Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

THIS is NOT an answer for abortion.

Posted by   + Show Post

What a mess. This is scary . I HATE abortion But I LOVE women and they should all have ACCESS to birth control. How did things go so wrong?

The article is extremely long so I am including the link and some pieces of the article. i just think that being pro-life shouldn't mean people cut all funding and availability of BIRT CONTROL , it's wrong and could cause more expensive problems later. Yes I want women to not abort their children but isn't it best, all the way around, if they can get birth control and not get pregnant when they aren't willing to or able to support children? 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/05/us-states-slash-birth-control-idUSTRE8240ZM20120305

Mon Mar 5, 2012 10:41am EST

(Reuters) - Even as a national debate rages over contraception insurance, tens of thousands of low-income women and teenagers across the United States have lost access to subsidized birth control as states slash and restructure family planning funds.

the Texas funding cut prompted Planned Parenthood to shut down 11 clinics. It also has jeopardized a $40 million family-planning program run as a Medicaid extension.

The program provides free birth control and annual exams to 130,000 low-income women of reproductive age who don't qualify for regular Medicaid. The federal government pays 90 percent of the cost; Texas puts up just $4 million a year.

About 40 percent of women in the Texas program get subsidized care from Planned Parenthood clinics, but a new state law blocks those clinics from participating. The Obama administration has said that violates federal Medicaid rules. If neither side compromises, the program will likely close by the end of March.

That infuriates Jonee Longoria, a single mother in Houston who relied on the program for free services for several years as she put herself through college. "I had one child living in poverty and I didn't want another," Longoria said.

She now works for a social service agency and refers many clients to the program for contraception. Without it, she said, "where would they go?"

Advocates of defunding Planned Parenthood say they regret any service disruptions for poor women. But they call it a necessary price to pay to take a moral stance on abortion.

"We're just doing what we think is best," said Joe Pojman, executive director of Texas Alliance for Life, 

by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Replies (781-790):
LoriLou75
by Lori on Jun. 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Technically, if you can't afford a pregnancy you shouldn't get pregnant. 

Yes, if you aren't willing to accept the debt of a pregnancy abortions IS an option. That is not the same as, "you should have aborted because now you are in debt", and the whole discussion you are pretending to have with your embryo is beyond ridiculous!

I would love for our society to be at a place where abortions are ONLY done for medical reasons, but it would be a travesty to make that a law. It simply opens too many doors to allow abusers to have control over their victims, to allow Dr's and courts control over birthing plans, and to allow limitations on the type ofd BC available.

Quoting ddemarco:

Technically, I couldn't afford my pregnancy.  I am in huge debt from my pregancy.  So I should have just aborted my baby?  "Sorry, kiddo.  Mommy and Daddy really shouldn't have had sex because we couldn't afford you, so I'm just going to kill you now.  Bye!"  Abortions should only be used in the case of a medical emergency!

Quoting LoriLou75:

WTH...so if a woman can't afford to continue a pregnancy, we should make sure she can't afford an abortion. Thats a new one, abortions only for the wealthy!!

Quoting ddemarco:

so why not provide free birth control for those 19 and older with the exception of married people who are younger than that?  instead of giving 14 year olds free contraceptives.  or even just giving married people free contraceptives.  with the exclusion of abortions.  abortions should not be covered under anything and they should be darned expensive to get.

just my opinion.  and of course, this is way too easy for politicians...

“If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed”.

-Albert Einstein

jessi2girls
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Yup, this is why the extremists on pro-life really fuck it up for everyone..

and why I'm pro-choice, and pro-unwanted pregnancy PREVENTION!!

jessi2girls
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kansasmom1978:

The answer to abortion is to teach women to respect their bodies. Not sleep with someone if they are not ready to be a parent.  

You do know that there are a lot of MARRIED women who get abortions too right?

How are they not "respecting their bodies"?

It's not about "respecting" their bodies dear! Get a clue!

jessi2girls
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I think people should have access to health care but I don't nessesarily think that birth control or abortion should be funded by state/government run programs. It costs under $30 a month to pay for birth control, if you don't want to get pregnant then that $30 a month is well worth the cost.

I also use NFP to prevent pregnancy. It's free.

$30 a month is cheaper that $450 for an abortion, or the following cost of childcare (food stamps, wic, child care (day care), etc).

jessi2girls
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 9:45 AM

No it's really not affordable to those that are really pushing their budgets!! That $30 is grocery money for the month for a lot of these women!! BC/food.. I think you get the picture on why they would obviously choose something that helps them survive..

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I am pro-life and will not use birth control for contraceptive because personally it is basically like an abortion *to me* if my baby cannot implant. I do believe everyone should have access to birth control and everyone will, but I don't feel it's the governments place to provide these services because birth control is very affordable anyways.

Quoting randi1978:

How are they "doing what's right" by making it harder for women to access contraceptives?

Oh, wait.....even birth control is abortion to some of them backwoods yahoo's.....Single women are supposed to be nuns until Prince fucking Charming comes along with a marriage proposal.

aliday2
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Quoting CTRedSoxMom:

The government isn't paying to have anything killed.

Quoting Aspirel:

You dont pay for my health care choices.I have private insurance,i do not have medicaid. And I am not morally against a person getting chemo treatment or an epidural,neither of which kill a human being. If you really don't see the difference there then I don't know what to tell you..

Quoting CTRedSoxMom:

Only if we can make your health choices a community effort too!

You want to decide which cancer patients get chemo on medicaid too?
Or what about the women on medicaid giving birth?  No epidural for them?  

Quoting Aspirel:

Gee either dont have sex or invest in some condoms?Why should tax payers have to foot the bill in any form if you decide to have sex? You are all for women's reproductive rights until they have to pay for it themselves,make up your mind. You can't expect me to stay out of your reproductive choices as I foot the bill for them.

GaleJ
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I am staunchly pro-choice, every single woman has the right to control her body and her reproductive life. Having said that this goes so beyond being pro-choice or not; this goes to the idea that women should not have control over their bodies and lives, that this control should be vested in an element of an elected government. We are not talking here of a government agency that has expertise or experts to oversee a program but politicians that use this issue as part of their personal agenda and whose idea of progress, apparently, is the fifties. Our bodies, our lives are not theirs to use, we must not allow this to happen for ourselves, our daughters, all the women for whom we must stand up and demand respect. I am a woman and I vote my principles.

DBKels
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Yes it costs 30 a month if you have insurance, which I do not.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I think people should have access to health care but I don't nessesarily think that birth control or abortion should be funded by state/government run programs. It costs under $30 a month to pay for birth control, if you don't want to get pregnant then that $30 a month is well worth the cost.

I also use NFP to prevent pregnancy. It's free.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by Katie on Jun. 8, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Yes it is. If you don't want a child, then do what is needed to prevent one. Birth control, condoms whatever. It's not a babies fault their parents are so selfish.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

The answer to abortion is to teach women to respect their bodies. Not sleep with someone if they are not ready to be a parent.  

jessi2girls
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM

1- your statement "not sleep with someone".. married people are OBVIOUSLY going to sleep together, so your "respect your own bodies" is a shit answer.

2- birth control fails for a number of reasons, condoms break, even natural familly planning prevention can backfire if you have two random ovulation cycles in one month.. it's how our second daughter came to be.. trust me, we weren't being selfish, we were doing basically everything except abstinance to prevent pregnancy after having to have an abortion from a planned child that nearly killed me. You clearly are too far left to see the gray though..

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Yes it is. If you don't want a child, then do what is needed to prevent one. Birth control, condoms whatever. It's not a babies fault their parents are so selfish.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)