Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I've been looking to buy a house for the past year. I finally found my dream home with everything I could ever need or want and more. Everything is perfect except when I looked up the sex offender registry, I found out there is a registered sex offender that lives right across the street from my dream home. He is a truck driver and appears to only come home on the weekends. Now I'm wondering if I should get the house or not. When I drive through the neighborhood, I see alot of kids playing outside and its a great school zone, but this really bothers me. What do you think?

by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
smtxcowgirl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this
A 15 year old girl has been forced to register because she was sexting. Point is, he could be on there for anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterflyflower
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I dont know how long he's been there. Maybe he will move one day.

Quoting Susan262:

We have always lived our lives like there are sex offenders next door.  So we would be allowing our child to do or not to do whatever it is the same if there was one there or not.    Do you know how long he has lived there?  Sometimes sex offenders tend to move often.

stockuponlove
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:35 AM
I've never been on those websites that show the sex offenders whereabouts. Personally I do not believe I need to know where they live. It's not about being a concerned parent or not. It's just about judgement and being a watchful parent. I believe you should get the house. Your gonna kick yourself in the ass if you dont and find out the guy moved a month later. Even more so if you choose a different house an sex offender moves in next door. You can't control everything. But you can control how you parent. I think it and YOU will be fine!

Quoting butterflyflower:

I dont think its ridiculous to be a concerned parent. The lists are there for a reason and it does give some information of what he did. I realize there are predators everywhere, but the lists are there to help. I'm just looking for other opinions.

Quoting stockuponlove:

This is ridiculous! You don't know why exactly he is on that list. Get the house and watch your child. There are sex offenders and predators everywhere that aren't always gonna pop up on your list.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterflyflower
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:35 AM

The list does give an idea of what he did. He's in his 50s and it says lewd act on minor/assault and battery of high and aggravated nature

Quoting diegosmom828:

I say you get it. You don't know why he is a sex offender

luzianagurl
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:36 AM

just look it up and see if you can find out what he did maybe it's something we aren't thinking whatever that may be...eeew creepy..i'd be the same way, i mean a constant reminder when you open your front door...no thanks

butterflyflower
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:38 AM

I hope so

Quoting stockuponlove:

I've never been on those websites that show the sex offenders whereabouts. Personally I do not believe I need to know where they live. It's not about being a concerned parent or not. It's just about judgement and being a watchful parent. I believe you should get the house. Your gonna kick yourself in the ass if you dont and find out the guy moved a month later. Even more so if you choose a different house an sex offender moves in next door. You can't control everything. But you can control how you parent. I think it and YOU will be fine!

Quoting butterflyflower:

I dont think its ridiculous to be a concerned parent. The lists are there for a reason and it does give some information of what he did. I realize there are predators everywhere, but the lists are there to help. I'm just looking for other opinions.

Quoting stockuponlove:

This is ridiculous! You don't know why exactly he is on that list. Get the house and watch your child. There are sex offenders and predators everywhere that aren't always gonna pop up on your list.

LexRi0709
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Since you have that info, I would call the sheriff dept and ask them what the shorthand means. You have the legal right to know what he is on the registry for. Btw lewd acts can be as stupid as he peed in a public place.

Quoting butterflyflower:

The list does give an idea of what he did. He's in his 50s and it says lewd act on minor/assault and battery of high and aggravated nature

Quoting diegosmom828:

I say you get it. You don't know why he is a sex offender

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GomezMami2908
2 moms liked this

1- You don't know why he is a sex offender

2- Registered offenders are EVERYWHERE

3- It's the UNREGISTERED ones you should be worried about

smurfbitebug
I agree with this.

And if you don't know what he's on the list for, Google.

Quoting skymama10:

I think if you watch your kids you should be fine. Although if you're so uncomfortable you won't let them go outside I don't think its a good idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Get the house! No matter if you find another with no sex offenders in close proximity you can't control who might move in after you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN