Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

THIS is NOT an answer for abortion.

Posted by   + Show Post

What a mess. This is scary . I HATE abortion But I LOVE women and they should all have ACCESS to birth control. How did things go so wrong?

The article is extremely long so I am including the link and some pieces of the article. i just think that being pro-life shouldn't mean people cut all funding and availability of BIRT CONTROL , it's wrong and could cause more expensive problems later. Yes I want women to not abort their children but isn't it best, all the way around, if they can get birth control and not get pregnant when they aren't willing to or able to support children? 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/05/us-states-slash-birth-control-idUSTRE8240ZM20120305

Mon Mar 5, 2012 10:41am EST

(Reuters) - Even as a national debate rages over contraception insurance, tens of thousands of low-income women and teenagers across the United States have lost access to subsidized birth control as states slash and restructure family planning funds.

the Texas funding cut prompted Planned Parenthood to shut down 11 clinics. It also has jeopardized a $40 million family-planning program run as a Medicaid extension.

The program provides free birth control and annual exams to 130,000 low-income women of reproductive age who don't qualify for regular Medicaid. The federal government pays 90 percent of the cost; Texas puts up just $4 million a year.

About 40 percent of women in the Texas program get subsidized care from Planned Parenthood clinics, but a new state law blocks those clinics from participating. The Obama administration has said that violates federal Medicaid rules. If neither side compromises, the program will likely close by the end of March.

That infuriates Jonee Longoria, a single mother in Houston who relied on the program for free services for several years as she put herself through college. "I had one child living in poverty and I didn't want another," Longoria said.

She now works for a social service agency and refers many clients to the program for contraception. Without it, she said, "where would they go?"

Advocates of defunding Planned Parenthood say they regret any service disruptions for poor women. But they call it a necessary price to pay to take a moral stance on abortion.

"We're just doing what we think is best," said Joe Pojman, executive director of Texas Alliance for Life, 

by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Replies (701-710):
wulfeyes05
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:34 PM

What about rape victims? Will they be forced to get pregnant and have their rapist's baby?

kansasmom1978
by Katie on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I have a great stepson, a son and a daughter. We dont' want anymore kids.  My hubby got snipped.  It's well know that vasectomies can naturally reverse.  If I was to become pregnant well i would have to adapt to 4 kids.  There is no way in hell I would kill my baby wanted or not.

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

what a pity

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

So if it fails you would consider abortion? I don't see how a woman can consider that.  But to each their own.

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

that is what birth control is for

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

The answer to abortion is to teach women to respect their bodies. Not sleep with someone if they are not ready to be a parent.  

im in a commited relationship, and i dont know if i want any more kids.  i have a ss.  i think i want kids. but i we may decide one is enough.  should we never have sex again?

im on the pill, and if it fails, i dont know what ill do

yep i would consider it.  there are a lot of reasons for me not to have kids right now.

not really, i have a great ss who i love to death. and i want to get my career rolling.  thats the most important thing to me right now

gemikris82
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Quoting kansasmom1978:

I have a great stepson, a son and a daughter. We dont' want anymore kids.  My hubby got snipped.  It's well know that vasectomies can naturally reverse.  If I was to become pregnant well i would have to adapt to 4 kids.  There is no way in hell I would kill my baby wanted or not.

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

what a pity

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

So if it fails you would consider abortion? I don't see how a woman can consider that.  But to each their own.

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

that is what birth control is for

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

The answer to abortion is to teach women to respect their bodies. Not sleep with someone if they are not ready to be a parent.  

im in a commited relationship, and i dont know if i want any more kids.  i have a ss.  i think i want kids. but i we may decide one is enough.  should we never have sex again?

im on the pill, and if it fails, i dont know what ill do

yep i would consider it.  there are a lot of reasons for me not to have kids right now.

not really, i have a great ss who i love to death. and i want to get my career rolling.  thats the most important thing to me right now

my boyfriends not gonna get snipped.  we may want kids later on. even if it can be reversed, im not going to have him do something drastic.  ill stick wit the pill.  but if i got pregnant and it was at a bad time, we would discuss it if it was a good idea or not to have the baby.  he knows gettin back to work and gettin started is important to me.

demonica29
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Quoting aliday2:

Really? Because you write just like a backwoods yahoo.
JeniJonas
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting StevensCare4u:

There is nothing wrong with being sexually active. Having sex isnt a NEED its a desire. Its not okay for someone else to pay for BC because you want to have sex. If you were a resposible adult you will pay the $30 a month or $60 every 3 months to stay protected. Whats next? are they gonna add condoms in as a free thing for men? no.

