Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

THIS is NOT an answer for abortion.

Posted by   + Show Post

What a mess. This is scary . I HATE abortion But I LOVE women and they should all have ACCESS to birth control. How did things go so wrong?

The article is extremely long so I am including the link and some pieces of the article. i just think that being pro-life shouldn't mean people cut all funding and availability of BIRT CONTROL , it's wrong and could cause more expensive problems later. Yes I want women to not abort their children but isn't it best, all the way around, if they can get birth control and not get pregnant when they aren't willing to or able to support children? 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/05/us-states-slash-birth-control-idUSTRE8240ZM20120305

Mon Mar 5, 2012 10:41am EST

(Reuters) - Even as a national debate rages over contraception insurance, tens of thousands of low-income women and teenagers across the United States have lost access to subsidized birth control as states slash and restructure family planning funds.

the Texas funding cut prompted Planned Parenthood to shut down 11 clinics. It also has jeopardized a $40 million family-planning program run as a Medicaid extension.

The program provides free birth control and annual exams to 130,000 low-income women of reproductive age who don't qualify for regular Medicaid. The federal government pays 90 percent of the cost; Texas puts up just $4 million a year.

About 40 percent of women in the Texas program get subsidized care from Planned Parenthood clinics, but a new state law blocks those clinics from participating. The Obama administration has said that violates federal Medicaid rules. If neither side compromises, the program will likely close by the end of March.

That infuriates Jonee Longoria, a single mother in Houston who relied on the program for free services for several years as she put herself through college. "I had one child living in poverty and I didn't want another," Longoria said.

She now works for a social service agency and refers many clients to the program for contraception. Without it, she said, "where would they go?"

Advocates of defunding Planned Parenthood say they regret any service disruptions for poor women. But they call it a necessary price to pay to take a moral stance on abortion.

"We're just doing what we think is best," said Joe Pojman, executive director of Texas Alliance for Life, 

by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Replies (551-560):
heidimoose134
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never understood how someone can logically be against abortion AND birth control. 

Sorry, but "keep your legs closed" isn't the answer. Asking human beings to go against their nature is not the answer. Should more people practice self-control? Absolutely, but we live in the real world, where many people don't. 

worldchangers2
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this
What people don't seem to understand is that some forms of birth control do flush out the egg even after it's been fertilized. If you believe that life starts at conception, then this would be abortion. On the other hand, some of the women who are using theses services are not married and should not be having sex anyway. It's not good for them or their lover for many reasons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommacap58
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:08 PM

It's time to get the churches and the government out of bedrooms, and more specifically, our bodies!  While I am pro-choice, I wouldn't choose to have an abortion but I wouldn't want to take that choice away from someone who wouldn't be able to go through with a pregnancy for various reasons.  Having two miscarriages, I had to have a procedure that in medical terms is considered an abortion and that was tough enough.  

Birth control is another issue that can be used for more issues than it's intended purpose.  There are many reasons other than stopping pregnancy it is used for, but even if you want it for that and your insurance coverage doesn't cover it, many times they will cover it for other "medical" reasons.  So, you have to result to lying, which I feel many women who struggle with what is right and wrong use this as their out.  

With the attacks on Planned Parenthood lately, by  some groups, including the Komer Foundation, there are many of these clinics that will be shutting down.  They not only provide information on abortions, and birth control, they provide a wide variety of women's health information.  Lack of funding means less availability to these services.  I'm not sure where some of you are getting your birth control for a "max $30 a month), but I know of one young lady who didn't have it covered and was charged $90 for one month's supply.  She is a full time student, works part time, has a car payment, plus the regular day to day expenses like food and gas and utilities and $90 a month was more than she could afford.  Luckily, she dealt with the prescription company and her doctor and was able to get it for a $20 co-pay for 3 months supply.  

I'm under the understanding that this isn't about getting birth control for free, but just getting it as a covered expense, such as allergy meds, blood pressure meds, heart mds and such.   Just so it's a covered medication.     

