• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I tell my mom....

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:32 PM
  • 26 Replies

That I don't want to do her taxes anymore?

Every year she waits until 2-3 weeks before April 15th to get me everything. I hate it when she pesters me then to get them done immediately.

I'm doing this for free, but she expects me to just sit and do only her taxes like I don't have a business (not doing taxes), work and my kids and now I have my DF in the picture.

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batsbelfry
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:37 PM

That's a tough one.  Have you tried explaining to her what you have told us here?  Let her know that you have a tight schedule and she needs to respect that.  Is there any way you could assist her in getting her stuff together ahead of time?

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I tell her in November EVERY year. I need these taxes by End of January so we can get things rolling. At least her business things she should know. W-2's and 1099's I told her I can put those in and get those figured out but I want to make sure HER business information is wrote up correctly.

She never gets me it on time and I hate it.

This year I have cub scouts with 2 boys (not just one like prior years), planning a wedding, I just started my own business, I work a "boring" job as well. It's annoying.

Quoting batsbelfry:

That's a tough one.  Have you tried explaining to her what you have told us here?  Let her know that you have a tight schedule and she needs to respect that.  Is there any way you could assist her in getting her stuff together ahead of time?

Manaroo
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM
I would tell her she has to have everything to you by march 1st if she wants you to do them. Explain that you are busy and need more time. Do they really take that long to do? I used to do mine and if I remember correctly it only took about a half hour. But anyway, I would tell her exactly what you posted here. Hopefully she will understand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:43 PM

For her... it does take that long. She has a job plus a business and NEVER has everything wrote down right. I have to decifer crap.

It takes about 2hours to do her taxes because of the business deductions, etc. And that's ONCE I get all her right information

Quoting Manaroo:

I would tell her she has to have everything to you by march 1st if she wants you to do them. Explain that you are busy and need more time. Do they really take that long to do? I used to do mine and if I remember correctly it only took about a half hour. But anyway, I would tell her exactly what you posted here. Hopefully she will understand.

batsbelfry
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Talk to her about respecting your time then give her a due date and stick to it.  Maybe if she ends up having to pay someone to do them she will be more timely next year. 

Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:49 PM

tell her either she gets her information to you by a certain date or you aren't doing them anymore. you don't want to be doing them last minute and rushing.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:49 PM

LOL I've been telling her for at least 5 years that I need everything by beginning of March no later. I prefer by beginning of Feb but that never happens.

Quoting batsbelfry:

Talk to her about respecting your time then give her a due date and stick to it.  Maybe if she ends up having to pay someone to do them she will be more timely next year. 

MamaLub
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:51 PM
File an extension and tell her you'll get to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I don't want to do them for her, that's the thing

Quoting MamaLub:

File an extension and tell her you'll get to it.

PestPatti
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Just tell her straight up, and if she doesn't get it don't do it for her.  If I'm doing the favor I'm doing it my way.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)