Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

THIS is NOT an answer for abortion.

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM
  • 796 Replies
17 moms liked this

What a mess. This is scary . I HATE abortion But I LOVE women and they should all have ACCESS to birth control. How did things go so wrong?

The article is extremely long so I am including the link and some pieces of the article. i just think that being pro-life shouldn't mean people cut all funding and availability of BIRT CONTROL , it's wrong and could cause more expensive problems later. Yes I want women to not abort their children but isn't it best, all the way around, if they can get birth control and not get pregnant when they aren't willing to or able to support children? 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/05/us-states-slash-birth-control-idUSTRE8240ZM20120305

Mon Mar 5, 2012 10:41am EST

(Reuters) - Even as a national debate rages over contraception insurance, tens of thousands of low-income women and teenagers across the United States have lost access to subsidized birth control as states slash and restructure family planning funds.

the Texas funding cut prompted Planned Parenthood to shut down 11 clinics. It also has jeopardized a $40 million family-planning program run as a Medicaid extension.

The program provides free birth control and annual exams to 130,000 low-income women of reproductive age who don't qualify for regular Medicaid. The federal government pays 90 percent of the cost; Texas puts up just $4 million a year.

About 40 percent of women in the Texas program get subsidized care from Planned Parenthood clinics, but a new state law blocks those clinics from participating. The Obama administration has said that violates federal Medicaid rules. If neither side compromises, the program will likely close by the end of March.

That infuriates Jonee Longoria, a single mother in Houston who relied on the program for free services for several years as she put herself through college. "I had one child living in poverty and I didn't want another," Longoria said.

She now works for a social service agency and refers many clients to the program for contraception. Without it, she said, "where would they go?"

Advocates of defunding Planned Parenthood say they regret any service disruptions for poor women. But they call it a necessary price to pay to take a moral stance on abortion.

"We're just doing what we think is best," said Joe Pojman, executive director of Texas Alliance for Life, 

by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
couponluv72
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM
3 moms liked this

sheer idiocy

art.diva
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM
29 moms liked this

Apparently the answer to preventing pregnancy is slutty women keeping their legs closed. Even the married ones. smdh

Lillymygirl
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM
14 moms liked this

Quoting couponluv72:

sheer idiocy

Isn't it though. I don't understand all of the federal funding rulings and will freely admit that. But what I do understand is that this hatred of planned parenthood is causing people to cut their noses off to spite their face and putting women's health in risk in the end.

Not what this pro-life Christian wants. 

skymama10
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM
11 moms liked this
I read this then "get up, stand up" by bob marley came on Pandora. Oddly fitting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traci_Momof2
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM
27 moms liked this

It's messed up.  They want to end abortion but don't want to provide what most effectively prevents unwanted pregnancy?  Where is the logic?

randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM
33 moms liked this

How are they "doing what's right" by making it harder for women to access contraceptives?

Oh, wait.....even birth control is abortion to some of them backwoods yahoo's.....Single women are supposed to be nuns until Prince fucking Charming comes along with a marriage proposal.

kansasmom1978
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM
60 moms liked this

The answer to abortion is to teach women to respect their bodies. Not sleep with someone if they are not ready to be a parent.  

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:51 PM
38 moms liked this

I think people should have access to health care but I don't nessesarily think that birth control or abortion should be funded by state/government run programs. It costs under $30 a month to pay for birth control, if you don't want to get pregnant then that $30 a month is well worth the cost.

I also use NFP to prevent pregnancy. It's free.

HistoryNutty
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM
4 moms liked this
What did I just read?? I'm disgusted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM
19 moms liked this

I'm pro-life and Catholic, but I don't see how birth control is evil.

The people (Catholics, etc) who are so against funding for birth control pills believe in waiting till after marriage before you have sex. Yes, if people did it that way then it wouldn't be such a big deal if you got pregnant. But here in the real world almost no one waits till marriage and you can't have it both ways. Either you give out birth control or you have a lot of abortions.

I wish the rest of the pro-life movement understood that Planned Parenthood is only "evil" because of funding always getting cut. Planned Parenthood used to offer prenatal services at so many locations...

If Planned Parenthood had their funding for prenatal services back, which do you think they would encourage people towards? Come to our prenatal clinic so we can collect thousands from medicaid or go get an abortion so we will only get a couple hundred? The prenatal clinic in my city's PP was so busy... until August of 2007 when they stopped accepting new patients because their funding was cut off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)