Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

THIS is NOT an answer for abortion.

Posted by   + Show Post

What a mess. This is scary . I HATE abortion But I LOVE women and they should all have ACCESS to birth control. How did things go so wrong?

The article is extremely long so I am including the link and some pieces of the article. i just think that being pro-life shouldn't mean people cut all funding and availability of BIRT CONTROL , it's wrong and could cause more expensive problems later. Yes I want women to not abort their children but isn't it best, all the way around, if they can get birth control and not get pregnant when they aren't willing to or able to support children? 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/05/us-states-slash-birth-control-idUSTRE8240ZM20120305

Mon Mar 5, 2012 10:41am EST

(Reuters) - Even as a national debate rages over contraception insurance, tens of thousands of low-income women and teenagers across the United States have lost access to subsidized birth control as states slash and restructure family planning funds.

the Texas funding cut prompted Planned Parenthood to shut down 11 clinics. It also has jeopardized a $40 million family-planning program run as a Medicaid extension.

The program provides free birth control and annual exams to 130,000 low-income women of reproductive age who don't qualify for regular Medicaid. The federal government pays 90 percent of the cost; Texas puts up just $4 million a year.

About 40 percent of women in the Texas program get subsidized care from Planned Parenthood clinics, but a new state law blocks those clinics from participating. The Obama administration has said that violates federal Medicaid rules. If neither side compromises, the program will likely close by the end of March.

That infuriates Jonee Longoria, a single mother in Houston who relied on the program for free services for several years as she put herself through college. "I had one child living in poverty and I didn't want another," Longoria said.

She now works for a social service agency and refers many clients to the program for contraception. Without it, she said, "where would they go?"

Advocates of defunding Planned Parenthood say they regret any service disruptions for poor women. But they call it a necessary price to pay to take a moral stance on abortion.

"We're just doing what we think is best," said Joe Pojman, executive director of Texas Alliance for Life, 

by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Replies (521-530):
harehelper
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Have you guys not checked out the unemployment rates lately? The people who most need the jobs a lot of times are the ones who for whatever reason didn't go to college and are considered unskilled labor. There are a lot of jobs out there like that of course, but far too few for everyone that needs one. I myself have been trying to get a job for eight months and had no luck. Just five years ago, I could have turned in three apps and had one or even two interviews. Now? Barely even a call back on all the apps I have put in.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Seriously! I get people fall on hard times and need some help, but those hard times shouldn't last years and even in hard times, everything shouldn't come free.

Quoting StevensCare4u:

Finally someone with some damn sense in this post!!!! People feel that since your free everything else should be too.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I agree with this. I also don' think medicaid should pay for birth control, unless you are on medicaid for disability or under a certain age. I'm a young mom (20) and I have a job that has health insurance. If I can find a job that has health insurance, than why can't someone who is 5-10 years older than me do the same? At the very least, if you are out over the age of 21 and not in school you should have to pay a co-pay (something equal to the amount if you had insurance)

Quoting StevensCare4u:

I didnt read the article, but my view on this topic is simple. Young women should have BC availible to them for free. I mean under 21 years of age. By 21 a women should be self sufficiant enough to be able to supply her own BC. BC is much cheaper then having a child. So for someone to say "I cant afford it" is crazy. HAving sex is a choice, not something that you have to do. If you CHOOSE to have sex then you should CHOOSE to purchase it yourself as an adult.

Now, this whole deal with Rush Limabugh (I have no idea how to spell is name), I don't quite get what the girl was promoting. All the articles I read said she was trying to get a law passed where insurance companies would have to pay for birth control, what confuses me, is I don't know many if any private insurance companiesthat WON'T pay for birth control. Now I know that most companies are specific (like you they will only pay for certain types) and you still have to pay your co-pay for prescription and office visit (sometimes with really good insurance this is waved).

I get where a lot of people are coming from. It is not the government's responsibilityto pay for you to have sex. Having sex is not a necessity and if it is something you CHOOSE to do you should find the means to protect yourself.

I think a lot of it comes down to s since of entitlement. Why does ANYONE feel that the government should pay for THEM at ALL?

Granted, I was once on GA (I think y'all call it PA??) but I never once complained about what the government did or did not pay for me.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM
People who can't afford birth control are already on assistance. If you can afford life without assistance then you can afford birth control.

I don't want funding to be cut. I think it'd be stupid for the reasons you stated, but I also don't feel the government MUST provide it. I'd rather state health cover pap smears and STD testing then birth control that is very affordable without insurance. Birth control isn't the only way to prevent either. NFP is free and so is the information on how to practice at the library and condoms are inexpensive.

Quoting seraphimsong:

The problem is, is that of funding is cut that those who can't afford birth control & are getting it at $10 a pack will no longer get it at that price. They will have to pay much, much more to buy BC.

If they could barely afford it at $10 a pack, how an we expect them to affor it at $50 a pack? What do you think will happen?

They will stop buying it because it will be a choice between dinner on te table or BC.

They will most likely end up pregnant & either want an abortion or have another child, which they any afford, that will end up on welfare. Where we will all continue to pay anyway.

So how does cutting funding for BC for low income women get us ahead in any way??

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

No I said that poor people should learn the free way to prevent pregnancy that is 99% effective or refrain until they can afford to pay for birth control. If the government cuts funding the majority of poor people can spare the money, esp. if they budget wisely and cut out things that arent needed like cable, Internet, cell phones.

Quoting raainwitch:

Did you just say that poor people shouldn't have sex simply because they're poor?

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Then they should go to the library and learn about NFP or refrain until they can afford it. I know what it's like to have no money but if you can get yourself to Planned Parenthood, then you can scrape up $10 and pay for a pack of pills that could prevent you from getting pregnant. If not, they offer free condoms which will also protect you from STD's.

Quoting Lillymygirl:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I am pro-life and will not use birth control for contraceptive because personally it is basically like an abortion *to me* if my baby cannot implant. I do believe everyone should have access to birth control and everyone will, but I don't feel it's the governments place to provide these services because birth control is very affordable anyways.

Quoting randi1978:

How are they "doing what's right" by making it harder for women to access contraceptives?

Oh, wait.....even birth control is abortion to some of them backwoods yahoo's.....Single women are supposed to be nuns until Prince fucking Charming comes along with a marriage proposal.

If people can not afford it then they can not afford it.

The state network, which once provided 220,000 women a year free and low-cost birth control, cervical cancer tests and diabetes screenings, will now serve just 40,000 to 60,000, officials said.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rosea169
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Mess up yes.there is ways around it they just don't want to help us out anymore. They want to cut off on things that we need the more life for our children so that when they need those we will have a heard time getting them."no "you are not ..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
astenken
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Planned Parenthood posts yearly profits in the millions, because of its cash cow, Abortion.  They cut their own funding for prenatal care, because it does not bring them lots of money.  They are all about abortion.  The catholic church is against artificial birth control for many reasons, but most especially because the ones involving synthetic hormones work as abortifacients whenever ovulation is not prevented, and there is no way of telling when ovulation has occured and a fertilized egg is chemically aborted when using regular birth control pills.

mehamil1
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Quoting oncnurse39:

There are other options. How about asking the "man" to put on a condom, and make sure you have one. (Really, why does the responsibility always fall to women? ) Personally, if I were not married and having sex with different people I would be as worried about STDs as an unplanned pregnancy... a pill can't protect you from that. Use a condom ... They're cheap, and if someone can't afford one then maybe that person needs to rethink his or her priorities . Quit waiting on the government to provide, and use the brain you were given.

I agree. However, there are too many men walking around who refuse to wear a condom because it doesn't "feel good". And I know too many women who will give in because they want to please their man/keep their man/make that man like her more/whatever other justification we ladies use in order to keep a man not worth having around. We have to empower women to demand a condom. 

I once met a man who said he'd rather pay for an abortion than wear a condom. He claimed he paid for three abortions so far. I recognized him for the sociopath that he was and ran away screaming. What kills me is that he was really really good looking. Good looking guys get away with so much more, it's heart breaking. 

aperki
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM
You can't pro-life and support Planned Parenthood. That doesn't work. Planned parenthood is very pro abortion. I am the most pro-life woman on the planet. I am against abortion in every aspect. A life begins at conception PERIOD! I do however, think birth control is ok. The problem is that the government has no business funding any of it. They shouldn't fund abortions and they shouldn't fund contraception. I'm sorry, if you don't have the money to buy condoms or birth control pills, then don't have sex. My tax dollars shouldn't have to pay for it. This country has gotten to a point where everyone wants a handout. Why on earth would anyone think the government should pay for your food, drugs, home, school, or anything else. That is not the governments role. There was a point where my husband and I neither one had jobs that supplied insurance. We weren't on Medicaid, we didn't get government funding. We lived on a budget and when we went to the doctor we paid for it, and I was on birth control at the time. He was a painter and in college (which we paid for) and I was a waitress. We did not take any money from the goverent, ever! The government (federal or state) should not be funding abortions or any other medical treatment. IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT THEN DON'T DO IT.
Karens3Stars
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think birth control is evil, per say, nor are the people that use it.  I think that most people have good intentions when using it.  I am a pro-life Catholic who didn't used to be that way.  I used birth control for most of my adult life thus far, only recently tossing it aside.  Not only does the pill affect my body in ways that it doesn't have to, but NFP is the most effective.  If done properly, it's even more effective than the pill, and other birth control methods.

NFP uses the womans natural cycle to prevent pregnancy.  I have four children, with no plans of having more.  We use it for prevention and have been very successful.  There are a lot of couples who do it successfully and there are a lot of benefits to the couple with  NFP. 

I can't get on here and pretend I know all there is to know about NFP, but it's a great method.  www.familynfp.com is a great resource if you want to look at some more information.  I also like nfp.marquette.edu (no www.). 

I too do not like the idea of government paying for choices women and men make in the bedroom.  That is a private choice between them.  I don't understand why I should pay for someone's artificial birth control methods.  The introduction of artificial birth control has not reduced the number of abortions, nor has it made the family stronger, as proponents thought that it would.  So why is there such support for it now? Shouldn't we use what we know about our bodies to protect us, rather than taking chances with sketchy statisitics on effectiveness? Shouldn't we tell our young people that the best way to protect themselves is to just not engage in sexual behavior?

I ask these questions with sincerity.  I understand how email and the Internet can make things sound worse than they are. 

seraphimsong
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Not true.

There is no way I can afford BC and we do not qualify for assistance.

We can't afford the insurance that is offered at the job my dh has right now & my job does not offer it.

Luckily I had my mirena put in before we lost our insurance, but if I didn't I would most defininitely get my BC from the clinic here locally ( not planned parenthood, but similar )

I think BC is one of the better things our tax dollars are going to. There are other areas that can be cut.

Like people that get $700 dollars a month in FS for a family of 5.
Quoting notjstanothrmom:

People who can't afford birth control are already on assistance. If you can afford life without assistance then you can afford birth control.

I don't want funding to be cut. I think it'd be stupid for the reasons you stated, but I also don't feel the government MUST provide it. I'd rather state health cover pap smears and STD testing then birth control that is very affordable without insurance. Birth control isn't the only way to prevent either. NFP is free and so is the information on how to practice at the library and condoms are inexpensive.

Quoting seraphimsong:

The problem is, is that of funding is cut that those who can't afford birth control & are getting it at $10 a pack will no longer get it at that price. They will have to pay much, much more to buy BC.

If they could barely afford it at $10 a pack, how an we expect them to affor it at $50 a pack? What do you think will happen?

They will stop buying it because it will be a choice between dinner on te table or BC.

They will most likely end up pregnant & either want an abortion or have another child, which they any afford, that will end up on welfare. Where we will all continue to pay anyway.

So how does cutting funding for BC for low income women get us ahead in any way??

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

No I said that poor people should learn the free way to prevent pregnancy that is 99% effective or refrain until they can afford to pay for birth control. If the government cuts funding the majority of poor people can spare the money, esp. if they budget wisely and cut out things that arent needed like cable, Internet, cell phones.

Quoting raainwitch:

Did you just say that poor people shouldn't have sex simply because they're poor?

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Then they should go to the library and learn about NFP or refrain until they can afford it. I know what it's like to have no money but if you can get yourself to Planned Parenthood, then you can scrape up $10 and pay for a pack of pills that could prevent you from getting pregnant. If not, they offer free condoms which will also protect you from STD's.

Quoting Lillymygirl:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I am pro-life and will not use birth control for contraceptive because personally it is basically like an abortion *to me* if my baby cannot implant. I do believe everyone should have access to birth control and everyone will, but I don't feel it's the governments place to provide these services because birth control is very affordable anyways.

Quoting randi1978:

How are they "doing what's right" by making it harder for women to access contraceptives?

Oh, wait.....even birth control is abortion to some of them backwoods yahoo's.....Single women are supposed to be nuns until Prince fucking Charming comes along with a marriage proposal.

If people can not afford it then they can not afford it.

The state network, which once provided 220,000 women a year free and low-cost birth control, cervical cancer tests and diabetes screenings, will now serve just 40,000 to 60,000, officials said.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mehamil1
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting astenken:

Planned Parenthood posts yearly profits in the millions, because of its cash cow, Abortion.  They cut their own funding for prenatal care, because it does not bring them lots of money.  They are all about abortion.  The catholic church is against artificial birth control for many reasons, but most especially because the ones involving synthetic hormones work as abortifacients whenever ovulation is not prevented, and there is no way of telling when ovulation has occured and a fertilized egg is chemically aborted when using regular birth control pills.

Everything you have stated here is a lie. 

But nice try. 

seraphimsong
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this
There is a law that makes it illegal for government money to be used for abortions.

Planned parenthood has to use money they earn themselves to pay for abortions.

I think this is why alot of people are against govt funding of PP, because they don't understand that government money is NOT used to fund abortions. Only for BC and well woman exams.

Quoting aperki:

You can't pro-life and support Planned Parenthood. That doesn't work. Planned parenthood is very pro abortion. I am the most pro-life woman on the planet. I am against abortion in every aspect. A life begins at conception PERIOD! I do however, think birth control is ok. The problem is that the government has no business funding any of it. They shouldn't fund abortions and they shouldn't fund contraception. I'm sorry, if you don't have the money to buy condoms or birth control pills, then don't have sex. My tax dollars shouldn't have to pay for it. This country has gotten to a point where everyone wants a handout. Why on earth would anyone think the government should pay for your food, drugs, home, school, or anything else. That is not the governments role. There was a point where my husband and I neither one had jobs that supplied insurance. We weren't on Medicaid, we didn't get government funding. We lived on a budget and when we went to the doctor we paid for it, and I was on birth control at the time. He was a painter and in college (which we paid for) and I was a waitress. We did not take any money from the goverent, ever! The government (federal or state) should not be funding abortions or any other medical treatment. IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT THEN DON'T DO IT.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN