an atheist view point. If those don't want religion is school then thats fine. That means Harry Potter can not be read, Islam can not be taught, Christianity can not be taught, and evolution can not be taught.

Quoting circle_of_life:

Atheism is not a religion and evolution is not a religious belief. It is a scientifically accepted theory. Big difference. And religion, unless being reviewed for the sake a lesson on world religions is not appropriate in school. And proselytizing to children in a public school is definitely not cool.

Quoting JessicaPoff:

Ok first of all... Why is it when Christianity is brought up in our schools its a bad thing but when it comes to evolution which atheist believe in it its for some odd reason not considered a religiour topic but supposely truth. Thats a bunch of crap to me. Atheism is a religion too therefore evolution is also. Also there are some schools that are teaching Islam and recognizing prayer time for muslims which they say everyone has to participate in. Harry Potter is being read in our schools and is actually considered a required reading in some classes based by Scholastics reading material. Ok To me Harry Potter is a form of Wicca which too is a religion. So how come those issues never get brought up.

Closed minded. For some silly reason Christians who are conservative in their beliefs are closed minded people. But those who are open minded close out Christians and Conservatives so how can an 'open minded' person be considered open minded when they are so closed minded towards Christians and Conservatives.

.Diddles.
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 4:15 PM
Wow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
isaiahbellamom
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Oh my at this again didn't we have this same post a few months ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Quoting KaroGreenly:

Quoting circle_of_life:

Quoting KaroGreenly:

Quoting PinkParadox:

Quoting KaroGreenly:

Is homeschooling an option for you?

At this point, they have what, 12 weeks of school left? Let them finish out the year and then consider the alternatives.

I think home school is a fine option for some, but it bothers me a lot that it is such a quick repsonse, from so many people.  I'm not picking on you.  It just bothers me that this seems to be a common "theme".  I'm not saying people shouldn't have the option for home schooling...but, if there is a problem with the system...then fight for change.  Fight for your rights.  Avoiding the issues changes nothing.

If this has been going on since the beginning of the year and she hasn't done anything to change it, I doubt she will. It's easy to complain on the internet when you know most people will get mad on your behalf. They've been in school for 6 months, it could have been changed already. Personally, if I felt like my kid was being attacked by a teacher and the school was doing nothing about it, I would have been writing letter to my congress men and state reps, new stations and news papers. Some people don't want to make noise, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease, kwim?

Maybe homeschool is her best option.

Just because I haven't done anything yet, doesn't mean I won't. I don't see why it's so bad to vent on here, though. If it gets to be too much, then I'll take action. I don't really relish the idea of bringing a whole town of self righteous baptist hatred down on mine and my familys heads, though, and that is precisely what will happen if I raise hell about this. It's not that simple. I have to live here, as do my kids. It's hard enough having different beliefs than 99% of the people here. If I threaten their "way of life" around here, it won't be easy on us.

Yeah, I have no problem with you suggesting homeschooling. It's a valid suggestion. Actually, I am already homeschooling my oldest because of health issues and bullying. The school is terrible about bullying, but that is a whole other story. We have spoken to a child advocacy lawyer that specializes in schools compliance with the laws about bullying and children with disabilities.

momavanessa
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I think that is going about it the wrong way. Yes I want my children to learn about God and Jesus but I don't want them to learn how to hate others because they have other beliefs! I don't even think I would want that kind of teachers in a Private Christian school!

KaroGreenly
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting circle_of_life:

Quoting KaroGreenly:

Quoting circle_of_life:

Yeah, I have no problem with you suggesting homeschooling. It's a valid suggestion. Actually, I am already homeschooling my oldest because of health issues and bullying. The school is terrible about bullying, but that is a whole other story. We have spoken to a child advocacy lawyer that specializes in schools compliance with the laws about bullying and children with disabilities.

Best of luck to you. I hope you find a solution that works for you and all of your children.

circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Similar, but with a new incident. Sorry for venting in a public forum. I guess my two posts months apart about the same subject is so much more redundant than the fifty million foodstamp or am I preggo posts?

Quoting isaiahbellamom:

Oh my at this again didn't we have this same post a few months ago.

mama2beautiesnb
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 4:25 PM
where r u from? i live in the bible belt and the south and our schools arent like that...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN