Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else going through this (friend related)

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM
  • 8 Replies

I had my son the youngest of all of my friends.  I was 18.  I had already been living with my SO 2 years before getting pregnant.  I had been out of high school.  I have been in college and am now looking to find an internship. 

It's not that I don't have friends, i just can't relate to any of them.  

One is pregnant now, she is 21.  My BFF's are both living with their parents. One is 21 and the other is 23.  It's hard to relate to them and find common interest.  We still hang out, but a lot less now.

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Often times as we grow older and life circumstances, and interests, change we grow apart from our friends.  There's nothing wrong with adding new friends to your circle.

AyaTachihara
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I understand what you are saying. I have friends, and for brief spurts I can maintain a social life, but I find it very difficult to relate to people and especially when alot of the people I know do things I don't agree with. I think motherhood changes most of us in a way that makes it hard to relate to the lifestyle of a younger person without kids or even some with. It's hard to find people to connect with when it's so exhausting being a mother that you don't have much time to put into forming friendships. 

TaughtTot
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I do find myself starting to make friends with people but it rarely goes anywhere.   I am in school and meet a lot of people at the Univ. campus but because I have to rush home, or do homework in between classes because I don't have much free time at home, I find myself not really pursuing any friendships.  I have lots of acquaintances that I have recently met, but as far as new friends, it hasn't been a focal point.

My old friends are still supportive but they have different lifestyles, don't fully understand my life, etc

NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 4:48 AM

It's a hard adjustment to be a mom, no matter what age you are . . . good luck!

mom2cheesebug
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 5:06 AM

I know what you mean. I am the ONLY one of my friends who has thier own home, went to college, and still with my babys daddy. Its hard to relate to them when they are still just running around partying, not working, living at home with mommy and daddy. I can't invite them out to eat, cause they don't have a job to pay for it, i cant invite them to the zoo or chuckie cheese because they have no money. The only thing most of them want to do is come over and drink at my house and then they want me to pay for beer. Hah! Thats why i don't have very many friends anymore, most of them are distant now because i grew up when i had a child and they did not. I can't and really don't want to relate to them.

Caitlin10081989
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 6:12 AM

Find new friends that you can relate to and have common interests with. Keep your old friends to hang out with once in a while. 

jakesmom323
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 6:17 AM
A great saying that has help me understand friendships is, "Friends are there for a reason, a season, or a lifetime." I've had so many stages of friends in my life and hope to find good life long ones that in this stage of my life;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
klespeedy0205
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 6:38 AM

I have a group of seven girls that I regularly hang with. Out of that 7 only 3 have kids, 1 is married, 1 lives with her family.  They are still my best friends. Most of us have known each other since high school. We are in our 30s now. If they are true friends you will know it. If not then move on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)