Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Organic -vs- Non-Oragnic

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:54 PM
  • 14 Replies

Please someone explain to me why there is such a HUGE price difference.

If organic is supposed to be better for you because it's more natural and processed less.... why is it at least double the price of processed non-organic foods?

I guess I just don't get the whole non-organic and organic bullshit.

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicki.hemingway
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Short answer is that non organic farmers is subsidized by the government while organic farmers have to pay to get certified.

eema.gray
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Because organics are considered a "niche market."  Therefore, producers feel entitled to charge more.

I don't buy processed foods "organic" because I figure that by the time the product makes its way to a box/jar/can/etc, any benefit of organic ingredients has probably been lost (exception being tomatoes, I always buy organic canned tomatoes).  Actually, I don't buy much produce from the grocery organic either.  I get a summer CSA share that works out to about $26/week for six months of deliveries.  That's far, far cheaper than buying weekly or biweekly organic at the grocery, in our area anyway.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM

BUMP!

Mipsy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Not all stuff claiming organic is organic. Lol! I think its all a crock of sheet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:03 PM

That's what I was thinking....

like what's the difference between organic bananas and non-organic bananas?

Quoting Mipsy:

Not all stuff claiming organic is organic. Lol! I think its all a crock of sheet.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Because it takes more effort and money to keep pests off of produce without using dangerous chemicals.

mitchiesgirl
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:07 PM
This... we mostly eat organic, about 90%... Once there are organic options readily available for everything we'll buy only organic :)

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Short answer is that non organic farmers is subsidized by the government while organic farmers have to pay to get certified.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hautemama83
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Well there's two reasons really. One being government subsidizing, and the other being a trend.

I personally only buy certain things organic. Dairy and produce.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:11 PM
They claim to not use harsh chemicals and crap but they have found that some still do.

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

That's what I was thinking....

like what's the difference between organic bananas and non-organic bananas?

Quoting Mipsy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Because you can't use pesticides which means you lose more crop. So an acre of non-organic will have more useable crop where organic can be eaten up by bugs.

Organic farmers also are held to higher standards, they must be approved for this and that and have certifications.

On top of all that because it does make a difference people are willing to pay extra.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)