Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

When step parents say

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM
  • 167 Replies

Poll

Question: Mostly I think ______________

Options:

No they don't feel exactly the same

I believe they do

something else

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 238

View Results

Do you believe step parents when they say that they feel exactly the same about their step kids compared to their biological children?

“you know you’ve created God in your own image when God hates all the same people that you do”

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rain2Rinse
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
It is hard for me to believe. Maybe that is because I know that I would not feel that way. I wouldn't feel anything close to that. But, adoptive parents love those babies like they would a child they gave birth to... so maybe it is possible?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tatum2U
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM

bump

i_lovedyoufirst
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM
I'm sorry. I'll be honest, a parent can say they love their child as if they were their own but we all know if it comes down to it,we would pick our actual child before the step child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
graciesmom6206
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:06 PM
2 moms liked this
I have to agree with this. I personally won't date a guy with a kid because I know in my heart I will never love that child as much as my own and I will always take my daughters side and choose her.

Quoting i_lovedyoufirst:

I'm sorry. I'll be honest, a parent can say they love their child as if they were their own but we all know if it comes down to it,we would pick our actual child before the step child.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifehappy
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Not from my own experience!

Lillymygirl
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I have been a step mom and although i loved my step children very much and still am very close to them , it's not the same .

Maybe if I had raised them from infants and the biological mother was completely out of the picture , I don't know. 

kansasmom1978
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I am a stepmom.  I love my stepson, but the love is different from my ds and dd. I don't know why. It just is.

Erna2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I believe my dh does. He has raised my oldest 3 since they were 12 yrs, 8 years and 3 years. (They are now 23, 19 and 15 years) We had our own two dds 8 and 6 yrs ago. Whenever he talks about the kids to anyone, and they ask, he ALWAYS says that he has 4 daughters and a son. He has never told anyone that he is a step father. Only that he is a father of 5 kids.

incogneat-o
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM
2 moms liked this
I believe it is possible to love them the same, but I believe the bonds with your step kids and that with your own are very different.
melissa632
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Mostly, no. I think they WANT to, but it really isn't the same. I'm a step parent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)