Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

THIS is NOT an answer for abortion.

Posted by   + Show Post

What a mess. This is scary . I HATE abortion But I LOVE women and they should all have ACCESS to birth control. How did things go so wrong?

The article is extremely long so I am including the link and some pieces of the article. i just think that being pro-life shouldn't mean people cut all funding and availability of BIRT CONTROL , it's wrong and could cause more expensive problems later. Yes I want women to not abort their children but isn't it best, all the way around, if they can get birth control and not get pregnant when they aren't willing to or able to support children? 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/05/us-states-slash-birth-control-idUSTRE8240ZM20120305

Mon Mar 5, 2012 10:41am EST

(Reuters) - Even as a national debate rages over contraception insurance, tens of thousands of low-income women and teenagers across the United States have lost access to subsidized birth control as states slash and restructure family planning funds.

the Texas funding cut prompted Planned Parenthood to shut down 11 clinics. It also has jeopardized a $40 million family-planning program run as a Medicaid extension.

The program provides free birth control and annual exams to 130,000 low-income women of reproductive age who don't qualify for regular Medicaid. The federal government pays 90 percent of the cost; Texas puts up just $4 million a year.

About 40 percent of women in the Texas program get subsidized care from Planned Parenthood clinics, but a new state law blocks those clinics from participating. The Obama administration has said that violates federal Medicaid rules. If neither side compromises, the program will likely close by the end of March.

That infuriates Jonee Longoria, a single mother in Houston who relied on the program for free services for several years as she put herself through college. "I had one child living in poverty and I didn't want another," Longoria said.

She now works for a social service agency and refers many clients to the program for contraception. Without it, she said, "where would they go?"

Advocates of defunding Planned Parenthood say they regret any service disruptions for poor women. But they call it a necessary price to pay to take a moral stance on abortion.

"We're just doing what we think is best," said Joe Pojman, executive director of Texas Alliance for Life, 

by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Replies (631-640):
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM

No, not at all. I don't think low income families shouldn't live their lives, however if it comes down to living your life and having American Idol on TV every week or paying to prevent a pregnancy that would cause more financial burden, then yes, priorities need to be straightened and low income families will have to shift things around a bit to be able to afford it.

I don't think the government would be smart to cut funding and not allow women access to birth control. I think it'd cause more problems in the long run, however, if cuts need to be made then at least it's being made to something that women can take control of and spend $10-30 a month or save for a few months to get a 5 year IUD.

I think cutting birth control out completely would be wrong. If women take it for other problems then the fact that it was birth control would no longer fit and it should be classified under something else that insurance would cover.

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

Right because when you're low income you should only have to work at a stressful job and long hours and not dare have any form of entertainment or stress relief. Because you're poor u should "manage your money" but not your mental and physical health.

BC is used for more than just pregnancy control. Many women use it to stabilize their bodies and keeps them from getting sick. But I guess this reality is also lost to the poor who should shut up and work miniwage so the fat cat can buy all the fancy gagets and go on tropical cruises, but you should be ashamed just for having basic cable so you can unwind after work.

Do you even think before posting such a flawed, onesided opinon??

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

No I said that poor people should learn the free way to prevent pregnancy that is 99% effective or refrain until they can afford to pay for birth control. If the government cuts funding the majority of poor people can spare the money, esp. if they budget wisely and cut out things that arent needed like cable, Internet, cell phones.

Quoting raainwitch:

Did you just say that poor people shouldn't have sex simply because they're poor?

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Then they should go to the library and learn about NFP or refrain until they can afford it. I know what it's like to have no money but if you can get yourself to Planned Parenthood, then you can scrape up $10 and pay for a pack of pills that could prevent you from getting pregnant. If not, they offer free condoms which will also protect you from STD's.

Quoting Lillymygirl:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I am pro-life and will not use birth control for contraceptive because personally it is basically like an abortion *to me* if my baby cannot implant. I do believe everyone should have access to birth control and everyone will, but I don't feel it's the governments place to provide these services because birth control is very affordable anyways.

Quoting randi1978:

How are they "doing what's right" by making it harder for women to access contraceptives?

Oh, wait.....even birth control is abortion to some of them backwoods yahoo's.....Single women are supposed to be nuns until Prince fucking Charming comes along with a marriage proposal.

If people can not afford it then they can not afford it.

The state network, which once provided 220,000 women a year free and low-cost birth control, cervical cancer tests and diabetes screenings, will now serve just 40,000 to 60,000, officials said.

teal.blaze
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM

It's not just that. My husband and I waited til we were married. But we have one kid, and can barely make ends meet. Having another kid would put us on pa....and for people on pa already, bc is WAY cheaper than the gov paying for the family to have 10 kids b/c they can't get bc. I'm pro life, but I am also VERY pro-bc.

Quoting randi1978:

How are they "doing what's right" by making it harder for women to access contraceptives?

