Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

THIS is NOT an answer for abortion.

Posted by   + Show Post

What a mess. This is scary . I HATE abortion But I LOVE women and they should all have ACCESS to birth control. How did things go so wrong?

The article is extremely long so I am including the link and some pieces of the article. i just think that being pro-life shouldn't mean people cut all funding and availability of BIRT CONTROL , it's wrong and could cause more expensive problems later. Yes I want women to not abort their children but isn't it best, all the way around, if they can get birth control and not get pregnant when they aren't willing to or able to support children? 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/05/us-states-slash-birth-control-idUSTRE8240ZM20120305

Mon Mar 5, 2012 10:41am EST

(Reuters) - Even as a national debate rages over contraception insurance, tens of thousands of low-income women and teenagers across the United States have lost access to subsidized birth control as states slash and restructure family planning funds.

the Texas funding cut prompted Planned Parenthood to shut down 11 clinics. It also has jeopardized a $40 million family-planning program run as a Medicaid extension.

The program provides free birth control and annual exams to 130,000 low-income women of reproductive age who don't qualify for regular Medicaid. The federal government pays 90 percent of the cost; Texas puts up just $4 million a year.

About 40 percent of women in the Texas program get subsidized care from Planned Parenthood clinics, but a new state law blocks those clinics from participating. The Obama administration has said that violates federal Medicaid rules. If neither side compromises, the program will likely close by the end of March.

That infuriates Jonee Longoria, a single mother in Houston who relied on the program for free services for several years as she put herself through college. "I had one child living in poverty and I didn't want another," Longoria said.

She now works for a social service agency and refers many clients to the program for contraception. Without it, she said, "where would they go?"

Advocates of defunding Planned Parenthood say they regret any service disruptions for poor women. But they call it a necessary price to pay to take a moral stance on abortion.

"We're just doing what we think is best," said Joe Pojman, executive director of Texas Alliance for Life, 

by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Replies (711-720):
TXMompreneur
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 2:05 AM

I don't know...I think it sounds like a GREAT deal to me!  I know my ammunition would be a LOT more expensive than someone else's contraception!  ROFLMAO

Quoting onethentwins:

Quoting MomOwl:

a saw a picture on FB just a minute ago of a bumper sticker....

"I'll pay for your contraception when you pay for my ammunition"

yeah that's just about as idiotic as you can get.

girlieofgod1
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 2:15 AM

I am pro life and I don't think that birth control really has much to do with that other than on a personal level for me and my husband.  We believe that if we are meant to have a child God will give us one, so we don't use birth control of any kind. I used some for about 6 months when I was having some heavy periods that lasted about 3 weeks! but we didn't do it with the mind set atht it was to prevent pregnancy. 

I think everyone has a right to have access.  However, I dont' think its the responsibility of the EMPLOYER to do it.  the insurance company should provide it.  its a personal decision to be made between a woman and her partner.

Also Walmart has generic birth control for $10 a month available without insurance.  Besides that there are other forms of birth control that people can use besides fake hormones.  I udnerstand there are circumstances where someone can't take the type of birth control that is offered through these types of programs, other options are still available. 

If you are not in a position that you can handle having a child as a result of having sex, then don't have sex because Even with Birth control it is a possibility that you can get pregnant. 

TXMompreneur
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 2:33 AM

You DO know, don't you, that the whole edict against a man "spilling his seed" comes from a time when women were property, NOT "humans", NO ONE knew anything about ovaries, fallopian tubes, eggs, sperm, fertilization, uteruses, etc., and they believed that ALL that was necessary for human life was what came out of the man (his "seed") and a woman's ONLY part in the whole process was to give the baby a place to grow.  You DO know that, don't you?  They also believed the world was flat, and if they took their boats too far from shore, they'd fall off the edge. 

And I'm certain that your suggestion to "keep your legs SHUT" will go over well with husband all across America.  Brilliant advice.

Quoting demonica29:

Quoting Looking2Adopt1:

If you can't afford, or don't want, more children there is a very simple answer.  Keep your legs SHUT!  Abstinence is, and always has been, the only answer.  I am Catholic and I, as well as the rest of the practicing members of my faith, believe that birth control IS a form of abortion.  Anything that stops conception, except for natural family planning, is stopping life that God put us here to make.  Marry and be fruitful and multiply.  Birth control, condoms, abortion especially, and even simply spilling a mans "seed" is wrong! 

