• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

100% selflessly motivated donations?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM
  • 4 Replies

I did not write this, I just want your opinions on this-

Unless you were donating to charities for illnesses solely out of the goodness of your heart (i.e. you don't know anyone anywhere with such an illness, it's not personal to you, and you just realize how important it is to fight against such things), you have no place calling anyone heartless for not caring about an illness that is important to you because someone you know suffers from it.

Chances are you only started to care when your family member got it, and it became "real" to you. Chances are you were not the selfless person you think you are, donating your money to causes with absolutely nothing to gain, like a better future for someone you love.

Which I'm not knocking, don't think I am. We all want what's best for our loved ones, and it's natural and great to support a cause that helps people, even if your interest is not 100% selfless or even 0% selfless... but you don't get to act self righteous when others don't care as much as you do about something you yourself didn't care about until it hit home...

If you didn't start getting involved in the fight against X until it became "real" to you, shut up and recognize the rest of us are just you before you found out someone in your life had a horrible illness, not heartless, not evil... just you, not personally impacted.

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
.Beloved.
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM

BUMP!

Sagely
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:53 PM
You make a good point. I have several friends who do give selflessly though, and I admire them for it. Like they just see a need, realize how they can satisfy or at least reduce it in some way, and they give...wholly.

Ultimately, for most of us, to give something as personal as our time or money, the cause has to be that personal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:57 PM
I think it's accurate to a point.

However, when I was 19, I started donating to St. Jude's because of the telethon on the radio. It made me cry to think that someone's kid had to go through that. At the time, I had no kids and wasn't even pregnant...I just wanted to help. So, yes, sometimes people just give, whether time or money, because they see a need and they feel compelled to help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyslate
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
The only illness anyone in my family suffers from is stupidity and there is no charity for that. I've donated to numerous charities for different causes, it just depends on how much I believe in the cause.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)