Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should i move in or not

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM
  • 30 Replies

my boyfriend wants me to move in with him.  but im on disability/foodstamps.  i live with my parents, thats where i lived when i filed, thats whats on my records and such.  im starting my job assessment and i dont want to move in wit him til im off the benefits/stamps. he doesnt understand that.  i just think before i move in i shouldnt be on any form of assistance.

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kansasmom1978
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Once you move in you have to report you move to benefits.  And then you will have to claim his income.  So you may very well lose them.

gemikris82
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Once you move in you have to report you move to benefits.  And then you will have to claim his income.  So you may very well lose them.

i odnt think i filed my parents on my claim. my caseworker only claimed myself.

Grumpylilpixy
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I think you should be self sufficient before you move in I can agree with that because if you can't take care of yourself fully  right now then he is going to have to support you in some way which will make you dependent on him, which I guess if you really need to you can move back into your parents home if its a emergency type situation.

kansasmom1978
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM

When you move in with your boyfriend it will matter.  

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

thehickinhickor
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:59 AM
you'll only lose your food stamps not your disability. go with your gut don't make it about money ever
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gemikris82
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

I think you should be self sufficient before you move in I can agree with that because if you can't take care of yourself fully  right now then he is going to have to support you in some way which will make you dependent on him, which I guess if you really need to you can move back into your parents home if its a emergency type situation.

he does do alot for me dont get me wrong he knows my income isnt what it used to be.  and if the situation was reversed i would do the same for him. like he pays my car insurance and cellphone bill. 

gemikris82
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Quoting kansasmom1978:

When you move in with your boyfriend it will matter.  

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Ooh ok, only b.c like i said i never claimed my parents income.  my caseworker said that i was filing for myslef since i was there tenent

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:01 PM
IMO, if he truly loves you and wants to be with you, he'll wait until you get everything done that you need to do and are ready. If he rushes you, I'd be concerned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gemikris82
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Quoting thehickinhickor:

you'll only lose your food stamps not your disability. go with your gut don't make it about money ever

im planning on getting rid of the stamps asap once i find a job. i hate being on them.  and i kinow moving in wit eachother will happen evenutally

gemikris82
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

IMO, if he truly loves you and wants to be with you, he'll wait until you get everything done that you need to do and are ready. If he rushes you, I'd be concerned.

thats true.  i think he wants like a family life started since he bought a house.  but i think i should have my fianances in order and an actual job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)