Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

THIS is NOT an answer for abortion.

Posted by   + Show Post

What a mess. This is scary . I HATE abortion But I LOVE women and they should all have ACCESS to birth control. How did things go so wrong?

The article is extremely long so I am including the link and some pieces of the article. i just think that being pro-life shouldn't mean people cut all funding and availability of BIRT CONTROL , it's wrong and could cause more expensive problems later. Yes I want women to not abort their children but isn't it best, all the way around, if they can get birth control and not get pregnant when they aren't willing to or able to support children? 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/05/us-states-slash-birth-control-idUSTRE8240ZM20120305

Mon Mar 5, 2012 10:41am EST

(Reuters) - Even as a national debate rages over contraception insurance, tens of thousands of low-income women and teenagers across the United States have lost access to subsidized birth control as states slash and restructure family planning funds.

the Texas funding cut prompted Planned Parenthood to shut down 11 clinics. It also has jeopardized a $40 million family-planning program run as a Medicaid extension.

The program provides free birth control and annual exams to 130,000 low-income women of reproductive age who don't qualify for regular Medicaid. The federal government pays 90 percent of the cost; Texas puts up just $4 million a year.

About 40 percent of women in the Texas program get subsidized care from Planned Parenthood clinics, but a new state law blocks those clinics from participating. The Obama administration has said that violates federal Medicaid rules. If neither side compromises, the program will likely close by the end of March.

That infuriates Jonee Longoria, a single mother in Houston who relied on the program for free services for several years as she put herself through college. "I had one child living in poverty and I didn't want another," Longoria said.

She now works for a social service agency and refers many clients to the program for contraception. Without it, she said, "where would they go?"

Advocates of defunding Planned Parenthood say they regret any service disruptions for poor women. But they call it a necessary price to pay to take a moral stance on abortion.

"We're just doing what we think is best," said Joe Pojman, executive director of Texas Alliance for Life, 

by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Replies (511-520):
knitnanna
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I am Catholic and Pro-Life and follow the Church's stance on BC and abortion. The current issue is forcing all to pay for services for a select group regardless of the reason for the service. As a culture we need to take personal resonsibility for our actions. You know " if you play you pay"... Somewhere along the line we have become a culture of the entitled... and entitlement programs. If someone wants to have premarital sex, children outside marriage etc and want that right, then I have the right NOT to pay for their personally chosen behavior. I have insurance yet the co-pays are such that we call ourselves the insured poor. My husband and I have costs that are not covered yet very necessary to our health. And I am sure there are millions out there just like us... no one lining up to pay for the services not covered for any of us. I don't want to sound mean or uncaring. I feel for those who have no insurance, low income etc. but somewhere along the line we have gotten off track and feel that if I can't afford "_________" then the government should pay for "it." It is time for personal and democratic responsibility in our country instead of the attitude of entitlements. The problem with Planned Parenthood was in pushing their venue and denying the other side of the issue. In order for a woman or anyone to make and informed decision, both sides should be represented and then the person makes the best decision for themselves. As a tax payer I should not have to be forced to pay for things against my beliefs.Our government is Trilions of dollars in debt and we cannot afford to continue financially as we are or add new debt, it is irresponsible.  Perhaps we need to push for equannimity instead of entitlements... personal responsibility instead of especting the government to provide.

LTsMommy07
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM
I didn't read this whole article only becase I have a massive headache right now...but I have read many! Women NEED to open their eyes to this! I have never used birth control (pills/iud), but I was in long term relationships with both of my children's fathers. But I am against ANYONE telling us how to run our bodies! Yep, I'm pro-choice! This whole battle over birth control is just out of control! JMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChristyG2012
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:31 PM
I am extremely pro-life but I am completely for BC too. I don't believe BC is the same as abortion. I believe it is the responsible thing to do (or take). And I have to get my BC and any other feminine exam from our health dept for free. I cannot afford health insurance and even tho those ppl are arguing that it is only $30 a month or something, I still cannot afford that. I've already got a baby coming any week now that I can hardly afford, I will not be ready for another one for many years. So even tho I am happily married, if they were to cut off my free BC I would have to resort to cutting off sex altogether...we simply cannot afford another baby soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LTsMommy07
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Which brings up....women trying to take responsibility for their actions by NOT adding unwanted pregnancies....What I'm most tired of hearing is 'my taxes, my taxes'....MOST EVERYONE THAT WORKS PAYS TAXES! So, in my opinion the 'I don't want my taxes paying for this/that' argument is weak! I agree with you on the national debt, but insurances providing coverage for birth control is not going to break the country. So what most of you are saying is, on top of the hundreds paid to have insurance, you all think women should then have to pay hundreds more out of pocket for birth control, when some insurances were covering it. I understand, though, from the religious aspect, not wanting your religiously affiliated company mandated to provide something they are against. I just think it is a sad situation for all women.

Quoting knitnanna:

I am Catholic and Pro-Life and follow the Church's stance on BC and abortion. The current issue is forcing all to pay for services for a select group regardless of the reason for the service. As a culture we need to take personal resonsibility for our actions. You know " if you play you pay"... Somewhere along the line we have become a culture of the entitled... and entitlement programs. If someone wants to have premarital sex, children outside marriage etc and want that right, then I have the right NOT to pay for their personally chosen behavior. I have insurance yet the co-pays are such that we call ourselves the insured poor. My husband and I have costs that are not covered yet very necessary to our health. And I am sure there are millions out there just like us... no one lining up to pay for the services not covered for any of us. I don't want to sound mean or uncaring. I feel for those who have no insurance, low income etc. but somewhere along the line we have gotten off track and feel that if I can't afford "_________" then the government should pay for "it." It is time for personal and democratic responsibility in our country instead of the attitude of entitlements. The problem with Planned Parenthood was in pushing their venue and denying the other side of the issue. In order for a woman or anyone to make and informed decision, both sides should be represented and then the person makes the best decision for themselves. As a tax payer I should not have to be forced to pay for things against my beliefs.Our government is Trilions of dollars in debt and we cannot afford to continue financially as we are or add new debt, it is irresponsible.  Perhaps we need to push for equannimity instead of entitlements... personal responsibility instead of especting the government to provide.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
astenken
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM

The birth control pill works in 4 ways.  It doesn't always stop ovulation (#1 way pill works,) especially the low dose pills.  It also creates an unhospitable environment for the sperm (#2.)  It also stops the endometrium from growing thick enough for a fertilized egg to implant, causing a chemical abortion similar to the morning-after pill #3.) And, it causes movement in the fallopian tubes, which prevents a fertilized egg from making it out of them in time before it starves to death(#4.)  This is why the pill is considered an abortifacient.  Some of the time, ovulation is not prevented and a fertilized egg is not able to implant because of the pill's effectiveness in thinning the endometrium. Pro-choice people are trying to convince people that a fertilized egg does not count, that prenancy does not happen until implantation, which is rendered almost impossible with the pill or IUDs or any kind of hormonal birth control.  Synthesized hormones are not good for women.  They are also horrible for the environment.

Lillymygirl
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I'm afraid that much more than planned parenthood will lose funding.

Quoting ChristyG2012:

I am extremely pro-life but I am completely for BC too. I don't believe BC is the same as abortion. I believe it is the responsible thing to do (or take). And I have to get my BC and any other feminine exam from our health dept for free. I cannot afford health insurance and even tho those ppl are arguing that it is only $30 a month or something, I still cannot afford that. I've already got a baby coming any week now that I can hardly afford, I will not be ready for another one for many years. So even tho I am happily married, if they were to cut off my free BC I would have to resort to cutting off sex altogether...we simply cannot afford another baby soon.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM
No I said that poor people should learn the free way to prevent pregnancy that is 99% effective or refrain until they can afford to pay for birth control. If the government cuts funding the majority of poor people can spare the money, esp. if they budget wisely and cut out things that arent needed like cable, Internet, cell phones.

Quoting raainwitch:

Did you just say that poor people shouldn't have sex simply because they're poor?

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Then they should go to the library and learn about NFP or refrain until they can afford it. I know what it's like to have no money but if you can get yourself to Planned Parenthood, then you can scrape up $10 and pay for a pack of pills that could prevent you from getting pregnant. If not, they offer free condoms which will also protect you from STD's.

