Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Child support enforcement with poll Added an Edit!

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 3:55 PM
  • 370 Replies
3 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Do you think the noncustodial parent should end up in jail for not paying to support their children?

Options:

yes

no

It should be determined on a case by case situation

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 487

View Results

So I have this "friend" on facebook. I used to work with her years ago and haven't seen her in 6 plus years. Her husband just got sent to jail for 6 months due to not paying child support. She commented about how it was not fair that he is being taken from his family and how is he supposed to pay it if he is in jail, blah blah blah! I have seen this on here before too. I am on the other side of this where I am the custodial parent and my 2 dd's bio-dad likes to pretend they don't exist. He hasn't paid anything in well over 1 1/2 years and nothing is happening as far as I know. So my question is....

Should they end up in jail? If not how do you think it should be enforced?

ETA: I wanted to add this because someone came up with this idea and honestly I do not know why it would not be an option in child support issues. House arrest and limited license....meaning they can only leave the house and drive for work. Then the ncp does not lose their jobs, do not lose contact with their children(if they have it). I really like this idea and would much rather my ex do this than be put in jail where he would have no option of paying it. Now if only the lawmakers would read cafemom! ;)

by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Mar. 19, 2012 at 3:57 PM
9 moms liked this
I took my ex to court for none Payment And he was arrested on the spot. Magically he came up with the amount he owed in 24 hrs. It now comes on time cause he doesn't want to be arrested again
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
texasjen
by Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I just dont think my ex husband should go to jail for not paying his child support. That's my opinion for my case......

hautemama83
by Nichole on Mar. 19, 2012 at 3:58 PM
7 moms liked this
No. I don't think enforcement should go farther than wage garnishment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3earthangels
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 3:58 PM
I have uncommon views on child support. There are may cases I don't believe a ncp should be put in jail for non-payment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterflies798
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Why? Not to be nosey but this is CM....what makes your case so different? What about that other child and their needs? Why isn't he paying it to begin with?

Quoting texasjen:

I just dont think my ex husband should go to jail for not paying his child support. That's my opinion for my case......

art.diva
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
If a man can't afford it, he can't afford it. And by that I mean if the CS costs more than he earns, then its not his fault.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lil_Army_Wife05
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM
5 moms liked this

I believe they should go to jail...However, my sons BIO father owes 50K in back child support and I haven't gotten much child support in 12 years...Yeah I would LOVEEEEEEEE to see my ex go to jail!

butterflies798
7 moms liked this

So the the noncustodial parent can jump from job to job or get a job paying "under the table"? Never paying to help support their child that they created?

Quoting hautemama83:

No. I don't think enforcement should go farther than wage garnishment.

tm88rn
12 moms liked this

Yes, they should. They can either give up all parental rights, or they can pay for the child that they helped create.

nerdymom28
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:01 PM
4 moms liked this

I voted for the case by case situation. I have a friend who desperately wants to see his daughter, but her mother refuses to let him. She still expects him to pay child support, though. He can't even stay out of jail long enough to get a good job so he CAN pay. He's out for a couple months, then she is right on his ass about it and gets him sent to jail again. He can never get on top if she doesn't cut him a break. And all that when she won't even let him see his kid...it's a shame. His child's mother is being ridiculous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)