Quoting CTRedSoxMom:

In this economy there are some 80 year olds that cannot afford prescription drugs they need. If they have no health insurance they should be able to have a program where they can get it discounted, just like any form of medication someone needs.

What is with people constantly trying to punish women for being sexually active?

Quoting StevensCare4u:

I didnt read the article, but my view on this topic is simple. Young women should have BC availible to them for free. I mean under 21 years of age. By 21 a women should be self sufficiant enough to be able to supply her own BC. BC is much cheaper then having a child. So for someone to say "I cant afford it" is crazy. HAving sex is a choice, not something that you have to do. If you CHOOSE to have sex then you should CHOOSE to purchase it yourself as an adult.

Here's the problem with this logic, you said "If you were a responsible adult." That right there is the problem. There are a LOT of women in this world who have NO business reproducing AT ALL because they aren't responsible adults. They are either ignorant/uneducated, homeless, drug addicts, and the last thing we need is to take away any resources that might prevent an unwanted child being born into this life and in turn neglected and/or abused. I work in a childrens shelter and I really wish I could slip bc into these womens water supply or that at a point state health insurance would push for sterilization.

demonica29
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Quoting Looking2Adopt1:

If you can't afford, or don't want, more children there is a very simple answer.  Keep your legs SHUT!  Abstinence is, and always has been, the only answer.  I am Catholic and I, as well as the rest of the practicing members of my faith, believe that birth control IS a form of abortion.  Anything that stops conception, except for natural family planning, is stopping life that God put us here to make.  Marry and be fruitful and multiply.  Birth control, condoms, abortion especially, and even simply spilling a mans "seed" is wrong! 

Keep the legs shut and there won't be problems.  If you are raped then put the child up for adoption.

ROFLMFAO, please put your husband on, so I can ask hi about that whole spilling of seed thing.
demonica29
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Quoting Looking2Adopt1:

randi - So you think it's wrong to have things forced upon you then why is it ok for the government to FORCE us "religious" people (the ones who have faith and believe abortion/birth control is against Gods plan) to have health plans that support abortion/contraceptives???   Tad hypocritical on your part, and that of the government, don't you think?

No one is FORCING you to use BC.
demonica29
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Quoting daevans:

All of us here have had sex, and had babies, or we wouldn't be on here. But think about it this way, wouldn't we want birth control available for our children? Granted we all want our kids to stay virgins until they are married, but in reality, more than half of us will have a sexually active teenager. I am a mother of 2 boys, but I would want whatever girl that they are with to be able to have access to bc (I would want them to use condoms too). This effects our children too. I don't want my babies having babies, but I feel if they are going to have sex I want them to be safe in all ways possible.

No, it is not granted that we all want our children to remain virgins until marriage.
jenndcope
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't read everything on this issue, but I just have to chime in.  As someone who has had three miscarriages, and had to have a pregnancy terminated for medical reasons, then went on to loose an ovary after I'd had three surgeries to remove cysts on my ovaries, as well as endometriosis, suffered from severe endo for years and then finally got pregnant with my beautiful son, then had a hysterectomy a year after he was born... I  just can not understand this debate!  I read the other day, on a reputable news site, that now a state is trying to give personhood rights to sperm!  What?  So, what does that mean for other couples like my husband and myself, that we are guilty of murder?  Because we sure haven't stopped having sex just because I had a hysterecomy!

All of that aside, I am pro-life, but not in the sense that I think I have the right to tell anyone else what to do.  When I was younger, I thought I would never have an abortion for any reason, and any time the issue was brought up, I would swear by my convictions.  I had no clue that at 27, after trying to get pregnant for a year and finally conceiving, I would be on a bed in an emergency room, bleeding and hurting the way I was, and then being told that I either had to make the choice or possibly die several hours later.   After the D&C, we found out the pregnancy may have been viable and it was a very difficult time.  Then a year later, I was pregnant with our son who is truly a gift from God.

I am so tired of this debate, and I am tired of seeing politicians talk sideways.  The right wingers say that they want Americans to be able to make choices for themeselves, without the reach of government in their lives...and I am left to wonder do they mean in every aspect of life except for our bedrooms?  I am pro-life in the sense that I don't like the idea of a woman just having an abortion every time she gets pregnant because she is careless.  I don't want to pay for someone else's abortions in this instance. And I'm sure that happens, but you know what, I can't control what someone else does.  I don't want to pay for other people's abortions, but I also don't want to say that I am not willing to pay for someone else's birth control when I've seen first hand what happens to unwanted children, or children that can not be taken care of.

I wonder, will these same people who are so dead set against contraception be willing to take in foster children?  Will they be willing to let their doorstop be a drop off place for unwanted babies?  Here I am not talking about abortion, I'm talking more about contraception.

Then, as in my case, what are they saying to women who have to be on birth control for medical reasons, such as I was, to regulate their cycles?  Or, in the future, will women be barred from having a hysterectomy because they are chosing sterilization, even if it's medically necessary?  Do they know what it is like to have to have a hysterectomy?  Do they?  I had to go to my OB's office, and fill out what seemed like a volume of paperwork acknowledging that I was going to be sterilzed.  That was another difficult moment.  I had no choice, I had to do it.  In the futrue, will the goverment be able to tell you that you can not have this procedure done becasue it doesn't fit into what someone else believes is right? 

I am pro-life, I will say it again, but I realize that is a choice.  That is my choice based on my convictions as well as what I've gone through.  I've never been in another woman's shoes and had to make the choice for other reasons.  These are such complicated issues though, and I don't have all of the answers,  I don't have to like another woman's choice, but I have to respect her right as an American to make that choice. 

And then, if birth control is regulated, what about condoms?  Get real, I want to scream to Mr. Santorum and the other people I've heard or read about who do not like contraceptives.  Teenagers will have sex.  College kids will have sex.  Unmarried single people are going to have sex.  Teaching abstinence is a good thing, but we have to be realistic.  This is coming from someone who took a purity pledge in high school. I did well until I was 19.  It happens.  I want to know what these people who are so against contraception think about going on dates and being there in that moment when two people have hormones, wants, and desires, and choices.  We all know the consequences are usually the last thing on the brain in the heat of the moment, no matter how religious, grounded, or well-intended a person is.  These are facts. 

This is just my opinion,  of course, but I think it's also common sense.  My brother and I were discussing this issue the other day, and while he is much more liberal than I am, we both agree that we can't believe that in 2012 we are now in a national debate over birth control.  Maybe it's not even about birth control, but more about, well, control. 

TXMompreneur
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Generally speaking, you are NOT paying for it.  This whole issue came up because certain religious institutions didn't want their employees health insurance--which the employees pay for--to offer the option for birth control coverage.  Not all the employees of these institutions have the same religious beliefs, and therefore should not be subjected to the religious beliefs of those institutions.

If you listened to Sandra Fluke, the Georgetown University law student who testified before an unofficial Congressional panel--after having been banned from speaking to the official panel, where 5 male religious leaders spoke--what she was promoting was having the birth control option added to health insurance that employees and students such as those at Georgetown are paying for.

What I don't want to pay for is all the low-lifes who are on welfare...in some families for 4-5 generations.  And YOU ARE paying for THEM!

Frankly, you do NOT "hold yourself to a higher standard", whether it's "self control" or anything else, you just think you do.  And I'm no "liberal", I just don't believe like you do.  It's MY body, and MY choice what I do with it, frequently under the advice of a doctor.  It is NOT up to ANY man, whether it's the pope, a congressman, or any OTHER male, to dictate to me what I do with my body or my reproductive rights--and my husband agrees with me!

Quoting mothertrucker30:

tatum2U,  Why am I never surprised to hear how you liberals seem to always make yourselves out to be the victims and christians out to be villains.  Quit lying.  I am a conservative catholic and I am not saying nor is anyone else saying what you are implying.  We have values and beliefs that we should be able to live out without interruption.  I'm not telling anyone how to do anything, so why is it ok for you to make me pay for something that is against my beliefs?  We are simply saying DONT MAKE US PAY FOR IT.  That's all.  But you insist on attacking me.  Why?  Can you not stand the fact that I hold myself up to a higher standard by having self control and don't give into every feel good temptation out there?  Do as you please, just keep me out of your business.  Have your slaughter houses and planned parenthoods, but don't make it law for me to pay for it.  You say you are for women's health, yet birth control and abortion are huge contributors to cancer.  Quit speaking out of both sides of your mouth. (There is nothing healthy about putting chemicals in your body to make it behave against the way nature intended it.)  DO WHAT YOU WANT, BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT.... JUST DONT MAKE ME PAY FOR IT.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)