Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Water for 3 month old??

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:42 PM
  • 37 Replies
DD has a runny nose and a bad cough that her brother so lovingly passed on. Her cough is the worst when she is finished nursing. Soooo.... Would it be okay to give her a few sips of water when she is done eating?? To help with the phlegm??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kemmerer411
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:43 PM
I would. But just like an ounce.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2_3blessings
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Waters not gonna really help...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beerebelly

I don't see why not.

UxorQuodMatris.
I wouldn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fahmom
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Nope. A little prob wont hurt but its not going to help so don't bother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmymonkeys27
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I don't think that a few sips of cooled boiled water would be an issue... apparently if you give them a lot of water before six months it can interfere with a baby's ability to "absorb the nutrients in breast milk or formula.... In rare cases, a baby who drinks too much water can develop a condition known as water intoxication, which can cause seizures and even a coma. Water intoxication happens when too much water dilutes the concentration of sodium in the body, upsetting the electrolyte balance and causing tissues to swell" (BabyCenter)-- but I think in that case, they're talking about significant amounts of water. I would imagine a few sips would be fine. 

usmc.momma
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:57 PM
I just want to give her a sip so it can flush my milk down her throat so phlegm doesn't get too bad.

Quoting luvmymonkeys27:

I don't think that a few sips of cooled boiled water would be an issue... apparently if you give them a lot of water before six months it can interfere with a baby's ability to "absorb the nutrients in breast milk or formula.... In rare cases, a baby who drinks too much water can develop a condition known as water intoxication, which can cause seizures and even a coma. Water intoxication happens when too much water dilutes the concentration of sodium in the body, upsetting the electrolyte balance and causing tissues to swell" (BabyCenter)-- but I think in that case, they're talking about significant amounts of water. I would imagine a few sips would be fine. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmymonkeys27
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Yeah I don't think that would be bad for her at all... I hope she feels better soon!! 

Quoting usmc.momma:

I just want to give her a sip so it can flush my milk down her throat so phlegm doesn't get too bad.

Quoting luvmymonkeys27:

bee.awesome
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Sips I would think would be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bee.awesome
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:00 PM
And I hope she gets well soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)