Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is this normal 'puppy' behavior?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:39 AM
  • 43 Replies

A few weeks ago, DH brought home a puppy. She was an instant hit with the girls, but for me on the other hand...its been iffy...I'm not really a dog person, and I don't mind pets at all...just as long as its not JUST me cleaning up after her and taking care of her...There have been a few things that made me a bit worried about the puppy from the get go, snipping at the kids, growling and taking their food away...I guess those are 'normal' behaviors though...I have been trying to work with the kids as well to make them understand that they shouldn't do certain things around the puppy or to her because it might be troublesome...however DH is contradicting everything I have been teaching the kids and the puppy...the other day, really did it for me though...she bit my two year old when she was eating her snack...not on the hand but on her face...now her lip is cut open and she has a huge gash below her eye...then shortly after that, the puppy ran up on my oldest two daughters (these were separate occurences) and bit them on the neck. Kids were just sitting down playing a game on the floor when it happened...I'm really nervous to leave them alone with the dog and I don't know how to deal with this...I am due to have another baby in June and this puppy is really making me nervous now...

by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krise
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:47 AM

what sort of dog is this... yes I would have issues with that. A little nibble isn't a problem, it's just wanting to play. When it draws blood, there is a problem.

kustomkidz
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:48 AM
No that's not normal puppy behavior. Sounds like the dog has issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrinceMomma486
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:49 AM

She's a husky/lab mix...I have heard good things about labs which is why I wasn't that difficult about him wanting to keep her as a family dog...but the biting is getting me super worried.

Quoting krise:

what sort of dog is this... yes I would have issues with that. A little nibble isn't a problem, it's just wanting to play. When it draws blood, there is a problem.

Young_Mommy89
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:49 AM
If its a lab they're really..."mouthy" so it can be "normal" but it should quickly be addressed & corrected. The dog needs to be taught no biting, no growling at you, dh, or kids. Even playful biting is NOT ok it needs to be corrected
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM

First off, what breed of dog is this and how old is this puppy?

Young_Mommy89
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM
I've been bitten by quite a few labs. And I believe huskies are on the bite list but like I said you HAVE to train them & correct their behavior or it will get worse (like the labs I encountered)

Quoting PrinceMomma486:

She's a husky/lab mix...I have heard good things about labs which is why I wasn't that difficult about him wanting to keep her as a family dog...but the biting is getting me super worried.

Quoting krise:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krise
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Don't want to freak you out, but I had a husky when I was a preteen. it attacked me. I still have a small scar on my wrist because of it. I'm sure that's not how that whole breed is, but I wont have another because of it.

Quoting PrinceMomma486:

Quoting krise:

Lauriemom
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Did you post about this puppy before?? It sounds like things have gotten worse  :-(

I love love love dogs, but would NOT tolorate that type of unsafe behavior. Get it trained by a professional, or get tips on how to train it yourself.  GL

Laurie

Mamacruz13
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM

How old is the puppy? It sounds like she needs some major training and by a professional. I would find an obedience class asap and put her in it. Behavior like that going unchecked make for a very dangerous situation in the future.

mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Um.... me personally i would get rid of the puppy if it's being aggressive that's a deal breaker for me PERIOD,Esp. with kids and your having another child, No way would i keep the puppy unless you can stop the behavior

Goodluck with whatever you choose!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN