Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Child support enforcement with poll Added an Edit!

Poll

Question: Do you think the noncustodial parent should end up in jail for not paying to support their children?

Options:

yes

no

It should be determined on a case by case situation

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 487

View Results

So I have this "friend" on facebook. I used to work with her years ago and haven't seen her in 6 plus years. Her husband just got sent to jail for 6 months due to not paying child support. She commented about how it was not fair that he is being taken from his family and how is he supposed to pay it if he is in jail, blah blah blah! I have seen this on here before too. I am on the other side of this where I am the custodial parent and my 2 dd's bio-dad likes to pretend they don't exist. He hasn't paid anything in well over 1 1/2 years and nothing is happening as far as I know. So my question is....

Should they end up in jail? If not how do you think it should be enforced?

ETA: I wanted to add this because someone came up with this idea and honestly I do not know why it would not be an option in child support issues. House arrest and limited license....meaning they can only leave the house and drive for work. Then the ncp does not lose their jobs, do not lose contact with their children(if they have it). I really like this idea and would much rather my ex do this than be put in jail where he would have no option of paying it. Now if only the lawmakers would read cafemom! ;)

by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Replies (41-50):
hautemama83
by Nichole on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:12 PM
Its actually around 11%, I wouldn't call that common. 7% if you exclude women.

And no they don't.

Quoting butterflies798:

Quoting hautemama83:

Those cases are few and far between. They're not the majority.

Do cp's go to jail if they don't support their children?

Quoting butterflies798:

So the the noncustodial parent can jump from job to job or get a job paying "under the table"? Never paying to help support their child that they created?

Quoting hautemama83:

No. I don't think enforcement should go farther than wage garnishment.

I think its more common than you think. And no cp's do not....they get something far worse, their children taken away!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybecky
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:12 PM
How will he pay child support from jail? My ex is always behind. He is over $5000 right now. I'm all for scaring them. I feel that putting them in jail does more harm than good.

They can't work from jail. They will likely lose current employment while in jail. Not to mention how it affects the child(children).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:12 PM
Not always

Quoting hautemama83:

If a cp can't provide for their kids, they get welfare not jail.

Quoting Fields456:

If a cp doesn't provide for Thier kids that would be neglect And they could lose their kids or go to jail for that. Why should a ncp not helping support Thier kids be any different

Quoting hautemama83:

Quoting butterflies798:

So the the noncustodial parent can jump from job to job or get a job paying "under the table"? Never paying to help support their child that they created?

Quoting hautemama83:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nkkk07
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:12 PM
In my case yup! He has money for heroin, cars and trips to NY but can't pay CS?? Just waiting to go back to court...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
art.diva
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this
To drive to work.

Quoting butterflies798:

Illinois and Missouri takes away drivers license too. To drive is a privilege. If they can't take care of their responsiblities why should they get to use the privileges everyone else does....didn't we learn this in elementary?

Quoting art.diva:

That's stupid. Forbidding a drivers license is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Quoting longhorngal:

In Texas, or in my county, you still have to pay CS if you don't have a job.  They figure it based on minimum wage if that's the case.  It just racks up.  If you are delinquent, you can't get a driver's license, marriage license, fishing license, etc. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2KoolMama
5 moms liked this

They don't just throw you in jail without giving you numberous chances to pay or make arrangements.  I go thru this about once a year.   They issue a contempt order on my ex for non-payment.  He goes to court and says he's unemployed and cannot work due to an injury.  They postpone the court date 3 months and order him to supply proof of his injury and the doctors orders.  They also require him to apply for disability.  Since that's all a lie he show back up in court but this time he says he's got a job offer in the near future.  So they set up an arrangement on how much he thinks he can pay toward the arrears and post pone another 3 months.   Then he usually skips that court date becasue he still doesn't have a job and he knows the judge will throw him in jail.  Then they issue him notice that he has 3 months to come up with X amount of dollars or he will go to jail for 30 days.   He usually pays up at this time.   

My point is they don't just come and pick you up.  YOu have many chances to go before the judge and make arrangements before it comes to that.  Sometimes Jail is the only thing that will motivate a dead beat! 

hp2011

While you pay for THEIR living via taxes.

Quoting art.diva:

And they'll be eating free meals and have access to a bed every night.

Quoting hp2011:

Absolutely, but you aren't going to get money at ALL if they're in jail.

Quoting butterflies798:

How do you think it should be handled? Did you see that some of these women are owed 10's of thousands of dollars?

Quoting hp2011:

No. I don't think it should be punishable by jail.

I am a mother since May 1st of 2008 to Isaiah

And since January 4th, 2012 to Kelly

And a SAHM since October of 2011

kim8934

if you can do it, have your support withdrawn from his paycheck, that's what I had to do.  Oh, and he was really pissed about it.

hautemama83
by Nichole on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:13 PM
11% is common to you?

Quoting ermka:

Few and far between? I personally know at least 5 people who are dealing with this.

My ex "can't" pay his child support, but can magically pay for up-keep and all costs surrounding his damn race car..

Its more common than you might think

Quoting hautemama83:

Quoting butterflies798:

Quoting hautemama83:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
longhorngal

That's another thing.  If a CP gets welfare, the state can go after the deadbeat NCP to pay that back to the state.

Quoting hautemama83:

If a cp can't provide for their kids, they get welfare not jail.

Quoting Fields456:

If a cp doesn't provide for Thier kids that would be neglect And they could lose their kids or go to jail for that. Why should a ncp not helping support Thier kids be any different

Quoting hautemama83:

Quoting butterflies798:

Quoting hautemama83:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)