Oh, wait.....even birth control is abortion to some of them backwoods yahoo's.....Single women are supposed to be nuns until Prince fucking Charming comes along with a marriage proposal.

fortressmom
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM

The main problem with the pill is that it doesn't 100% prevent ovulation.  If ovulation happens, and the egg is fertilized, it is immediately a living being.  When it gets to the uterus, the pill has made it an inhospitable place and the blastocyst (living human!!) cannot implant.  This is in fact a chemical abortion.  Sadly this information is not made readily available to women who would other wise find another option of birth control.  Only the barrier methods do not cause abortions.  I was a long time pill user and I was HORRIFIED when I realized that I may had inadvertently been causing early abortions by using it.  The information needs be put out there so that women can make better informed decisions regarding birth control.  IUD's do the same thing.  It all comes down to the medical community being more honest and open in ALL the ways a pill prevents pregnancy instead of the rosy picture of "It just prevents ovulation" when that is NOT the case.

wittyandwise
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

You are aware that women can be raped right? Not every woman who gets pregnant is a slut who can't keep her legs closed. Even Rush Limbaugh is back pedalling on that one.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

The answer to abortion is to teach women to respect their bodies. Not sleep with someone if they are not ready to be a parent.  

I agree with your statement -cool mommy. But all that fat a$$ ba$tard did was say he was sorry for 'those 2 words'. That -what some call *man*- spewed hatred and anger for days!!! I guess that's his style, but don't give energy to those that are not worthy of it - even by name!

And the ONLY reason he mentioned that he was wrong (never really did say sorry) was the fact that a lot of that show's major advertisers were pulling their sponsorships. It was like a ship sinking -fast!

Lillymygirl
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I don't believe it's a baby at that stage for me it's implantation and I think some extreme pl groups have greatly exaggerated the idea that the pill causes an abortion. 

Quoting fortressmom:

The main problem with the pill is that it doesn't 100% prevent ovulation.  If ovulation happens, and the egg is fertilized, it is immediately a living being.  When it gets to the uterus, the pill has made it an inhospitable place and the blastocyst (living human!!) cannot implant.  This is in fact a chemical abortion.  Sadly this information is not made readily available to women who would other wise find another option of birth control.  Only the barrier methods do not cause abortions.  I was a long time pill user and I was HORRIFIED when I realized that I may had inadvertently been causing early abortions by using it.  The information needs be put out there so that women can make better informed decisions regarding birth control.  IUD's do the same thing.  It all comes down to the medical community being more honest and open in ALL the ways a pill prevents pregnancy instead of the rosy picture of "It just prevents ovulation" when that is NOT the case.

stefvan
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Because of the economic state we are in, everything is taking a hit.  Though I have yet to understand why it the government's place to provide contraception to anyone.  Why do we feel that the government should do everything for us? 

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Yes...his "apology" was very insincere. He's a POS.

Quoting wittyandwise:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

You are aware that women can be raped right? Not every woman who gets pregnant is a slut who can't keep her legs closed. Even Rush Limbaugh is back pedalling on that one.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

The answer to abortion is to teach women to respect their bodies. Not sleep with someone if they are not ready to be a parent.  

I agree with your statement -cool mommy. But all that fat a$$ ba$tard did was say he was sorry for 'those 2 words'. That -what some call *man*- spewed hatred and anger for days!!! I guess that's his style, but don't give energy to those that are not worthy of it - even by name!

And the ONLY reason he mentioned that he was wrong (never really did say sorry) was the fact that a lot of that show's major advertisers were pulling their sponsorships. It was like a ship sinking -fast!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
firespurity
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

To Everyone saying that a woman should wait to have sex until she can afford birth control are on some sort of high horse. Her man won't wait forever. Who knows how long it can be before circumstances change. So you are asking these women to make sure their children live in broken homes. Men and women have sexual needs have tie into their abilities to emotionally connect. It's not a sin, its biology. Sex exists within a relationship for a reason. And By your logic maybe she can scrap up 10-30 dollars this month, but not next month. By doing that she can mess up her hormones. Causing more health care problems for the state, since she is low income. 

Tatum2U
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Screw the "her man won't wait forever" - I won't wait forever. lol

Quoting firespurity:

To Everyone saying that a woman should wait to have sex until she can afford birth control are on some sort of high horse. Her man won't wait forever. Who knows how long it can be before circumstances change. So you are asking these women to make sure their children live in broken homes. Men and women have sexual needs have tie into their abilities to emotionally connect. It's not a sin, its biology. Sex exists within a relationship for a reason. And By your logic maybe she can scrap up 10-30 dollars this month, but not next month. By doing that she can mess up her hormones. Causing more health care problems for the state, since she is low income. 

“you know you’ve created God in your own image when God hates all the same people that you do”

TigerLily2901
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I read somewhere that Catholics??? Don't believe in birth control because it technically is an abortion because it makes the environment for a fetilized egg inhospitable. So some believe life begins at conception and birth control makes it stop after conception. Don't quote me but thats what I took from an article I read a while ago. Made sense to me. I'm anti-birth control for MYSELF because I just don't believe in altering my body like that and the side effects are waaay riskier, in my opinion, than another pregnancy. I don't support funding for birth control. It really is not that expensive to go out and buy a months supply of birth control or condoms. And I just don't see how anyone could be having so much sex they can't afford it. But I'm not against funding for it either. My personal opinion is that it shouldn't be mandatory to fund birth control but I'm also all for protecting women and I don't want a child to be born unwanted. So my personal opinion goes out the window  in fear of problems I think it could cause like more abortions. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)