Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What.Thee.EFF?!!?!?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:34 PM
  • 11 Replies

Schools in New York City are no longer allowed to use the words dinosaurs, birthdays, dancing or Halloween on city-issued tests because the words "could evoke unpleasant emotions in students."

The words terrorism and slavery are also deemed too scary, the New York Post reported Monday.

Also banned are any references to diseases or divorces, because students may have an ill friend or relative, or family members who have separated.

"This is standard language that has been used by test publishers for many years and allows our students to complete practice exams without distraction," a department of education spokeswoman told the newspaper.

She insisted it's not censorship, but rather sensitivity guidelines.
The forbidden words and topics were recently part of a request for proposals by the school board to revamp city-wide testing.

"Some of these topics may be perfectly acceptable in other contexts but do not belong in a city- or state-wide assessment," the request read.
Words about wealth are banned because they could make students jealous, while poverty is also not allowed.

"The intent is to avoid giving offence or disadvantage any test takers by privileging prior knowledge," Robert Pondiscio, a spokesman for the education group Core Knowledge Foundation, told the newspaper. "But the irony is they're eliminating some subjects, like junk food, holidays and popular music, that the broadest number of kids are likely to know quite a lot about."

---------------------------------
TL: DR In New York they're taking words out of tests that's could evoke an unpleasant response or give some children an upper hand. These words include;

Dinosaur
Divorce
Birthday
Poverty
Wealth
Junk foods
Holidays
Popular Music artists/songs
Terrorism
Slavery
Diseases
Dancing

Please tell me this isn't true, I need to cling to some kind of faith that we are not raising a generation of wimps...

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Beloved.
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:34 PM

BUMP!

thatgirl70
by Carin on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM

No, I think it's more like that adults have gotten stupid.

I hope it's not true either.

.Beloved.
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Seriously? That is the dumbest thing I have heard..... They need to worry about more important issues with education than sensitivity to common words that relate to history, life, or anything like that.

hellokitty2012
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:36 PM

wow. schools are getting ridiculous.

brittany21921
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:39 PM

My little Johnny didn't study for the test and failed, so I called up the school and he got to retake a seperate special test because it had the word "dinosaur" and ever since last year he has been scared of them...

Yeah sounds right, bullshit excuses. And these kids are our future, smdh!

Marilynxomonroe
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:39 PM
Then they shouldn't teach president names, wars, health class computers, love, freedom, fire, food, etc all these things could be sensitive to some technicaly! That is stupid
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:41 PM
Gone to far
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:44 PM
These words have been removed from standardized tests, not classroom instruction. I'd have to wonder what the hell kind of third grade standardized test uses terrorism in reading comprehension or math word problems :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobinBright
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Yep, another shining example of militant political correctness gone wrong.....  gotta even the playing field!  It isn't "fair" to use the word dinosaur on an exam, because a creationist child might not understand.  It isn't fair to talk about birthdays, because an underprivileged kid who doesn't have birthday parties might get upset.

Jesus Christ.  What IS ok to talk about?

RobinBright
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I also had 8th grade state wide reading tests in New York.  Something like terrorism could easily come up-- the topics were usually related to history or current events. 

Quoting quickbooksworm:

These words have been removed from standardized tests, not classroom instruction. I'd have to wonder what the hell kind of third grade standardized test uses terrorism in reading comprehension or math word problems :)

Keep an open mind--
but not so open that your brain falls out. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)