Destiny907
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Why can't we pay people to get sterilized? Why can't we require some to do so? Like the deadbeat "sperm donors" who have 3 or more kids out there with different ladies and will never support them? Snip!

Same with the ladies who moan and groan about how hard it is with my 4 or 5 kids..and no daddy around..... well just STOP having kids.

that way we don't have to pass out pills.  

It is nuts they would cut off funding of the planned parenthood places!!! I can see not interfering with the Catholic places to provide what they never believed in- that is not right- but to cut off planned parenthood? That is nuts.

Blue_Spiral
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Quoting kansasmom1978:

The answer to abortion is to teach women to respect their bodies. Not sleep with someone if they are not ready to be a parent.  

Are you saying that all sex should be had ONLY to conceive a child?

How insane do you have to be to make a comment like that?

charleyd68
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:14 PM
This is the beginning! Yet another step to control! Lets review,presently it has been proposed to refuse government mandates to have the insurance company you Pay to insurance you and or family 's health to cover certain parts of women 's health. Because people of FAITH don 't like it,totally ignore or do a end run around the precedent sat by Rowe v wade to do away with Abortion altogether. And now force women without means to have unwanted children,or stop a natural act governed by no authroty but GOD sex, which is unrealistic considering men aren 't being forced to do sh -t! They want to tell people what to buy and eat on the quest to end all social programs. All in the effort to take the freedoms the forfathers fought for and redo them. This time they will regulate who you become, marry,how many kids you can have.what GOD OR GODS you worship. And every aspect of your life that they don 't control now!

In my Opininon No Disrespect

miso808
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I love how the pro-life movement has used it's money to support their efforts to end abortions and ultimately have destroyed the best opportunity for low-income women to receive health services but won't be adopting or caring for any of the unwanted children who will be conceived due to the lack of access to birth control. They go around shouting and protesting but how many of these people actually deal with the people who need the services that Planned Parenthood provides? Will any of them be using their money to provide annual exams and pap smears? Will any of them do anything more with their money other than throw a big party for themselves? And how many women will have to go back to getting back room abortions which may not necessarily be done by a doctor in a sterile environment? Planned Parenthood was developed from a necessity in the communities across the nation. We should all thank the Pro-Life groups for single-handedly destroying all the work done by all the people over the years to ensure that women were able to receive proper reproductive health care and education. If you are a Pro-Lifer, thanks for nothing and think about adopting an unwanted child or at least becoming a foster parent. These would be much better uses of your time and money instead of destroying lives and bringing more unwanted children to the poverty level so they can join the foster system or be abandoned. Thanks for adding more problems to the already problematic health care system. Women across America would really appreciate it if you could find a more productive use of your time and money to help the problems instead of making them worse.

Aimer
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM
2 moms liked this
It simply comes down to misogyny. Males who hate women have been elected on touchpoints like abortion, religion, family values, capitolism, gun control, immigration (racism), and their true feelings come out once they have gotten into office. As a group they can gang up and be sexist, zenophobic, homophobic greedy old men who think all women are sluts or saints. These men believe it is men's nature to want to procreate, and are allowed to walk away with no ill effect while the "welfare queen/slut/baby killers" deserve to suffer the consequence of giving in to a male's dirty urge. In their tiny brains, they are thinking, "Don't take the pill, don't make ME wear an icky condom, don't you dare make me wait til marriage or go after child support, it's YOUR fault!!!"
Ugh, this doesn't belong in politics, neither does religion, but that is how some politicians trick people into voting for them.
Just so's you know, I have a great family, my dad is a gentleman, my husband is a doting father and a fine husband-so don't take my rage as simple man-hating. I only hate male chauvinists.
Haynkysmama
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Quoting Mamie_85:

I don't think $5 for a dozen condoms is unreasonable....given that nothing is 100% effective except abstinence, if one can't afford $5 for a raincoat perhaps one should abstain fom having sex!
jenvela
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM
This

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

It's messed up.  They want to end abortion but don't want to provide what most effectively prevents unwanted pregnancy?  Where is the logic?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)