Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

THIS is NOT an answer for abortion.

Posted by   + Show Post

What a mess. This is scary . I HATE abortion But I LOVE women and they should all have ACCESS to birth control. How did things go so wrong?

The article is extremely long so I am including the link and some pieces of the article. i just think that being pro-life shouldn't mean people cut all funding and availability of BIRT CONTROL , it's wrong and could cause more expensive problems later. Yes I want women to not abort their children but isn't it best, all the way around, if they can get birth control and not get pregnant when they aren't willing to or able to support children? 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/05/us-states-slash-birth-control-idUSTRE8240ZM20120305

Mon Mar 5, 2012 10:41am EST

(Reuters) - Even as a national debate rages over contraception insurance, tens of thousands of low-income women and teenagers across the United States have lost access to subsidized birth control as states slash and restructure family planning funds.

the Texas funding cut prompted Planned Parenthood to shut down 11 clinics. It also has jeopardized a $40 million family-planning program run as a Medicaid extension.

The program provides free birth control and annual exams to 130,000 low-income women of reproductive age who don't qualify for regular Medicaid. The federal government pays 90 percent of the cost; Texas puts up just $4 million a year.

About 40 percent of women in the Texas program get subsidized care from Planned Parenthood clinics, but a new state law blocks those clinics from participating. The Obama administration has said that violates federal Medicaid rules. If neither side compromises, the program will likely close by the end of March.

That infuriates Jonee Longoria, a single mother in Houston who relied on the program for free services for several years as she put herself through college. "I had one child living in poverty and I didn't want another," Longoria said.

She now works for a social service agency and refers many clients to the program for contraception. Without it, she said, "where would they go?"

Advocates of defunding Planned Parenthood say they regret any service disruptions for poor women. But they call it a necessary price to pay to take a moral stance on abortion.

"We're just doing what we think is best," said Joe Pojman, executive director of Texas Alliance for Life, 

by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Replies (61-70):
melelaine
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:21 PM
2 moms liked this

THis is more the post I was referring too. Sorry, swtiched from Ipad now :) Its just plain unrealistic to tell women to just not have sex.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

The answer to abortion is to teach women to respect their bodies. Not sleep with someone if they are not ready to be a parent.  

BbyGrlPickles
2 moms liked this

That is so stupid! Apparently there not accounting for BC being used for (in my case) "calming" depression down, or other different hormonal issues AS WELL AS to prevent pregnancy. EVERY female should be on birth control until they KNOW they can afford the time, energy, money and space that a child needs!!

CTRedSoxMom
6 moms liked this

In this economy there are some 80 year olds that cannot afford prescription drugs they need. If they have no health insurance they should be able to have a program where they can get it discounted, just like any form of medication someone needs.

What is with people constantly trying to punish women for being sexually active?

Quoting StevensCare4u:

I didnt read the article, but my view on this topic is simple. Young women should have BC availible to them for free. I mean under 21 years of age. By 21 a women should be self sufficiant enough to be able to supply her own BC. BC is much cheaper then having a child. So for someone to say "I cant afford it" is crazy. HAving sex is a choice, not something that you have to do. If you CHOOSE to have sex then you should CHOOSE to purchase it yourself as an adult.

Danielle
Cesarean Mother, Natural Birth Advocate, Breastfeeding, Attachment
Parenting, Baby wearing, Selectively Vaccinating, Pro Choice, Gay Marriage Supporting, Childbirth Educator (Lamaze) , Blogging
, Loud Mouth, Bitch, Democrat, Work at Home Mom, Reformed Mormon, Feminist, VBAC Supporting, Home Birth Supporting, Radical Mother of Three.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:23 PM

It's not the lack of birth control that isn't working because unplanned pregnancies have lowered in recent years. It's the lack of education and willingness of people. It's the "that won't happen to *me*" mentality that is getting people into these situations.

