Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another shooting!!! Chardon Ohio! ***2nd & 3rd Victim Died***

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM
  • 232 Replies
1 mom liked this

The three boys who were killed yesterday 2/27/2012 in Chardon by the shooting. R.I.P boys. 


CHARDON, Ohio - The FBI has said four students are injured and one gunman is in custody after a shooting at Chardon High School Monday morning.

The students have been taken by helicopter to MetroHealth.

Lake County Sheriff's Department said that one shooter is in custody. Teresa Hunt, the mother of a student at the high school, told NewsChannel5 that the second suspect has also been apprehended.

Hunt told NewsChannel5 that her daughter said that she heard shots fired in the cafeteria at about 7:30 a.m. Hunt has been texting with her daughter who said students are scared.

Hunt said that her daughter told her that there are two shooters and one is still at large. She did not know if anyone was injured or killed.

Lake County Sherrif's Department said it sent SWAT unit and truck unit to Chardon.

A command scene has been setup at a local Walmart where Bob Herp, a Chardon trauma nurse, said helicopters on the ground right now.

Nicole Nichols told NewsChannel5 that her daughter goes to Chardon Middle School. They were told classes would be canceled today, and the high school students are being moved to the middle school. She said her daughter told her there were four people shot and two gunmen are in custody.

Chardon School District sent a voicemail to parents that schools are closed and high school students are being moved to the middle school.

NewsChannel5 received a call from Elton Brooks who said his daughter, a teacher at Chardon High School told him the school is under lockdown. He said his daughter is safe but is hearing that a shooter is still in the school.

Hundreds of people on Twitter are saying that the authorities are on scene for a possible shooting.


4 Students Shot at Chardon High School; Suspected Gunman in Custody

CHARDON, Ohio — According to Chardon Local Schools Superintendent Joseph Bergant II, four students were shot this morning at Chardon High School. The suspected lone shooter has been taken into police custody.

Saying that the district is in “crisis mode,” CLS Community Coordinator Ellen Ondrey says that the Chardon Police Department remains at the scene and that the school remains on lockdown.

Ondrey adds that all classes in the district have been cancelled. She says students at the high school and middle school had already started their day and bus runs for elementary school kids were stopped. Arrangements are being made to get every CLS student home safely. Parents of high school students are being instructed to go to Maple Elementary School to pick up their children.

A parent with whom Fox 8 News talked said that his child had called him from inside the high school. His son suggested that the shooting occurred in the cafeteria and that a total of five shots had been fired. Fox 8′s Stacey Frey reports that student speculation is that there were two shooters, but that has not been confirmed by officials.

MetroHealth Medical Center confirms to Fox 8 News that at least one medical helicopter was sent to the scene. Angela Kiska, of the Cleveland Clinic, says that two of the victims were transported to Hillcrest Hospital. There is no initial information regarding victim conditions.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich has issued the following statement:

“Please join me in praying for the students who’ve been injured in this horrible crime. Praise goes to the Chardon Police and Geauga County Sheriff’s Office for quickly getting this situation under control. I’ve pledged Ohio’s full support to them, the school and the local community in this difficult time.”


Parent Says Shooter Was “Going for Certain People”

A parent with children attending Chardon schools, Jennifer Becker, says that the alleged shooter was, “Going for certain people.”

According to Becker, who appeared on Fox 8 News via the telephone, her children were in Chardon High School at the time of the shootings and Becker says the shooter was not randomly firing, but targeting specific individuals.

Geauga County Sheriff Daniel McClelland says that five students are hospitalized following the shooting.

At a late morning news conference, McClelland said that three of the injured students were transported by Life Flight to MetroHealth Medical Center and two others were taken to Hillcrest Hospital.

McClelland would not identify the shooter at that press conference.


Daniel Parmentor ID'd as fatality in Chardon High shooting, gunman said to be T.J. Lane, student, (video, photos, Facebook page) From The Lake County News-Herald and wire reports

One victim of Monday’s shooting at Chardon High School has died, according to Chardon Police Chief Tim McKenna.

The school was evacuated a few hours after the 7:38 a.m. incident. FBI and Geauga County Sheriff’s officials say one shooter is in custody after five people were injured.

MetroHealth Medical Center, which received three of the victims, has identified the deceased student as Daniel Parmentor.

