• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When to take him in?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:18 AM
  • 12 Replies
My almost 3 year old has a random cough. No other symptoms and seems to be acting completely normal other than the cough waking him up at night. I looked on WebMD to try to get some information but I need more and feel stupid calling the doctor over a cough. My question is when do I take him in? How long does a normal cough last? What other symptoms should I watch out for? After typing this maybe I should talk to a doctor. Also at home remedies to help him so it doesn't keep him up at night would be helpful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Honey, steamy bathroom and humidifier/vaporizer for home remedies...... A dry cough can be just from dust, dry heat running, etc.

theycallmemom4
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Watch his chest. If right under his rib cage is going in when he's breathing you need to take him. A cough can be a symptom of asthma. How long has he had the cough? Virus' can take a week to two before they clear up.

allornone
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:28 AM
What does the cough sound like? Wet, dry? Do you have any whopping cough outbreaks in your area?

Dr. Will suggest a humidifer in his room. Raise the foot of the bed with a couple of books. Unless he stays in one spot to keep pillows under him.

They suggest not giving children cough medicine at night because that is how they are trying to breathe when they are sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bannannagirl
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Hey frnnnn. Can you get on fb?

Quoting frndlyfn:

Honey, steamy bathroom and humidifier/vaporizer for home remedies...... A dry cough can be just from dust, dry heat running, etc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bannannagirl
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:33 AM
He has had it for a couple days now.

Quoting theycallmemom4:

Watch his chest. If right under his rib cage is going in when he's breathing you need to take him. A cough can be a symptom of asthma. How long has he had the cough? Virus' can take a week to two before they clear up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bannannagirl
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Dry cough. And yes we just hung out with a couple kids on tuesday whose sister had whooping cough. (She was not there). Also hung out with a another sick kid for about 15 minutes between mom going to work and dad coming home.

Quoting allornone:

What does the cough sound like? Wet, dry? Do you have any whopping cough outbreaks in your area?

Dr. Will suggest a humidifer in his room. Raise the foot of the bed with a couple of books. Unless he stays in one spot to keep pillows under him.

They suggest not giving children cough medicine at night because that is how they are trying to breathe when they are sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happygolucky106
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:38 AM

get a vaporizer,add about 1/8 tsp salt to warm water, place vaporizer near bed but not to where he can get ahold of it,,it will suppress his cough at night, my son is 10 and it has always helped him at night,,,JMO

southernchick06
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mazie0723
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Pertussis is going around so be careful. I hope he feels better soon.

theycallmemom4
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:43 AM

If it's a dry, non-productive cough, I would just give it a few more days. If it's productive, watch what he coughs up. Green take him in, white, just  treat at home.

Quoting bannannagirl:

He has had it for a couple days now.

Quoting theycallmemom4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)