Keep the legs shut and there won't be problems.  If you are raped then put the child up for adoption.

ROFLMFAO, please put your husband on, so I can ask hi about that whole spilling of seed thing.

BrookesMama
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 4:14 AM

ridiculous

TinkyBabysMom
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Quoting astenken:

Yes, there is no logic in society going to Hell in a handbasket since the advent of the pill.  Pope Pius XI warned that birth control would lead to much more abortion, and finally to an acceptance of euthanasia as well as more failed marriages, a breakdown of society as families broke down. All of this has come to pass as people become more and more hardened to their fellow man and become more selfish in their pursuit of pleasure.  Divorce and drug use is higher than ever.  Most children are born into unstable families.  Jails are overcrowded.  Life is grand, and birth control and abortion make it so much better!  Women deserve better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casti_Connubii

When the Pope has 10 months of pregnancy because we all know it's not really 9 months, gives birth, and raises a child on an average salary then he can tell me what to do what to do with my body until then him and his beliefs can f of.

TinkyBabysMom
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Quoting Looking2Adopt1:

If you can't afford, or don't want, more children there is a very simple answer.  Keep your legs SHUT!  Abstinence is, and always has been, the only answer.  I am Catholic and I, as well as the rest of the practicing members of my faith, believe that birth control IS a form of abortion.  Anything that stops conception, except for natural family planning, is stopping life that God put us here to make.  Marry and be fruitful and multiply.  Birth control, condoms, abortion especially, and even simply spilling a mans "seed" is wrong! 

Keep the legs shut and there won't be problems.  If you are raped then put the child up for adoption.

I was once Catholic and no one not a single person I know actually follows the no birth control. I CANNOT follow the is it Calander Method.Why? Because I have never had a normal scheduled period in my life.. Without birthcontrol I bleed for months. So by your logic I should bleed nonstop for 6 months and die from having another baby because my soul purpose in life is to breed. I don't think the Catholic church is for suicide because that's exactly what I'd be doing ...

LoriLou75
by Lori on Mar. 7, 2012 at 7:31 AM
This needs to be reposted on every page. I am so tired of reading "I don't want to pay for others to have sex" it makes you sound very stupid, especially since that is not the topic!

Quoting Mackenzie40:

Quoting MomOwl:

a saw a picture on FB just a minute ago of a bumper sticker....

"I'll pay for your contraception when you pay for my ammunition"

That makes no sense at all. I think to many separate issues are getting mixed up into this.

Catholic institutions do not have to pay for birth control .

Women who work Earn their insurance it's part of the package ; pay , benefits , vacation time etc , the issue in the OP is cutting funding to clinics , clinics that provide overall women's health services and MY tax dollars pay into just the same as everyone else's . Since when did we get to pick and choose where every penny goes? The government is supposed to be concerned with what is best for the countries people overall , considering 99% of women use health services including birth control. It seems obvious that continuing to make that health care accessible to all women should be a priority.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudSailor76
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I am a Christian and while I am ok with birth control I am NOT ok with abortion. That being said I am Pro choice for the world and Pro life for myself. THAT being said I don't think it is ok for Planned Parenthood to provide free abortions! Why should my tax dollars fund something that is against my beliefs? Instead of providing abortion they should be focusing on helping these women prevent unwanted proenancies by not having sex until they are ready to be a parent or using a condom!! Those still exist right? I'm not sure because I keep seeing all this crap about women wanting to be given free abortions and bc but nothing about condoms!

LoriLou75
by Lori on Mar. 7, 2012 at 8:56 AM
No one proposed PP offer free abortions!. If you read the op, the problem is that funding has been cut for women's health clinics, leaving thousands of woman without access to affordable health care. No cancer screening, STD screening, diabetes screening and birth control.

Quoting ProudSailor76:

I am a Christian and while I am ok with birth control I am NOT ok with abortion. That being said I am Pro choice for the world and Pro life for myself. THAT being said I don't think it is ok for Planned Parenthood to provide free abortions! Why should my tax dollars fund something that is against my beliefs? Instead of providing abortion they should be focusing on helping these women prevent unwanted proenancies by not having sex until they are ready to be a parent or using a condom!! Those still exist right? I'm not sure because I keep seeing all this crap about women wanting to be given free abortions and bc but nothing about condoms!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
juanhaly
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I completely agree with you, our tax dollars shouldn't be doing that either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)