Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This may be a silly thing to worry about but (related to young kids interests and how much you should give them free reign with them)

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM
  • 12 Replies

First a little back story....about a year ago I walked downstairs to see that DD had come down and turned the TV on.  No biggie, she's allowed to turn it on but normally she asks or says "mom i'm going to watch tv."  Since she didn't I wasn't aware that she was downstairs watching Grey's Anatomy on lifetime.  When I come down its right in the middle of Miranda performing surgery on some guy.  I go to change the channel, thinking that it would probably scare DD or freak her out (she was only 3 at the time) and she says "NOOOO MOM!  Its not gross they had to cut him open to fix his insides.  They're just fixing him I wanna watch." 

I know she had just turned on the tv (I had only been upstairs alone a sec) so I ask her how she knew they were just fixing him.  She says she saw grandpa's "car" (scar) and he told her that a doctor had to get inside him so they could fix his sick heart.  She said again "its ok they just have to get to your blood to fix you sometimes."  I explained to her that a person that does that is called a surgeon, and that I thought it was kinda cool that it didn't gross her out because when I was her age I would've been a little scared seeing stuff like that.  Then I changed the channel and we went about our day.

Well, ever since then, she's become a little obsessed.  She tells everyone (anytime the "what do you want to be when you grow up" question comes up) that she wants to "cut people open so she can fix their sick insides."  She asks me questions about fixing peoples insides, and I try to answer them the best I can.  Most of the questions have been pretty general.  I taught her that surgeons have different names depending on what part of the body they fix, that if she wants to do that when she grows up she'll have to take lots of math or science classes...stuff like that.  Anytime I'm flipping through the tv if she sees a show that looks like ANY kind of doctor show, she wants me to stop so she can watch it.

I'm trying to allow her to explore and find interests in whatever she wants, but she's also just 4 so I dont know how much medical stuff would be "too much" for her.  So far nothing she's seen has phased her or seems to gross her out.  She's so matter of fact about it and I was just not like that at her age.

Her latest request is to see a REAL surgery.  She says "not a pretend one like on tv....like FOR REALLLLLLL!"  I told her that doctors cant let people in when they are doing surgeries because they have to keep things really clean and some people dont want non-doctors watching them like that when they are sick and need to be fixed.  So now she's asked if i can find one on the computer.  I'm sure I COULD easily find a surgery on youtube or something....but should I?  Is this normal for a four year old to be THIS interested?  Like I said, I think its cool that she's into lots of science type stuff but I'm also a little worried that if she sees it "for real" that it may be a little much and could bother her.  Is it too much too soon?  What would you do?

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaGreenhalge
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM
I think there are some games where maybe she could "perform" surgery herself. I am really not sure about the whole watching a real one thing. That's a tough call.

It sounds like you have a really cool little girl, though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosaleeandtwo
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Thanks!  And yeah I think she's awesome lol but she is tough because she seems so much more grown up than four sometimes and I don't always know what to make of it! 

But I'll look for a game like that.  We've been to chuckecheese a few times recently and she wants to spend all her time playing the big operation game, so maybe another game she could play at home would be good.

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

I think there are some games where maybe she could "perform" surgery herself. I am really not sure about the whole watching a real one thing. That's a tough call.

rosaleeandtwo
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:00 PM

BUMP!

jltplk25
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:00 PM
When I was 4 I told my mom, "my heart just aches to be a doctor." I'm now 27 and a nursing major, hoping to perhaps get my masters. :-)

My 5 year old DS has seen some of my study material for anatomy class (just bones! Not reproductive organs lol) and has started to learn the bones along with me. He even knows what the brain looks like and I've never shown him a picture...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ladybugemt
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:01 PM
I know there is a game to do it to a frog. If she is interested I'd say let her
LCWAmommy
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM
There is a web site called edheads check it out my son has been doing virtual "surgery" since he was 4 lol he loves it

Quoting rosaleeandtwo:

Thanks!  And yeah I think she's awesome lol but she is tough because she seems so much more grown up than four sometimes and I don't always know what to make of it! 

But I'll look for a game like that.  We've been to chuckecheese a few times recently and she wants to spend all her time playing the big operation game, so maybe another game she could play at home would be good.

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosaleeandtwo
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I found a pic on the 'net before of the body (I don't know what its called but its the one that is just the torso and shows just the organs in that area), and she was all about that.  Wanting to know what each thing was called and what it did.  I know the basics but I'm definitely no doc or nurse so I explained it but in extreme layman's terms I'm sure!  She really thought the intestines were cool because "they look really squishy." 

When I was her age I was into playing dolls and dress up lol.  This is very new for me!

Quoting jltplk25:

When I was 4 I told my mom, "my heart just aches to be a doctor." I'm now 27 and a nursing major, hoping to perhaps get my masters. :-)

My 5 year old DS has seen some of my study material for anatomy class (just bones! Not reproductive organs lol) and has started to learn the bones along with me. He even knows what the brain looks like and I've never shown him a picture...

rosaleeandtwo
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I will....thanks!

Quoting LCWAmommy:

There is a web site called edheads check it out my son has been doing virtual "surgery" since he was 4 lol he loves it

Quoting rosaleeandtwo:

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

MsKristinB
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:39 PM
Does she have the game Operation? I think it's cute, but I understand your concern too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosaleeandtwo
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Yup that one she does have! :)

Quoting MsKristinB:

Does she have the game Operation? I think it's cute, but I understand your concern too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)