Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

i am doing a paper/ speech on extended rear facing.  please  be honest   and try and be courteous of others parenting choices ...as i am using this for research in a college class... why  do you or don't you  extended rear face your child? please don't just say because i don't  want to. please explain to me why  you do  or do not and what reasons made you come to this decision for your child/ children.

Again this if for research  for my paper  i dont care what  you do with your child i just need to know why  people make those choices and there isnt much inormation on it  that ive found.

no judgment and no bashing!!!!  and please keep this bumped !!!!!!!!

thanks ladies  blowing kisses

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Replies (81-90):
Salsacookies
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I turned DD when she was 1 and over 20lbs. She's always been a tall girl. Right now, she's taller than my friend's son who is almost 4 years old. To keep her RFing would be very uncomfortable for her and would probably give her legs cramps because her legs are so long. She didn't like being rear faced and would throw screaming fits until we finally turned her around. i think that is more unsafe than her being faced forward. With her not screaming anymore, I can invest my full attention to the road and be aware of what others are doing.

comf
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

youre not making sense.

Quoting billsfan1104:

Its the type of car seats you get, and the many different car seats. You might get many, but there are mothers out there who get cars seats every other month, it seems.

Quoting RobinBright:

But *how?*  How does a car seat manufacturer make more money if I turned my son FF at 2.5 instead of at 1?  I bought the seat from them 3 years ago.  The day I chose to turn it doesn't suddenly earn them more money.  

Quoting billsfan1104:

Its a money making scheme for the car seat manufacturers. Thats just an opinion. I personally the give all these recomendations to scare the shit out of parents.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting billsfan1104:

And BTW, i never heard of ERF until cafemom, still think that it is a money making scheme, but too each its own.

I love this excuse.  How does it make anyone any money as to which way the convertible is facing in your car?  Do you get taxed if its rear facing????  LMAO

billsfan1104
My sister tried, but even in her big ass truck, the RF car seats didnt fit properly in the back seat. She had three of them too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starry_dreamer
We have a RF 5 point harness. It then ff up to 60 pounds...

Quoting billsfan1104:

I didnt say it because of how ita positioned. Its because of the many different cars seats you need to buy, such as a RF one, then FF one, five point harness, then booster. Etcetc.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

QuotAGAIN the question is please explain how they make anymore money on how your seat is postioned in the car.  whether its RF or FF you still bought the seat and it costs no more to keep it RF. ing billsfan1104:

Its a money making scheme for the car seat manufacturers. Thats just an opinion. I personally the give all these recomendations to scare the shit out of parents.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting billsfan1104:

And BTW, i never heard of ERF until cafemom, still think that it is a money making scheme, but too each its own.

I love this excuse.  How does it make anyone any money as to which way the convertible is facing in your car?  Do you get taxed if its rear facing????  LMAO

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaNdYbEaR2010
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

:(

Quoting happymommy1105:

i turned my son forward at a year cause he got car sick and i couldnt' stand the screaming bloody murder from the backseat.  

haven't had a problem since turning him forward.  

this baby i plan on turning forward at 1 too.

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Most RF seats are also FF seats (convertible) and most of them can be used from birth. A good convertible seat can last until your child is 6 whether you erf or not.

Quoting billsfan1104:

I didnt say it because of how ita positioned. Its because of the many different cars seats you need to buy, such as a RF one, then FF one, five point harness, then booster. Etcetc.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

QuotAGAIN the question is please explain how they make anymore money on how your seat is postioned in the car.  whether its RF or FF you still bought the seat and it costs no more to keep it RF. ing billsfan1104:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting billsfan1104:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JLo1486
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM
The way I see it, it really doesn't matter either way. ERF or FF, there is no fool proof way. What happens when your kids is ERF and there knees collide with their face in a collision? It does not prevent injury, only possible internal decapitation. Which could also happen depending on how your child has positioned himself in his seat at the time of the crash.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Well your wrong.  You really only need 2 seats period IF you are smart and take a moment to actually educate yourself instead of wasting all your time arguing false arguments.  My DD who is extremely tall had her convertible until almost 3.  Now she has a Frontier 85 SICT.  because her seat has the highest harness heith and highest weight rating she will never need another seat.  2 seats.  1 convertible and one FF to belt positioning booster seat thats its.  and she is crazy tall so normal size children could spend even less. 2 seats THATS IT

Quoting billsfan1104:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting billsfan1104:

RobinBright
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM
3 moms liked this

So... that's not a money making scheme, it's poor consumer awareness.  Quite the contrary, manufacturers are making it EASIER to use one seat from birth to FF by constantly coming out with lower slots and extra padding for newbies (to make them fit larger seats), and higher top slots and higher weight limits (to allow kids to stay RF longer).  They aren't making it harder to RF on a budget, they're making it easier. 

The mothers who are buying a new seat every other month are doing so because they havent done their research.  If a kid just outgrew a seat with 14.75" top slots, and mom replaces it with a seat that has 16" top slots, then needs another seat to get the kid to booster age, that's not a money making scheme--- that's a failure to research the product you're buying.  Should have bought the one with 18" slots to begin with.  

Quoting billsfan1104:

Its the type of car seats you get, and the many different car seats. You might get many, but there are mothers out there who get cars seats every other month, it seems.

Quoting RobinBright:

But *how?*  How does a car seat manufacturer make more money if I turned my son FF at 2.5 instead of at 1?  I bought the seat from them 3 years ago.  The day I chose to turn it doesn't suddenly earn them more money.  

Quoting billsfan1104:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting billsfan1104:

Keep an open mind--
but not so open that your brain falls out. 

pamelam20
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM
I did until my daughter reached 40lbs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)