Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

FIRST TIME MOM IN NEED OF SOME HELP!!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2007 at 4:11 AM
  • 13 Replies
oh god i've been feeling like crap lately i'm 34 weeks preggo and i have  a tramendous head cold i dont know what else to do i went to the doctor and he said that i can take plain robitussin. I know being preggo you cant take a dam thing to help this but is there any way to reduce this pain. I have had the only lack of sleep. i drown my body is vicks vapor rub and cream, drink tea, room teparature water my mom tried black coffee with cinnamon and sugar of course not a lot of sugar or sweets cause i'm a borderline diabetic, i tried cool shower hot sits in the shower hope to sweat out something and to no avail i'm in so much pain any of you moms have any remdies to share please i would greatly appriciate it. i'm in so much pain it's unbareableCry
by on Feb. 20, 2007 at 4:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Reanee
by on Feb. 20, 2007 at 6:59 AM
Wow.........I'm so sorry your not feeling well, uuummm.............i'm not sure what to recommend that you take because i don't wanna be responsible for you or your baby getting hurt because of some medicine.I can't remember what i took when i was pregnant for a cold because it's been 2 or 2 1/2 years now but i would go to the store or even call the nearest store to you and talk to a pharmacist about what may be good for you to take or go up there and find something over the counter and ask a pharmacist about it . I wish i knew what to tell you, i understand how you are feeling and i just hope you feel better. Let me know how you are doing.
bye,Lizz

ltnbrn
by on Feb. 20, 2007 at 7:41 AM
Asking the pharmacist is a great idea...when I needed some medications (for other things, not a cold), the local pharmacist was very helpful. I took Tylenol for aches and pains while I was pregnant. I understand this is okay, just not Motrin. But, to be safe, you should ask your doctor/pharmacist. Also, ask about Afrin nasal spray. It works locally on the sinuses, but I don't know if it affects the baby. Even just massaging the nasal sinuses can help. Drink lots of water...this helps to thin out the secretions. You might even try warm compresses to your sinus area....it wouldn't hurt anyway!
mandynalex2023
by on Feb. 20, 2007 at 8:27 AM
When I was pregnant my doctor said its ok to take sudafed.  I hope you start to feel better.
momis2busy
by on Feb. 20, 2007 at 8:45 AM
My doctor told my that I can take Tylenol cold and I like it better than anything else still!! I had colds during my pregnancy with my second, ask your dr if you can take that, I did and it helped. Hope that helps! And hope you feel better!
khawley14
by on Feb. 20, 2007 at 9:27 AM
Have you tried Shower Soothers? I think they are made by Vicks. You put one in the shower and the vapors from it help open up your sinuses. They work really well. I get sinus headaches a lot and that seems to be one of the only things that help. Also, try a warm compress. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Karen
autismom
by on Feb. 20, 2007 at 9:30 AM

Hi, sorry to hear your feeling so crappy!! When I was pregnant (4yrs ago) my doctor said I could take ONE sudaphed. I think it didn't help much though. Try a natural health food store if your ify about OTC meds. Or do a search online??? The best is to consult your doctor. Hope you feel better!!

Mistygirl
by on Feb. 20, 2007 at 9:39 AM
I don't know if anyone has suggested this or not, but when I was pregnant I got a bad head cold as well, what i did was I boiled some hot water in a big pot, then I dropped about a tablespoon of menthalatim or Vick's in to the water, then I sat at the table with a towel over my head and just breathed in the steam from the hot water, it really seemed to clear my stuffy nose and it  helped with the pressure in my head for sure, I did that in the morning and in the evening, and it really seemed to help  clear up the nasty head cold. I hope that helps a lttle. I am sorry you are sick.
Lilith617
by on Feb. 20, 2007 at 9:40 AM
I know for a fact that anything made by Tylenol is safe during pregnancy. When I was absolutely forced to, that's what I took during all three of my pregnancies. Tylenol was a godsend.
cristakub
by on Feb. 20, 2007 at 10:44 AM

When I was pregnant I worried about taking anything, so I didn't, what I did do however is use a saline based nasal spray.  Its pretty scary sucking it up your nose at first but it is not bad at all and it works great!

jacqui
by on Feb. 20, 2007 at 10:57 AM
aww i'm sorry your feeling poorly :(
when i was prego i had gesdational diabetes (still don't know how to spell it lol) preeclampsia and anemia so i sorta know how your feeling! my doc said that i could take tylonol cold when i was preggers and the one that worked best for me was the severe congestion one. though now that they have changed the decongestant i'm not sure how good it still is.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)