Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

THIS is NOT an answer for abortion.

Posted by   + Show Post

What a mess. This is scary . I HATE abortion But I LOVE women and they should all have ACCESS to birth control. How did things go so wrong?

The article is extremely long so I am including the link and some pieces of the article. i just think that being pro-life shouldn't mean people cut all funding and availability of BIRT CONTROL , it's wrong and could cause more expensive problems later. Yes I want women to not abort their children but isn't it best, all the way around, if they can get birth control and not get pregnant when they aren't willing to or able to support children? 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/05/us-states-slash-birth-control-idUSTRE8240ZM20120305

Mon Mar 5, 2012 10:41am EST

(Reuters) - Even as a national debate rages over contraception insurance, tens of thousands of low-income women and teenagers across the United States have lost access to subsidized birth control as states slash and restructure family planning funds.

the Texas funding cut prompted Planned Parenthood to shut down 11 clinics. It also has jeopardized a $40 million family-planning program run as a Medicaid extension.

The program provides free birth control and annual exams to 130,000 low-income women of reproductive age who don't qualify for regular Medicaid. The federal government pays 90 percent of the cost; Texas puts up just $4 million a year.

About 40 percent of women in the Texas program get subsidized care from Planned Parenthood clinics, but a new state law blocks those clinics from participating. The Obama administration has said that violates federal Medicaid rules. If neither side compromises, the program will likely close by the end of March.

That infuriates Jonee Longoria, a single mother in Houston who relied on the program for free services for several years as she put herself through college. "I had one child living in poverty and I didn't want another," Longoria said.

She now works for a social service agency and refers many clients to the program for contraception. Without it, she said, "where would they go?"

Advocates of defunding Planned Parenthood say they regret any service disruptions for poor women. But they call it a necessary price to pay to take a moral stance on abortion.

"We're just doing what we think is best," said Joe Pojman, executive director of Texas Alliance for Life, 

by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Replies (641-650):
NancyHey
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree with you.  Abortion should be a totally seperate issue from birth control, because it is something that involves the taking of a life.  Birth control should be supported, particularly since it will reduce the number of abortions.

moodymommy193
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM
very very true...while waiting for insurance i needed a ultrasound..called plannedparent hood and the said they wouldnt give me one unless it was for a pre-exam to get an abortion. I will pay to get my IUD even if they cut off my benifits here n VA, but a few years ago Id be upset cause we wld not be able to afford it...this situation sucks.
missmansmommy
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I am also pro-life. Abortion is not something I want my money going toward. We should not have to pay for  other's birth control.  If they are responsible they will get condoms or another contraceptive at the drug store, but the best thing is for people to take responsibilty for themselves by being abstinent until marriage and faithful thereafter.

LoriLou75
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

What about ALL the women that can no longer ger cancer or std screenings? This is more then birth control, it is about womens preventitive health care.

Quoting missmansmommy:

I am also pro-life. Abortion is not something I want my money going toward. We should not have to pay for  other's birth control.  If they are responsible they will get condoms or another contraceptive at the drug store, but the best thing is for people to take responsibilty for themselves by being abstinent until marriage and faithful thereafter.

Valerie731
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM
The way the "pill" usually prevents pregnancy is by ending it. The egg is/can be fertilized, however the hormones in the "pill" create such a volatile environment that the fetus is usually aborted before it attaches to wall of the uterus. Every once in a while, a woman gets pregnant while on the "pill", when actually, most women get pregnant, only a very few realize it. Just information...not opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jfoster183
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM
I am SO sick of this generation wanting EVERYTHING handed to them!Take some responsibility and ownership for your health and your life and stop demanding the govt. to have to take a moral stand and determine if they should pay for something for you! Be responsible!
Kerseygeek
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM
PrenatalRN - actually oral pills can prevent implantation. It's the backup to a failure to prevent ovulation. It does so by decreasing the lining that will support implantation. That's why you have such a light period. It's a forced pill period of what you have left. It's all written in the info that comes with the pills.

I struggled with this myself when deciding to go on BC. I do believe a baby is created at fertilization but I also had issues with my cycle that couldn't be fixed. My solution was to take a 3mth BC where I'd have less chance of ovulation happening by accident. I'm very prolife but I also think the decision should be left up to the woman. So many have health issues that require BC unless they want a hysterectomy. I am for education though to protect girls & women from needing to make the decision on abortion, including emotional, financial & spiritual. This country is being run by religious nutjobs who want to condemn things based on their twisted beliefs while ignoring those who get wrapped up in their attacks that are affected too. They need to leave the medicine to the doctors & butt out.

edit: forgot to mention that I used NFP & yes it works but no it isn't for everyone
seraphimsong
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Apparently so. That's what I was told!! If you can't afford your $100 bc (because you can't afford insurance through work, but don't qualify for state assistance) then you are not allowed to have sex!!

Smh

Quoting Mrs.DebB:

What I don't understand is why people think marriage negates the need for birth control. I'm a 25yo married, mother of 3. I had insane complications with my last birth (threepeat c/s) and dh and I have decided we can't afford (financially or emotionally) another baby. Should we just stop having sex?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seraphimsong
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM
If free/reduced cost programs are cut resulting in low income women to not have access to bc, there will be even more unplanned pregnancies & the need for welfare will increase.

Why is this so hard to understand? Prevention is key.

Quoting jfoster183:

I am SO sick of this generation wanting EVERYTHING handed to them!Take some responsibility and ownership for your health and your life and stop demanding the govt. to have to take a moral stand and determine if they should pay for something for you! Be responsible!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seraphimsong
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Your money does not go towards paying for abortions. There is a federal law that does not allow government money to fund abortions. Those are paid for by the patients.

Do some research.

Quoting missmansmommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN