• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you come to my house?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM
  • 31 Replies

Before having children I was a global makeup artist for a well known luxury cosmetics brand.  This meant i represented the brand traveling around the world for special events, promos, endorsements, fashion shows, magazine shoots ect.  I was always traveling. I took a step back when I got married an limitd my travel within the line to the US only...only occasionaly going over seas.  When I found out I was pregnant I knew that, though I LOVED my job it would not fit in to the life of a new mother.  That is when i quit (though i do still get contracted by the line for shoots/runway in the NYC area) and started my own small business.  I provide makeup and hairstyling (as wel as now fashion styling) for bridal parties, photo shoots, special events of all kinds, and also have a list of clinets who call me for my services just for a night out.  I also have been asked to do one on one as well as group makeup lessons, and make up parties. 

For a few monthes now my husband and I have been talking about ways to expand my business.  I have become busier and more requested than I could handle myself, so at this time I have 3 other artists and stylists who I take with me on bigger jobs, or send in my place.  We had discussed finding space to open a small makeup studio/salon where I can do trials, and host lessons, parties, and makeup events...or where people can come by appoint to have their makeup one/hair styled (no cut or color) or the option for us to come to their home as we do now.  

My husband approached me with a new twist on this.  Doing it at home.  When we purchased our house the original owners had started building and could not afford to finish.  We pruchased the home at an amazing deal about 80% complete and finished the rest ourself with their original builder.  Their orignal plans included a huge room off the already finished basement that was meant to be a home gym.  It has tons of natural light, it's own bathroom, and it's own entrance from the side yard by the garage and driveway.  It's basically a blank canvas right now as we never put much effort in to the design of the room.  My husband just through some weights and cardio macine in that we both use.  His suggestion to to mov e them to the other part of the basement and turn that huge room in to my home studio.  We can remodel and have makeup stations, styling chairs, and have new lighting put in as well. I could do everything here that i could in any rented space in a shopping center or downtown area at a fraction of the cost (no rent or additional bills) Besides it being more cost efficient ...my husband find the major bonus to eb that aside form the fact i do have this business i am a SAHM.  I schedule my appointments 100% around my kids and my family and having this studio home would make that even easier then if i had to travel even 15 minutes away for just a short appointment.  I have babysitters or sometimes my MIL who now watch my kids when I got on appointments.  By doing some of them in home it would cut my time away in half (no travel needed). So while I would still have someone come watch them..it wouldnt have to be for as long.  It's also a place my girls can hold their appointments as well, and i can more easily pop in and be of help or check in if they need me. I would also be wiling to charge my clients less as they would be taking up less of my time, and travel expenses (gas) .  I could do all my trials here, host lesson parties, private lesson, everything! And while it's technically in my home...its a very separate area with it's own entrance.   My husband is an attorney so he is aware of whatever permits legally would be needed to run a small business from home ect so that is not an issue.

My major question here is would you as a client be comfortable with this? Would you be ok going to someone home for a service?  The way I see it...as of now my clinets welcome me in to their homes for these services all the time...so would they not be ok in my home also?...especially since once you get past the door it won't feel like a house but an actual business/salon?  I would also still offer the option to come to their home but would charge less should they come to me...which might be enticing for them.  Just overall my husband and I think for now this might be the best option.  It will cost signifigantly less (only costs would be remodeling the room as opposed to rent, remodel, utilities, ect) and would enable me to continue to truly be home with my children and more easily schedule my work around them, in addition to being more involved and aware of what the girls who work for me are up to and give them an actual "homebase" for their work.  What do you think? Would you come to my home studio if you were my client?

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Uniquecoolio
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:55 PM
sure, why not?
night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Sounds reasonable.

kaelynsmom09
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM
I would. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Harleigh87
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM

i'm sure it would be fine... I personally wouldn't go to anyones house. I did once and it was just crazy with their kids coming in and out. I have kids and it's my only time to "get away" ya know. so as long as you make it look like a nice home and not a home with kids, if you understand that LOL. 

marines          briefcase      typing
Former Marine Working Mommy Group Owner

Harleigh
Single Moms who VENT 

Kaybean
by Kayleen on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM
I say to give it a go. You will never know unless you try. And the fact that you have full support from your DH is awesome. Maybe you can start out by seeing how many clients would be interested in doing that, and if you have enough interest in it, then go for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NowImAMom...
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Yeah, that seems like it would be a good plan!

FutureSoccerM0m
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Yes and I have before.

mcsmom1
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Sure! It sounds like a great idea. I hope it works out for you!

mitchiesgirl
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Sure :) what area are you in? We travel there alot and used to live in Washington Heights
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FL2AK
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:03 PM
I would. My favorite and by far best stylist I ever had worked out of her home. She was trained in Europe, had her own salon for many years but wanted to downsize. She worked out of her home and limited her clientele. It was wonderful and so much fun to go with my friends who also used her and spend the day just hanging out, eating, drinking and having our hair and make up done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)