Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog people, please help

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:15 PM
  • 16 Replies
We adopted a puppy from the local shelter and were told it is a dashound (sp?) mix. Turns out it has some kind of herding breed in her. She is constantly biting the kids and chewing everything outside. The chewing isn't really a problem inside. But she has destroyed our back yard and the back of our house. She digs, has chewed the cable wire, ruined the siding and door. I'm fed up, the kids can't even play outside anymore and they get upset when the dog is inside because she jumps on them and bites them if they are on the floor. I do understand she is a puppy. But, will obedience training help with any of it (since I know some of it is due to her breed) or not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicsmama09
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Of courses training will help
puppies chew and bite
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cbk_mom3
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Yes, the training will help. Also, get her something, rawhides, rubber bones, something, anything like that to chew on.

DallasGirl214
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:28 PM
Take her to training before you give up on her. I think it will help.

One thing trainers told me is to put coins in an empty can and shake it at the dog if they're doing something they're not supposed to.

Another thing, leash her when she's indoors. Keep her next to you at all times. That's what we did with our Boxer puppy. It has really helped and now he is able to be off of the leash sometimes in the house.

Crate also helps. If you're inside and can't watch her or too busy to keep her on a leash then put her in the crate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barrelracer1699
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

This! Also the chewing doesn't come from a hearding breed. Usually the hearding breeds will just run around the kids till they get "herded" into a spot. More than likely the nipping and chewing is the puppy. Try training before giving up on it, espically if he came from a shelter as usually they end up back there it is death to them.

Quoting cbk_mom3:

Yes, the training will help. Also, get her something, rawhides, rubber bones, something, anything like that to chew on.

luvmymonkeys27
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Yes, training will help immensely. Herding dogs are incredibly intelligent and busy-- they need things to do. You need to provide her with some kind of stimulating activity that caters to her herding personality. 

Texasgal99
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:34 PM
She does "herd" the kids, she nips at their calves trying to get them to go where she wants them to.
Chewing isn't a problem inside since we do give her rawhides, but outside is really the problem.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

This! Also the chewing doesn't come from a hearding breed. Usually the hearding breeds will just run around the kids till they get "herded" into a spot. More than likely the nipping and chewing is the puppy. Try training before giving up on it, espically if he came from a shelter as usually they end up back there it is death to them.

Quoting cbk_mom3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcsg
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM

She and the family need training.  Puppies are a lot of work.  She needs things to keep her occupied and chew on.  Lots of walking and leash training too. 

Texasgal99
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:36 PM
We have her crate trained inside, most of the problems are when she's outside or when the kids are around.

Quoting DallasGirl214:

Take her to training before you give up on her. I think it will help.

One thing trainers told me is to put coins in an empty can and shake it at the dog if they're doing something they're not supposed to.

Another thing, leash her when she's indoors. Keep her next to you at all times. That's what we did with our Boxer puppy. It has really helped and now he is able to be off of the leash sometimes in the house.

Crate also helps. If you're inside and can't watch her or too busy to keep her on a leash then put her in the crate.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stacie-Kim
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:38 PM

how old is she?? you can train her to not chew on the kids she needs to be corrected as soona s it happens .. you can use hot sauce if there is something you dont want her to chew on I used it on my carpet my dog hates the taste and stopped .. google tricks on how to deal with her issues get her thinbngs she can chew on Bones ect.. she is prob teething 

Stacie-Kim
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:39 PM

very true a lot of the times we as humans need the training more on how to deal with the issue 

Quoting jcsg:

She and the family need training.  Puppies are a lot of work.  She needs things to keep her occupied and chew on.  Lots of walking and leash training too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)