Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Child support enforcement with poll Added an Edit!

Poll

Question: Do you think the noncustodial parent should end up in jail for not paying to support their children?

Options:

yes

no

It should be determined on a case by case situation

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 487

View Results

So I have this "friend" on facebook. I used to work with her years ago and haven't seen her in 6 plus years. Her husband just got sent to jail for 6 months due to not paying child support. She commented about how it was not fair that he is being taken from his family and how is he supposed to pay it if he is in jail, blah blah blah! I have seen this on here before too. I am on the other side of this where I am the custodial parent and my 2 dd's bio-dad likes to pretend they don't exist. He hasn't paid anything in well over 1 1/2 years and nothing is happening as far as I know. So my question is....

Should they end up in jail? If not how do you think it should be enforced?

ETA: I wanted to add this because someone came up with this idea and honestly I do not know why it would not be an option in child support issues. House arrest and limited license....meaning they can only leave the house and drive for work. Then the ncp does not lose their jobs, do not lose contact with their children(if they have it). I really like this idea and would much rather my ex do this than be put in jail where he would have no option of paying it. Now if only the lawmakers would read cafemom! ;)

by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Replies (21-30):
hp2011
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:06 PM

No. I don't think it should be punishable by jail.

butterflies798
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I am pretty sure my ex has side jobs like that too. I did have his wife now paying the child support for a while to keep him out of jail but now they just stopped paying.

Quoting aktotx:

I think if the other parent is doing side jobs that are being paid under the table so they don't have to pay child support then yes haul them off.   My exhusband is one of those he decided he didn't want to be a father anymore and walked out of the kids lives and did everything he can to not pay.  As of now he owes over $43,000 and will just keep growing and I will never see a dime of it.

longhorngal
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:07 PM
4 moms liked this

In Texas, or in my county, you still have to pay CS if you don't have a job.  They figure it based on minimum wage if that's the case.  It just racks up.  If you are delinquent, you can't get a driver's license, marriage license, fishing license, etc. 

butterflies798
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:07 PM

How do you think it should be handled? Did you see that some of these women are owed 10's of thousands of dollars?

Quoting hp2011:

Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this
If a cp doesn't provide for Thier kids that would be neglect And they could lose their kids or go to jail for that. Why should a ncp not helping support Thier kids be any different

Quoting hautemama83:

Those cases are few and far between. They're not the majority.

Do cp's go to jail if they don't support their children?

Quoting butterflies798:

So the the noncustodial parent can jump from job to job or get a job paying "under the table"? Never paying to help support their child that they created?

Quoting hautemama83:

No. I don't think enforcement should go farther than wage garnishment.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pasteeater
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:08 PM

That's what me ex does.  He owes almost 22,000 dollars.  He works under the table so he doesn't have to pay.  The DA is looking for him though.  They sent me a letter asking me if I knew where he was.  WTF?  If I knew they'd know!!!

Quoting butterflies798:

So the the noncustodial parent can jump from job to job or get a job paying "under the table"? Never paying to help support their child that they created?

Quoting hautemama83:

hp2011
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely, but you aren't going to get money at ALL if they're in jail.

Quoting butterflies798:

How do you think it should be handled? Did you see that some of these women are owed 10's of thousands of dollars?

Quoting hp2011:

I am a mother since May 1st of 2008 to Isaiah

And since January 4th, 2012 to Kelly

And a SAHM since October of 2011

MaaMee6317
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Yes they should and my x has been 1 1/2 yrs outta 9. I want to know how he avoids jail? I want him to sit
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenBof6
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM
No I don't think jail should be a punishment.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterflies798
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Quoting hautemama83:

Those cases are few and far between. They're not the majority.

Do cp's go to jail if they don't support their children?

Quoting butterflies798:

Quoting hautemama83:

I think its more common than you think. And no cp's do not....they get something far worse, their children taken away!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)