His family made the following statement: “We are shocked by this senseless tragedy. Danny was a bright young boy who had a bright future ahead of him. The family is torn by this loss. We ask that you respect our privacy during this difficult time.”

Chardon Police Chief Tim McKenna said the suspect’s name also will not be released yet, because he has not been charged. He was taken into custody in the area surrounding the school. The other two victims were taken to Hillcrest Hospital. Unconfirmed reports indicate the victims were four boys and one girl.

Freshman Hailey Tarbet said she was sitting in first period doing work when the shooting occurred.

“One of the teachers was screaming, `Lockdown!’ We heard a bunch of doors slamming,” said Hailey. “We went into lockdown practice, and sat against the walls. I didn’t think anything was happening. I thought it was a drill. The other kids heard gunshots and were screaming.”

Chardon High student Sarah Kraska was in art class and also thought it was a drill.

“One of the kids in the class opened the door,” she said. “The police came in with the kids and said, ‘Are any of you armed? Do any of you have guns?’”

Sarah’s mother, Patricia, also has a son at the high school.

Patricia Kraska said her son called her to pick him up after running outside to Maple Avenue with his friends. The boys walked to a friends’ house, where his mother picked him up.

A father of a 10th grade girl who asked not to be identified said: “I heard this young man was being bullied. He was a quiet kid.”

Students are being quoted by multiple televised media sources as saying that the shooter is a fellow student. One told a WKYC-TV 3 reporter that the shooter was a student who “had gotten into trouble a lot at school.”

Chardon Schools spokeswoman Ellen Ondrey said district officials are asking parents not to come to the school.

Officials said their first priority is to question everyone. Sheriff’s Lt. John Hiscox said all students have been removed from the school and taken to Maple Elementary School, and that law enforcement officials are still inside Chardon High.

Parents are standing in a long line outside Maple Elementary, waiting to be reunited with their students.

Geauga County Sheriff’s officials are allowing parents or legal guardians to retrieve middle school and elementary school students in groups of five. Sheriff’s officials are telling parents to be patient as they go through the process of releasing the students.

At 10 a.m., a young man identifying himself as 18-year-old Chardon High School senior Evan Erasmus was interviewed live on Channel 5.

Erasmus said he knows the alleged shooter, whose name he did make public.

“He was not like a jock, a popular kid,”’ Erasmus said. “He has friends, but he would be considered the outcast type.”

Erasmus also said he was in the immediate area when the shooting took place at what he said was “about 7:30 (a.m.).

“I’m pretty sure they were all Auburn (Career Center) students,” Erasmus said, referring to the five wounded students. “I’m not sure if they were targeted or if they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

WKYC-TV 3 spoke to a parent of a male student at the school. He said he heard about the shooting on the radio and raced to the school. He said he had spoken to his son, whom he described as “very calm.”

“I’m absolutely scared out of my mind,” he said. Continued...

“I just want him back. I’m not gonna be able to calm down until I can hold him.”

He said that his son didn’t know much when he spoke with him on the phone.

“He just said he is in lockdown and can’t get out.”

Update #5

Alleged Chardon High School gunman grew up in troubled family hit by divorce, violence

CHARDON, Ohio - A 5 On Your Side investigation into the family life of the alleged teen gunman at Chardon High School reveals a family life disrupted by divorce and violence.

Geauga County Common Pleas Court records show the parents of Thomas "TJ" Lane III divorced in March 2002.

One month later, in April 2002, Lane's father, Thomas M. Lane Jr. was issued at indictment charging him with felonious assault, kidnapping and disrupting public service.

The summons was sent to the address on Wilder Road in Chardon that was searched by police early Monday.

Lane does not own the property but records indicate it is owned by a family member.

But just three months later, Lane was charged with violating a temporary restraining order.

And in August, Lane was charged with attempted murder and a court  order was issued prohibiting contact his wife other than visitation with his children.

Finally, in October of 2002, Lane struck a plea deal and was sentenced on the assault and disruption charges, but the kidnapping charge was reduced to unlawful restraint and the attempted  murder charge was eventually dropped.

Lane was sentenced to four years in prison, but was released just nine months later in July, 2003.

Update #6

5 students shot, 2 killed during Chardon H.S. shooting rampage

CHARDON, OH (WOIO) - Five students were shot at Chardon High School Monday, February 27th by a student gunman. Two of the shooting victims later died at MetroHealth Medical Center.

Authorities arrested and identified the suspected student gunman as TJ Lane, 17.

