Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

THIS is NOT an answer for abortion.

Posted by   + Show Post

What a mess. This is scary . I HATE abortion But I LOVE women and they should all have ACCESS to birth control. How did things go so wrong?

The article is extremely long so I am including the link and some pieces of the article. i just think that being pro-life shouldn't mean people cut all funding and availability of BIRT CONTROL , it's wrong and could cause more expensive problems later. Yes I want women to not abort their children but isn't it best, all the way around, if they can get birth control and not get pregnant when they aren't willing to or able to support children? 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/05/us-states-slash-birth-control-idUSTRE8240ZM20120305

Mon Mar 5, 2012 10:41am EST

(Reuters) - Even as a national debate rages over contraception insurance, tens of thousands of low-income women and teenagers across the United States have lost access to subsidized birth control as states slash and restructure family planning funds.

the Texas funding cut prompted Planned Parenthood to shut down 11 clinics. It also has jeopardized a $40 million family-planning program run as a Medicaid extension.

The program provides free birth control and annual exams to 130,000 low-income women of reproductive age who don't qualify for regular Medicaid. The federal government pays 90 percent of the cost; Texas puts up just $4 million a year.

About 40 percent of women in the Texas program get subsidized care from Planned Parenthood clinics, but a new state law blocks those clinics from participating. The Obama administration has said that violates federal Medicaid rules. If neither side compromises, the program will likely close by the end of March.

That infuriates Jonee Longoria, a single mother in Houston who relied on the program for free services for several years as she put herself through college. "I had one child living in poverty and I didn't want another," Longoria said.

She now works for a social service agency and refers many clients to the program for contraception. Without it, she said, "where would they go?"

Advocates of defunding Planned Parenthood say they regret any service disruptions for poor women. But they call it a necessary price to pay to take a moral stance on abortion.

"We're just doing what we think is best," said Joe Pojman, executive director of Texas Alliance for Life, 

by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Replies (691-700):
Mackenzie40
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:37 PM

wth is your point?  old news and has nothing to do with the OP.

Barack Obama recently clarified his position on late term abortion to the publisher of Relevant magazine:

"...I have repeatedly said that I think it's entirely appropriate for states to restrict or even prohibit late-term abortions as long as there is a strict, well-defined exception for the health of the mother. Now, I don't think that "mental distress" qualifies as the health of the mother. I think it has to be a serious physical issue that arises in pregnancy, where there are real, significant problems to the mother carrying that child to term. Otherwise, as long as there is such a medical exception in place, I think we can prohibit late-term abortions."

Quoting elliemae123:

I will be happy to give you some background information showing that Obama is ok with aborting babies that have been born/survive or survive abortion attempt on their life:

Source: FactCheck.org analysis of 2008 Saddleback joint appearance Aug 16, 2008

1997: opposed bill preventing partial-birth abortion

In 1997, Obama voted in the Illinois Senate against SB 230, a bill designed to prevent partial-birth abortions. In the US Senate, Obama has consistently voted to expand embryonic stem cell research. He has voted against requiring minors who get out-of-state abortions to notify their parents. The 
 Check out this article:  http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/obama-live-born-abortion/2009/12/12/id/341621

another article by FactCheck.org:
http://factcheck.org/2008/08/obama-and-infanticide/

There are more

In partial birth abortions the babies are allowed to be 'born' until their head is appearing or to the navel then they are killed before they completely leave the body.

see and read this page where Pres Bush signed the ban on partial birth abortions.

http://voices.yahoo.com/barack-hussein-obama-jr-defends-partial-birth-abortion-102246.html    Be sure and read the whole article. 

elliemae123
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Opposed legislation protecting born-alive failed abortions

Obama has consistently refused to support legislation that would define an infant who survives a late-term induced-labor abortion as a human being with the right to live. He insists that no restriction must ever be placed on the right of a mother to decide to abort her child.

On March 30, 2001, Obama was the only Illinois senator who rose to speak against a bill that would have protected babies who survived late term labor-induced abortion. Obama rose to object that if the bill passed, and a nine-month-old fetus survived a late-term labor-induced abortion was deemed to be a person who had a right to live, then the law would "forbid abortions to take place." Obama further explained the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment does not allow somebody to kill a child, so if the law deemed a child who survived a late-term labor-induced abortion had a right to live, "then this would be an anti-abortion statute."

Source: Obama Nation, by Jerome Corsi, p.238 Aug 1, 2008
kansasmom1978
by Katie on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM

that is what birth control is for

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

The answer to abortion is to teach women to respect their bodies. Not sleep with someone if they are not ready to be a parent.  

im in a commited relationship, and i dont know if i want any more kids.  i have a ss.  i think i want kids. but i we may decide one is enough.  should we never have sex again?

adulation
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I am pissed because i live in Texas and I used the women's health program to get my annual well-woman exam at planned parenthood whilei was uninsured, and right as my insurance is dropping me [less than 2 weeks ago] they are cutting the program and nowi can't even get my well woman exams, which is scary because i had precancerous cells in my cervix and had cryosurgery when i was 18 .

so... yeah... ive been signing petitions and trying to get others to as well.  

to me it's not even about birth control, it's about politicians using birth control as a DISTRACTION to keep women down.

gemikris82
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

The answer to abortion is to teach women to respect their bodies. Not sleep with someone if they are not ready to be a parent.  

im in a commited relationship, and i dont know if i want any more kids.  i have a ss.  i think i want kids. but i we may decide one is enough.  should we never have sex again?

im on the pill, and if it fails, i dont know what ill do

kansasmom1978
by Katie on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

So if it fails you would consider abortion? I don't see how a woman can consider that.  But to each their own.

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

LoriLou75
by Lori on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this
This is what everyone is missing. It is not just about paying for birth control. It is that women that are under/uninsured are losing access to basic preventitive care.

Quoting adulation:

I am pissed because i live in Texas and I used the women's health program to get my annual well-woman exam at planned parenthood whilei was uninsured, and right as my insurance is dropping me [less than 2 weeks ago] they are cutting the program and nowi can't even get my well woman exams, which is scary because i had precancerous cells in my cervix and had cryosurgery when i was 18 .

so... yeah... ive been signing petitions and trying to get others to as well.  

to me it's not even about birth control, it's about politicians using birth control as a DISTRACTION to keep women down.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gemikris82
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Quoting kansasmom1978:

So if it fails you would consider abortion? I don't see how a woman can consider that.  But to each their own.

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

yep i would consider it.  there are a lot of reasons for me not to have kids right now.

kansasmom1978
by Katie on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM

what a pity

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

yep i would consider it.  there are a lot of reasons for me not to have kids right now.

gemikris82
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Quoting kansasmom1978:

what a pity

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

not really, i have a great ss who i love to death. and i want to get my career rolling.  thats the most important thing to me right now

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)