I know, I had access to birth control, in fact I found out I was pregnant when I went to the doctors to get ON birth control. I was just 18, the LAST thing on my mind during sex was pregnancy, that was something that would NEVER happen to ME! You know what I mean?

I think we need education on the different types of birth control and the proper useage of birth control.

We need women/girls to know that it CAN happen to anyone, including themselves.

Quoting Mamie_85:

Ideally, yes. Women would either abstain or find a way. But, obviously that's not working. I think providing birth control would cost a lot less than public assistance a lot of these women would be drawing from the state to help raise these children that would have been prevented by the birth control.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Anyone with a job should be able to come up with $10 a month.

I strongly believe that PP could also get private funding.

I am 23 with two kids, I know what it's like to have no money, but I could always cut something to be able to afford birth control if I needed to. If someone truly, truly can't afford it and doesn't want to get pregnant then they need to use the free condoms PP provides, learn about NFP at the library, or refrain from sex until they find a job.

Quoting Mamie_85:

Very affordable for who?

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I am pro-life and will not use birth control for contraceptive because personally it is basically like an abortion *to me* if my baby cannot implant. I do believe everyone should have access to birth control and everyone will, but I don't feel it's the governments place to provide these services because birth control is very affordable anyways.

Quoting randi1978:

How are they "doing what's right" by making it harder for women to access contraceptives?

Oh, wait.....even birth control is abortion to some of them backwoods yahoo's.....Single women are supposed to be nuns until Prince fucking Charming comes along with a marriage proposal.

StevensCare4u
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:25 PM
3 moms liked this

There is nothing wrong with being sexually active. Having sex isnt a NEED its a desire. Its not okay for someone else to pay for BC because you want to have sex. If you were a resposible adult you will pay the $30 a month or $60 every 3 months to stay protected. Whats next? are they gonna add condoms in as a free thing for men? no.

Quoting CTRedSoxMom:

In this economy there are some 80 year olds that cannot afford prescription drugs they need. If they have no health insurance they should be able to have a program where they can get it discounted, just like any form of medication someone needs.

What is with people constantly trying to punish women for being sexually active?

Quoting StevensCare4u:

I didnt read the article, but my view on this topic is simple. Young women should have BC availible to them for free. I mean under 21 years of age. By 21 a women should be self sufficiant enough to be able to supply her own BC. BC is much cheaper then having a child. So for someone to say "I cant afford it" is crazy. HAving sex is a choice, not something that you have to do. If you CHOOSE to have sex then you should CHOOSE to purchase it yourself as an adult.

baby
Lillymygirl
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I am postmenopausal and have insurance so it won't affect me but it will affect my adult children and when their grown their children and so on. It's so upsetting to me that abortion gets some people so fired up that they would create these situations where not only will some women not have access to birth control but their health could be endangered by the lack of care such as pap smears. I wish something could be done to reverse this situation. We need pro life organizations to take a big step and open some woman's health clinics that don't have anything to do with abortion or we need this reversed. things can't continue like this , the problems this will create are large.

Quoting Lishes:

My only other option for treatment is a hysterectomy,  I cannot afford that either. It is also not something I want to do at all.  My husband just got a new job that has great insurance, so hopefully I won't need PP anymore.  But other women do, so this still bugs me.

Quoting Lillymygirl:

You could potentially lose your planned parenthood or at the least have to pay much more out of pocket. I hope you can come up with the money or some other way. 

Quoting Lishes:

My tubes are tied and I take BC for medical reasons.  I get it from a PP here that treats heavy painful periods.  They are hurting many women in more ways than the obvious.

Quoting alwayskk:

What if someone is abstinent, but still wants to take birth control as a measure of safety?

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I didn't read the article. It's not clicky.

But things close all the time. People need to be able to think ahead. Go to the doctors and get an IUD and then don't pay the bill in full and make payments or something. I honestly see what you're saying, I don't think funding should be cut, but I also think that people need to be able to take responsibility of their own reproductive life.

Quoting Lillymygirl:

You seem to be missing a lot of information that could be found in the article. For example 11 clinics have closed and the nearest one now has a waiting list and closest appointment is August. Also as wonderful as NFP is , it's not for everyone. who offers free condoms? Not the CLOSED clinics .

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Then they should go to the library and learn about NFP or refrain until they can afford it. I know what it's like to have no money but if you can get yourself to Planned Parenthood, then you can scrape up $10 and pay for a pack of pills that could prevent you from getting pregnant. If not, they offer free condoms which will also protect you from STD's.

Quoting Lillymygirl:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I am pro-life and will not use birth control for contraceptive because personally it is basically like an abortion *to me* if my baby cannot implant. I do believe everyone should have access to birth control and everyone will, but I don't feel it's the governments place to provide these services because birth control is very affordable anyways.

Quoting randi1978:

How are they "doing what's right" by making it harder for women to access contraceptives?

Oh, wait.....even birth control is abortion to some of them backwoods yahoo's.....Single women are supposed to be nuns until Prince fucking Charming comes along with a marriage proposal.

If people can not afford it then they can not afford it.

The state network, which once provided 220,000 women a year free and low-cost birth control, cervical cancer tests and diabetes screenings, will now serve just 40,000 to 60,000, officials said.

melelaine
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

You can get free condoms at almost any dr.s office. And inurances are covering things like Viagara.

Quoting StevensCare4u:

There is nothing wrong with being sexually active. Having sex isnt a NEED its a desire. Its not okay for someone else to pay for BC because you want to have sex. If you were a resposible adult you will pay the $30 a month or $60 every 3 months to stay protected. Whats next? are they gonna add condoms in as a free thing for men? no.

Quoting CTRedSoxMom:

Quoting StevensCare4u:

Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree about education of proper usage and such.
Honestly, everyone will never agree on this subject and I wish the government would focus on bigger issues, like creating jobs.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

It's not the lack of birth control that isn't working because unplanned pregnancies have lowered in recent years. It's the lack of education and willingness of people. It's the "that won't happen to *me*" mentality that is getting people into these situations.

I know, I had access to birth control, in fact I found out I was pregnant when I went to the doctors to get ON birth control. I was just 18, the LAST thing on my mind during sex was pregnancy, that was something that would NEVER happen to ME! You know what I mean?

I think we need education on the different types of birth control and the proper useage of birth control.

We need women/girls to know that it CAN happen to anyone, including themselves.

Quoting Mamie_85:

Ideally, yes. Women would either abstain or find a way. But, obviously that's not working. I think providing birth control would cost a lot less than public assistance a lot of these women would be drawing from the state to help raise these children that would have been prevented by the birth control.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Anyone with a job should be able to come up with $10 a month.

I strongly believe that PP could also get private funding.

I am 23 with two kids, I know what it's like to have no money, but I could always cut something to be able to afford birth control if I needed to. If someone truly, truly can't afford it and doesn't want to get pregnant then they need to use the free condoms PP provides, learn about NFP at the library, or refrain from sex until they find a job.

Quoting Mamie_85:

Very affordable for who?

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting randi1978:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CTRedSoxMom
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I am not sure if you live under a rock, but they hand out free condoms all over the damn place.
You also sound pretty out of touch with how Planned Parenthood works. Funding goes to help people with no health insurance get health services they cannot afford. It all goes by a sliding scale depending on their income.
They don't get anything for free unless they are in serious poverty levels, they pay x amount of money per service/birth control they get.

When I was younger and had no insurance I went there and never got anything for free.

Quoting StevensCare4u:

Danielle
Cesarean Mother, Natural Birth Advocate, Breastfeeding, Attachment
Parenting, Baby wearing, Selectively Vaccinating, Pro Choice, Gay Marriage Supporting, Childbirth Educator (Lamaze) , Blogging
, Loud Mouth, Bitch, Democrat, Work at Home Mom, Reformed Mormon, Feminist, VBAC Supporting, Home Birth Supporting, Radical Mother of Three.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)