Quoting Lillymygirl:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I am pro-life and will not use birth control for contraceptive because personally it is basically like an abortion *to me* if my baby cannot implant. I do believe everyone should have access to birth control and everyone will, but I don't feel it's the governments place to provide these services because birth control is very affordable anyways.

Quoting randi1978:

How are they "doing what's right" by making it harder for women to access contraceptives?

Oh, wait.....even birth control is abortion to some of them backwoods yahoo's.....Single women are supposed to be nuns until Prince fucking Charming comes along with a marriage proposal.

If people can not afford it then they can not afford it.

The state network, which once provided 220,000 women a year free and low-cost birth control, cervical cancer tests and diabetes screenings, will now serve just 40,000 to 60,000, officials said.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:54 PM
I'm all for state health and funding birth control, but even very low income families can afford it if it wasn't covered.

If you say that low income families are getting pregnant already then it has nothing to do with affordability because state health provides free birth control currently.

I think state health is awesome and I would be more then willing to pay $10 a month more in taxes to keep it funded. My point is that people can find a way to prevent pregnancy or pay for birth control or barrier methods.

Quoting aimesnyc:

It's not "very affordable" to those with very low incomes.  Which is why many low income famillies keep growing - because they can't afford to pay for birth control out of pocket, and then it gets cut from public assistance because people don't feel like *their* tax dollars should pay for someone else's birth control.

I realize that my tax dollars don't come directly back to me, but instead pay for programs that I may or may not take advantage of.  And I'm ok with that.  If my taxes go toward taking care of someone in need, or helping them prevent the birth of a child that they cannot afford to have, then I am more than ok with that.  And while you might argue that the person could go through the pregnancy and put the child up for adoption, remember that the baby is paid for by the government until adoptive parents are found (if at all), and that the pregnancy also costs money for the mother - possible loss of a job, medical costs, etc.  And the medical costs are also paid for by your tax dollars.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I am pro-life and will not use birth control for contraceptive because personally it is basically like an abortion *to me* if my baby cannot implant. I do believe everyone should have access to birth control and everyone will, but I don't feel it's the governments place to provide these services because birth control is very affordable anyways.

Quoting randi1978:

How are they "doing what's right" by making it harder for women to access contraceptives?

Oh, wait.....even birth control is abortion to some of them backwoods yahoo's.....Single women are supposed to be nuns until Prince fucking Charming comes along with a marriage proposal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seraphimsong
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM
The problem is, is that of funding is cut that those who can't afford birth control & are getting it at $10 a pack will no longer get it at that price. They will have to pay much, much more to buy BC.

If they could barely afford it at $10 a pack, how an we expect them to affor it at $50 a pack? What do you think will happen?

They will stop buying it because it will be a choice between dinner on te table or BC.

They will most likely end up pregnant & either want an abortion or have another child, which they any afford, that will end up on welfare. Where we will all continue to pay anyway.

So how does cutting funding for BC for low income women get us ahead in any way??

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

No I said that poor people should learn the free way to prevent pregnancy that is 99% effective or refrain until they can afford to pay for birth control. If the government cuts funding the majority of poor people can spare the money, esp. if they budget wisely and cut out things that arent needed like cable, Internet, cell phones.

Quoting raainwitch:

Did you just say that poor people shouldn't have sex simply because they're poor?

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Then they should go to the library and learn about NFP or refrain until they can afford it. I know what it's like to have no money but if you can get yourself to Planned Parenthood, then you can scrape up $10 and pay for a pack of pills that could prevent you from getting pregnant. If not, they offer free condoms which will also protect you from STD's.

Quoting Lillymygirl:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting randi1978:

If people can not afford it then they can not afford it.

The state network, which once provided 220,000 women a year free and low-cost birth control, cervical cancer tests and diabetes screenings, will now serve just 40,000 to 60,000, officials said.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oncnurse39
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:56 PM
There are other options. How about asking the "man" to put on a condom, and make sure you have one. (Really, why does the responsibility always fall to women? ) Personally, if I were not married and having sex with different people I would be as worried about STDs as an unplanned pregnancy... a pill can't protect you from that. Use a condom ... They're cheap, and if someone can't afford one then maybe that person needs to rethink his or her priorities . Quit waiting on the government to provide, and use the brain you were given.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN