Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

THIS is NOT an answer for abortion.

Posted by   + Show Post

What a mess. This is scary . I HATE abortion But I LOVE women and they should all have ACCESS to birth control. How did things go so wrong?

The article is extremely long so I am including the link and some pieces of the article. i just think that being pro-life shouldn't mean people cut all funding and availability of BIRT CONTROL , it's wrong and could cause more expensive problems later. Yes I want women to not abort their children but isn't it best, all the way around, if they can get birth control and not get pregnant when they aren't willing to or able to support children? 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/05/us-states-slash-birth-control-idUSTRE8240ZM20120305

Mon Mar 5, 2012 10:41am EST

(Reuters) - Even as a national debate rages over contraception insurance, tens of thousands of low-income women and teenagers across the United States have lost access to subsidized birth control as states slash and restructure family planning funds.

the Texas funding cut prompted Planned Parenthood to shut down 11 clinics. It also has jeopardized a $40 million family-planning program run as a Medicaid extension.

The program provides free birth control and annual exams to 130,000 low-income women of reproductive age who don't qualify for regular Medicaid. The federal government pays 90 percent of the cost; Texas puts up just $4 million a year.

About 40 percent of women in the Texas program get subsidized care from Planned Parenthood clinics, but a new state law blocks those clinics from participating. The Obama administration has said that violates federal Medicaid rules. If neither side compromises, the program will likely close by the end of March.

That infuriates Jonee Longoria, a single mother in Houston who relied on the program for free services for several years as she put herself through college. "I had one child living in poverty and I didn't want another," Longoria said.

She now works for a social service agency and refers many clients to the program for contraception. Without it, she said, "where would they go?"

Advocates of defunding Planned Parenthood say they regret any service disruptions for poor women. But they call it a necessary price to pay to take a moral stance on abortion.

"We're just doing what we think is best," said Joe Pojman, executive director of Texas Alliance for Life, 

by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Replies (541-550):
Kcamaioni
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Quoting Kcamaioni:Yeah, this has nothing to do with planned parenthood. We pay for insurance so technically we pay for what's being covered. And I don't know where you live but my insurance pays 20% I pay the rest. I don't think they should get rid of free birth control though it's really a good program. My insurance had $10 prescription so it's no big deal, but the way Americas health care is is ridiculous a lot of Americans don't have insurance and they should have birth control available for those women. I'm pro life and pro birth control I'm about to have my third kid and if I don't want 10 more I'm gonna take birth control. So sorry crazies!

This was suppose to be a response to someone saying there's no difference between insurance covering IUDs and tubal procedure then planned parenthood.
susanmichelle25
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I hate to say this but Plan Parenthood isn't all about abortion. It provides so much more for people who can't afford insurance or to pay out of pocket for a gyno. I am sorry to say this but I know I can't afford another child though I would love to have another. I could not provide it a life it deserved. So let me see, I deny my husband, which people claim is his right and not his responsibilty to control himself, or take birth control. If it is not for you then don't take it but do not tell me I am "killing babies" by not allowing an egg get fertilized. Sorry for the rant got in a fight with my mother over the federal thing today.

Tarter22
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM
2 moms liked this
Im sorry to say this, but what's gonna happen is more young people are gonna go to prison for murdering their unwanted baby becuz they couldn't get bc or an abortion. And it's sad that people are trying to force other's to have kids they don't want or need. They'll go to drastic measures. I don't believe in abortion, but I'm for bc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow. Some of these replies have shocked me. I am pro choice and pro bc. I do think all women should be able to get free birth control if they so chose. The argument of don't have sex is total bs to me. Realistically most women do not wait until to marriage to have sex. And most married women do not abstain from having sex just because they don't want kids.

I got pregnant at 17. And instead of being irresponsible I got on bc, worked part-time, and went to school full-time. There was no way I could afford bc on top of daycare, bus fare, and other living expenses. And no bc would not have been a priority so I would not have gotten it. So instead of being a college graduate I'd probably be sitting here living on welfare with17 kids.

And even now I work 3 (yes 3) jobs. And I can't afford the private insurance my job full-time offers ($350 a month for ds and I) plus huge copays and deductibles. If I doo need bc I hope there is an affordable way for me to get it. Because after rent, utilities, childcare, and student loan payments I wouldn't be able to afford bc.

cjsmom1
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Very true. However, it won't only be young people. It will be people in desperate situations who just can't care for another child or who don't one. Bc is a great way to help prevent unwanted pregnancies.

Quoting Tarter22:

Im sorry to say this, but what's gonna happen is more young people are gonna go to prison for murdering their unwanted baby becuz they couldn't get bc or an abortion. And it's sad that people are trying to force other's to have kids they don't want or need. They'll go to drastic measures. I don't believe in abortion, but I'm for bc.

Catgirl2003
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM

What some people really want is a return to arranged marrage by the age 14 and as many children as possible. Hay then we can have a population to rival China. Wouldn't that be fun. Oh, maybe they think the Iranians have the right idea.

I'm sorry has anyone thought this out? So the catholics say no birth control of any sort and most people are not  chatholic.  The offical belief is that all none catholics will not go to heaven so they want as many children borne to not go to heaven?

It makes you wounder what the possible conversion rate is if one would argue that the children could convert.

seraphimsong
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Wait, didn't you know that you should cut costs somewhere to be able to afford BC???

I kid, I kid.

It seems it's the people that have great health insurance are the ones all for cutting finding. God forbid that they ever lose that insurance.

I don't think people realize that depending on the type of BC it can potentially be $100+ dollars a month!!

Quoting cjsmom1:

Wow. Some of these replies have shocked me. I am pro choice and pro bc. I do think all women should be able to get free birth control if they so chose. The argument of don't have sex is total bs to me. Realistically most women do not wait until to marriage to have sex. And most married women do not abstain from having sex just because they don't want kids.

I got pregnant at 17. And instead of being irresponsible I got on bc, worked part-time, and went to school full-time. There was no way I could afford bc on top of daycare, bus fare, and other living expenses. And no bc would not have been a priority so I would not have gotten it. So instead of being a college graduate I'd probably be sitting here living on welfare with17 kids.

And even now I work 3 (yes 3) jobs. And I can't afford the private insurance my job full-time offers ($350 a month for ds and I) plus huge copays and deductibles. If I doo need bc I hope there is an affordable way for me to get it. Because after rent, utilities, childcare, and student loan payments I wouldn't be able to afford bc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mehamil1
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM
2 moms liked this

If the pro-life movement focused on the children who are already born they'd be doing something meaningful.

KristysAngels
by Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM

The one thing wrong with this is the fact that it's selective based on income as to who gets free health care and who doesn't.  There is no reason a woman can't abstain from sex if she truely can't afford birth control.  Why should the person next door to me get free health care and rx birth control with no cost at all while DH and I work our butt's off to make a living and carry health insurance.  We have to pay a premium every month, pay co-pays for every dr visit, pay for the bill when it comes, and then pay for the copay on the prescription?  We shouldn't be punished by having to shell out money for the same stuff that the next person pays nothing for.  I did not read the article but it should be an all or none thing.  Either offer free health care and prescription birth control to EVERYBODY..or don't offer it for anyone. 

Quoting CTRedSoxMom:

I am not sure if you live under a rock, but they hand out free condoms all over the damn place.
You also sound pretty out of touch with how Planned Parenthood works. Funding goes to help people with no health insurance get health services they cannot afford. It all goes by a sliding scale depending on their income.
They don't get anything for free unless they are in serious poverty levels, they pay x amount of money per service/birth control they get.

When I was younger and had no insurance I went there and never got anything for free.

Quoting StevensCare4u:

There is nothing wrong with being sexually active. Having sex isnt a NEED its a desire. Its not okay for someone else to pay for BC because you want to have sex. If you were a resposible adult you will pay the $30 a month or $60 every 3 months to stay protected. Whats next? are they gonna add condoms in as a free thing for men? no.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

ndlptnau
by Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Now this is the voice of reason. Personal responsibility is a much maligned and under appreciated quality. I don't feel like it is my responsibility to provide birth control for someone who is having casual sex. If you want to screw around, be responsible for your own protection. Have any of the people considered visiting the Health Department in the city in which they live or maybe asking their partner to get a condom (disease protection for both of them)? As for married couples who don't want a baby at this point, condoms aren't that expensive. It is amazing what our tax dollars are supposed to supply now including aid to countries that hate us, food stamps for people who couldn't pass a drug test, and social security for those who never worked in this country and paid into the system. There is NOT an unlimited pool of money to provide services for the entire world and green energy won't get me to work tomorrow contrary to the current opinion of our government 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN