• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

addiction

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this
Addiction when does a person have a probelm? 3x drunk a week, binge drinking, or using drugs every weekend. When do you think a person becomes chemically dependant?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MyraEllen
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM
When their body becomes dependant on the substance, and thus, their life becomes negatively effected by it. Every addict's story is diferent, but generally that's the short of it from what I've seen in my life and at my job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyraEllen
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Wanted to add an example: my cousin would have a shot of whiskey first thing in the morning not to get drunk, but to hold off being sick so he could go to work. That's not normal, but his body was dependant on the alcohol to feel normal.

He's 96 days sober now, thankfully.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Reina13
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I think it is when they are chemically dependant.

mama_2_jasper
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM
This. My husband would do this, but it would be a pint or a half pint. Totally NOT ok in my book.

Quoting MyraEllen:

Wanted to add an example: my cousin would have a shot of whiskey first thing in the morning not to get drunk, but to hold off being sick so he could go to work. That's not normal, but his body was dependant on the alcohol to feel normal.

He's 96 days sober now, thankfully.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kemmerer411
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM
This.

Quoting MyraEllen:

When their body becomes dependant on the substance, and thus, their life becomes negatively effected by it. Every addict's story is diferent, but generally that's the short of it from what I've seen in my life and at my job.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Addiction is more than chemical dependence. I don't think you can determine dependence absolutely through behavior.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nickysmom71
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I was a cokehead.....I used only on the weekends though...then I OD'ed, died for 2 minutes, was lucky enough to be brought back,  then never touched it again.  Been 22 years.  

Addiction is when you need it to get through the day or get through hard times...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)