• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think it is okay

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:09 AM
  • 14 Replies

For kids who shoot up schools to be labeled automatically assumed to have bad home lives etc and therefore pitied?

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kansasmom1978
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:11 AM
1 mom liked this

No I don't. It is not necessarily a parents fault their kid decides to shoot up there school.  That kid in Indiana is the only person to blame for that school shooting.  And Columbine is only the fault of Klebold and Harris.  No one made them pull the trigger.  

MsKristinB
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:12 AM

my homelife sucked growing up and I didn't go shoot up schools.  No one takes responsibilty anymore.  Those kids made their own choices, THEY should have to deal with the consequences.  It's not anyone elses fault but their own.

KeepJeep
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:13 AM
I think they are more likely to be labeled as bullied, which is true, than to have bad home lives. I think people most often blame the parents because they feel like they should have seen it coming. They feel like the parents should have been able to stop it somehow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Their background should be looked into but usually they come from nice "normal" middle class homes with no abuse or whatnot going on.  Every person is responsible for their own decisions.  We had an 8 or 9 yr old take a gun to school in our state and it accidently went off in his backpack and shot another child.

mommy_2_be_2010
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:17 AM
Those kids are bullied and looking for a way out I was a bullied kid fortunately my way out is and always was music some kids don't have that

Quoting MsKristinB:

my homelife sucked growing up and I didn't go shoot up schools.  No one takes responsibilty anymore.  Those kids made their own choices, THEY should have to deal with the consequences.  It's not anyone elses fault but their own.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahLizyB
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:22 AM
No. The leader, Eric Harris, who killed all those students at Columbine, had very caring and concerned parents. Yes, he was bullied at school, but later, as noted in the book Columbine, he was found to be a psychopath who had a taste for blood. His sidekick, Dylan Klebold, had a stable home life also, but was severely depressed which led him to follow along with his friend, Of course, these are not always the case, but I think it's different circumstances for each one and it's not always the parents to blame.
KeepJeep
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:23 AM
I'm a high school teacher and I agree that violence such as this is the ultimate tragedy. Violence should never be tolerated under any circumstances. However, bullying usually plays a major role in why these kids finally lose it and act out in horrific ways. Again, I am not condoning this behavior, but everday I witness cruel words and actions inflicted on the less than popular students. As a teacher I intervene as much as I possibly can. However, I'm not at the lunch table or in the parking lot after school. Kids have become increasingly cruel and unrelenting in their behavior towards each other. It seems the weak are preyed upon even more than in decades past. I believe parents need to be aware of how their kids are treating others. I believe bullying must be a number one priority within our schools. If not, we're going to keep losing our children.

Quoting MsKristinB:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsKristinB
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:26 AM

I just re-read my comment and it sounds kinda bitchy.  Sorry. 

I just feel like so many excuses are made in situations like this and it's frustrating. 

Bullying is a horrible thing, my sister went through that in school and she was miserable.  It's sad that more can't be done.

But I do still feel that the choice theirs and no one elses.

Quoting KeepJeep:

I'm a high school teacher and I agree that violence such as this is the ultimate tragedy. Violence should never be tolerated under any circumstances. However, bullying usually plays a major role in why these kids finally lose it and act out in horrific ways. Again, I am not condoning this behavior, but everday I witness cruel words and actions inflicted on the less than popular students. As a teacher I intervene as much as I possibly can. However, I'm not at the lunch table or in the parking lot after school. Kids have become increasingly cruel and unrelenting in their behavior towards each other. It seems the weak are preyed upon even more than in decades past. I believe parents need to be aware of how their kids are treating others. I believe bullying must be a number one priority within our schools. If not, we're going to keep losing our children.

Quoting MsKristinB:

krayzbabylove
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:30 AM

I dont believe that the family should be labled that way automatically. I dont believe that anyone who commits a crime, especially such a crime as that should be pitied for any reason, even if they did have a bad childhood, just as i dont believe that being molested is a reason or excuse for people who victimize others. I have been sexually assaulted, and i dont go around assaulting other people. Bad childhood, and prior experiences dont (most of the time) take common sense and the ability to instinctively know right from wrong away. If someone chooses to ignore those natural feelings and commit a heinous crime, that is on them, and no one else.

wesleysmom08
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:32 AM
This

Quoting MsKristinB:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)