• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ANYONE USE WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM
  • 7 Replies
CAN YOU USE IT IN PLACE OF REGULAR AP FLOUR? I BOUGHT SOME WHEN I WAS MAKING DOG TREATS, BUT NOW I HAVE A HUGE BAG. I THINK I'M GOING TO LOOK UP A RECIPE FOR BLUEBERRY MUFFINS. BUT IDK WHAT TO DO WITH A BIG BAG...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mom2aspclboy
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Yes, you can, but your end product will be a bit heavier if you use all whole wheat. Instead, replace half the all-purpose flour in your recipes with the whole wheat flour, especially if you are not used to eating products made exclusively with whole wheat flour. Your end product won't be as heavy & you'll still get the goodness of the whole wheat.

Alliemad_3
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM
You can, but the flour is more dense. I don't like it for baking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Yes, but it will make it more dense. I combine half and half, unless I want my end product to be heavier (like when I make scones...I don't mind them being a little on the dense side).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaT1983
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM
I made a chocolate cake with whole wheat flour and it was very bread like I guess you'd say. Hubby and kids loved it but I wasn't used to it lol. If I made any other cakes or desserts with I'd use half and half so it isn't so dense. But it didnt take away from the taste which I thought it would.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dorra
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Allrecipes.com. Awesome site.

MsKristinB
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM

when I make bread I use 1/2 wheat and 1/2 unbleached flour.  You can use all wheat, but it'll make things a bit heavier. 

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:26 PM

You can replace ap flour.

I usually replace 1/2 with whole wheat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)