Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am so fed up with my parents.

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:37 AM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

I had to move in with my parents because I left my abusive husband.  They wanted me to finish college, so I did that instead of looking for a job.  Now I have a full-time job and can afford to move out, but I can't afford a whole lot in rent as I make just over minimum wage. 

My parents own my grandmother's house and recently put my grandmother into a assisted living center.  My grandmother paid rent until her house was paid off and then just paid the taxes/insurance until she was put into the assisted living center.

My parents have always told me that if something happened to grandma, that I could move in there and pay them $300 a month for rent.  It only costs $75 a month for the taxes and rent.  Well, now they are saying that they will be renting it to someone that will be paying more for rent.  However, they are urging me to move out and I can't find a house that I can afford.

It just ticks me off that they have been promising me this for about 5 years and I had to move in with them 1 year ago.  I am so sick of them promising me shit and then saying, oh sorry you can't have that.  They have done this my whole life, why should anything be different now.

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ilayframe
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM
That sucks. I hope they change their minds!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nancym3
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Did you ask them why they promised it you and now are renting it to someone else? What did they say?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashmac03
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe they need the extra income right now.  The cost of living is going up.  I understand your disappointed but you also have to understand your parents can't put themselves into a financial hardship so you can live in the house.  It seems like they have done a lot for you by letting you live with them while you went to school and didn't contribute financially.  

chevy812
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

They don't need the extra income, they have made that evident.  I have been paying the rent to live here, it is not like I live here for free.  I never said that I did not pay anything to live here.  I have been payint 150 per month to live here and they don't pay for the food for my children or me.

Quoting ashmac03:

Maybe they need the extra income right now.  The cost of living is going up.  I understand your disappointed but you also have to understand your parents can't put themselves into a financial hardship so you can live in the house.  It seems like they have done a lot for you by letting you live with them while you went to school and didn't contribute financially.  

Greekmama21
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the others and maybe they feel like you need to step out on your own and be responsible for your kids. Not everyone would have a similar circumstance to what you and your parents have. Maybe rent a townhome or apartment? The world is a hard place and it hardly seems fair to expect it or to be upset over it, especially if they have a history of false promises. 

terpmama
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Quoting nancym3:

Did you ask them why they promised it you and now are renting it to someone else? What did they say?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chevy812
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM

They both say something different.  Dad says that it is because he wants more for rent.  He wants to rent it for $650 a month, however for where we live $450 would be stretching it and everyone has been telling him that. 

My mom on the other hand has done everything to assure me that they will rent it to me until today when she made the comment that I would have to mow their yard and my grandma's yard and then when it rents, I wouldn't have to mow my grandma's yard.

Quoting nancym3:

diane-b
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Did you ask why they keep doing that to you ?

ashmac03
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Maybe in your case then your parents want you to step up and support your children without their help.  I know it's going to be hard but you will be able to make it.  Please don't think I am in anyway not understanding of your situation.  When my youngest two were 4 and 2 I left my husband as well.  I was a SAHM when I left.  It was so hard!  But after about 4 months I was working and paying for everything for my girls and I.  It felt good to support my children without anyone's help.  

Quoting chevy812:

They don't need the extra income, they have made that evident.  I have been paying the rent to live here, it is not like I live here for free.  I never said that I did not pay anything to live here.  I have been payint 150 per month to live here and they don't pay for the food for my children or me.

Quoting ashmac03:

JacksonGirl
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Maybe they need the money to pay for grandma assisted living ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)