Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All Right, Who Wants To Tell Me The Big Secret? *UPDATED with Elaboration

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM
  • 16 Replies

My daughter turned three on December 1, and is no closer to being potty trained.  I am all for "wait until they are ready", but I do feel that she should be at least a little further along at this point.  It would be nice if she is at least daytime potty trained by her fourth birthday.  At this point, I am open to just about any new advice.

Perhaps I should clarify:

The main issue is that she is afraid to pee without a diaper/pull-up/etc on.  When she was almost two, we got her a little potty, a sticker chart, the whole shebang.  She was very excited and eager at first.  I put her on the potty for 10 minutes every 30 minutes, and just before/after bed/going out.  For a little over a week, it seemed like she was getting the hang of it.  Then, one day, she stood up from the potty just a little too soon and peed all over herself and the bathroom floor.  She was mortified.  After that, every time I would try to set her on the potty, or even get her undressed to bathe (anytime she had to remove her pull-up, in other words), she would freak out.  I am not talking about a regular tantrum either.  A mother knows the difference between "I just don't want to stop playing to potty, so I'm gonna get pissed off" and "I'm scared".  She basically developed a phobia.  After a few more weeks, I decided we should take a break, because it was only getting worse.  I started again about six months later, but then my husband got orders for Hawai'i (Army).  Our stuff was getting packed one day, moved out another, then we stayed with my mom for a few weeks, then we moved here and stayed in a hotel, then in this house with temp furnishings, then all our stuff was here....I don't need to tell my fellow mothers how "well" toddlers handle sudden and constant change.  Once we were finally settled, I started trying again, but that was three months ago, and she remains as stubborn as ever.  The freak outs have stopped, and she does have good potty days, but for the most part she is far from using the toilet on her own and still holds it in most of the time until she has a cover back on.

Right now, she uses cloth training pants with plastic covers attached to them (sort of cloth diaper pull-ups).  Also, I homeschool, so I can't use "no preschool until you are potty trained" thing.

In a nutshell, I am....a hippy-dippy; music craving; picture painting; story writing; kitchen loving; nature loving; vegetarian meal diggin'; OCD having; semi co-sleeping; non-spanking; big family wanting; homeschooling; homemaking; wife of a soldier; SAHM to the beautiful Lucy Rose!

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ilovemykids732
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM

This summer get a little pool, tell her she can go in it if she pees first... but if she pees IN it she cant play in it the rest of the day... worked with my oldest son... and once she shows you she can pee in it, dont let her fool you...

sorcha1945
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I did the three day potty training method.  Does not matter if they are showing interest or not.  It worked no my son in 2 days.  It was amazing!   It is all about teaching your child to understand their own body signals.

SophistiSlut
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Does she have underwear? I would suggest maybe taking her to pick out her own, then telling her that if she pees on the princesses/stars/Buzz Lightyear/whatever, they will be sad.

And one more bit of advice. DO NOT BUY FREAKING PULL UPS! Kids put them into the same category as diapers, not underwear.

thickmamaof2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Its all about bribing! Let her pick out her own undies to. If theres a toy she wants tell her she has to go pee pee in the potty for 5 days or whatever you choose. Bribing is how i got my son potty trained in a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KarmicChild
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Quoting sorcha1945:

I did the three day potty training method.  Does not matter if they are showing interest or not.  It worked no my son in 2 days.  It was amazing!   It is all about teaching your child to understand their own body signals.

Can you elaborate a little?  What does it entail?

In a nutshell, I am....a hippy-dippy; music craving; picture painting; story writing; kitchen loving; nature loving; vegetarian meal diggin'; OCD having; semi co-sleeping; non-spanking; big family wanting; homeschooling; homemaking; wife of a soldier; SAHM to the beautiful Lucy Rose!

Susan262
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:59 PM

My dd was 3 when she did it herself.  I had tried several times but then one day she just did it on her own and was pretty complete in 3 days.

KarmicChild
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Quoting SophistiSlut:

Does she have underwear? I would suggest maybe taking her to pick out her own, then telling her that if she pees on the princesses/stars/Buzz Lightyear/whatever, they will be sad.

And one more bit of advice. DO NOT BUY FREAKING PULL UPS! Kids put them into the same category as diapers, not underwear.

She has about 20 pairs of underwear.  I tried the straight-to-underwear method for a MONTH!  Resolve can only do so much for furniture.  She wears pull-ups at night and when we go out.  At home she wears basically the pull-up equivelant of cloth diapers.

CallieLynsMommy
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:00 PM
DD didn't fully train until she was almost 4. Finally, I told her she couldn't go to school unless she learned to go potty. We used a potty chart and it helped. She only took 2 days to learn and hardly any accidents since then.

Your DD will, just give her time. Try a chart and treats. Also, no pull ups, they just confuse kids IMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caito
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I'm in the same boat. Mine turned 3 on December 26th and isn't ready AT ALL.

mandee1503
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I put dd in panties, no pants so she could get them down easier, and told her, I'm tired of changing your diapers/pull ups. Go on the toliet. We haven't had an accident since. That was a few months back. I've just been so busy with ds that I never really pushed her to go, and she knew how, she was just lazy and I allowed her to be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)