The shootings occurred just before the start of classes Monday morning around 7:40 a.m. in the area of the school's cafeteria. Lane reportedly opened fire shooting five students.

Three students were transported to MetroHealth Medical Center. Daniel Parmertor, 16, died from injuries shortly after being flown to the hospital. Sources tell 19 Action News that a second victim died at MetroHealth Medical Center around 6:45 p.m. Monday evening. The third shooting victim at MetroHealth Medical Center is listed in critical condition.

The remaining student victims, a 17-year-old male and an 18-year-old female, were taken to Hillcrest Hospital. The male was last listed in serious condition and the female was reported to be in stable condition.=

Family members of Daniel Parmertor released the following statement Monday afternoon:

"We are shocked by this senseless tragedy. Danny was a bright young boy who had a bright future ahead of him. The family is torn by this loss. We ask that you respect our privacy during this difficult time. "

During Lane's shooting rampage, teacher Frank Hall chased the teen away from the building. He later surrendered to innocent bystanders about one hour later. Lane is reportedly cooperating with police.

The high school, which was placed on immediate lock down, was evacuated around 8:50AM. All high school students were then taken to Maple Elementary School where they were reunited with their parents.

The Superintendent immediately canceled all classes for the entire Chardon School District upon hearing the news. Classes have also been cancelled for Tuesday, February 28th.

Update #7

CHARDON, Ohio — A spokesperson for the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office tells Fox 8 News that a student wounded in the Chardon High School shootings has been pronounced brain dead, but remains on life-support at MetroHealth Medical Center.

Medical Examiner’s Office Administrator Hugh Shannon says that Russell King Jr., 17, of Chardon, is being kept alive by machines.

This sad news comes one day after King’s classmate, Daniel Parmertor, was pronounced dead as a result of injuries he sustained in the shootings.

Multiple Fox 8 News sources identified the alleged shooter as Thomas “TJ” Lane. Those sources say that Lane is a student at Lake Academy, a school described on its website as being for “at-risk students.”

The 17-year-old left behind clues about his intentions, but no one thought he was capable of acting on them.

According to a spokesperson for the Geauga County Juvenile Court, a hearing for Lane will be held Tuesday at 3:30 p.m.

Lane is the only individual arrested in connection with the shootings that erupted at 7:38 a.m. Monday.

One day later, Chardon Local Schools classes are cancelled and flags are flying at half-staff throughout the sleepy community known more for snowfall than anything else.

Update #8

Third student, Demetrius Hewlin, dies after shooting rampage at Chardon High School

CLEVELAND - MetroHealth Medical Center confirmed a third student, Demetrius Hewlin , has died following a shooting rampage at Chardon High School that ended with five shot and one under arrest.

His family made the following statement: 
“We are very saddened by the loss of our son and others in our Chardon community.   Demetrius was a happy young man who loved life and his family and friends.  We will miss him very much but we are proud that he will be able to help others through organ donation.  We ask that you respect our privacy during this difficult time.“

Hewlin was transported to MetroHealth Medical Center Monday morning, along with two other students,16-year-old Daniel Parmertor and 17-year-old Russell King Jr.

Parmertor was the first to die Monday. King was confirmed dead by the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's Office Tuesday morning.

Two other victims taken to Hillcrest Hospital were a 17-year-old boy, who is in serious condition, and an 18-year-old girl, who is in stable condition, a hospital representative said Monday afternoon.

Police said the gunman who opened up fire in the school early Monday turned himself in after a teacher apparently chased him out of the building.

Sources close to the investigation identified the suspect as 17-year-old TJ Lane.

by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Yeah, that is not far from us either. 

by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:55 AM


by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:56 AM
11 moms liked this

prayingsimple frown

by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:57 AM

 :( It just popped up on my news channel. Hope everyone is ok.

by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Yeah I'm watching the streaming coverage.  I'm praying.

I think I heard they had one shooter contained and one may still be on the run.

by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:58 AM

 Wow how scary! Prayers for everyone involved.

by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Abc news is saying only one shooter who has left and not in custody
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:59 AM
Close to me, too! I'm in Painesville. I'm shocked. Watching it on the news. Our friend teaches there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:00 AM


by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:01 AM

There is 2 shooters, what is detained another is still either in the school or on the run according to the news coverage

Quoting mackQuin:

Abc news is saying only one shooter who has left and not in custody

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)