Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why? B/c the dr said so? Who cares?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM
  • 63 Replies
Do you always finish your antibiotics? Why is it so important you finish them if you feel better?

I'm jw what others think or do. Although I didn't finish my last antibiotic cuz I forgot and I paid for it. Now I have to take 4,000mg of amoxicillin a day for 10 days. The pills are freaking HUGE!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tlc576
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM
4 moms liked this

Just because you start to feel better does not mean that the infection is fully gone. I just had surgery and had 2 days of IV antibiotics and 7 days of pills. I finished every single one otherwise it could have wound up being life of death if I let an infection start in. I am not willing to mess with my health.

WhenInRome
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM
I do. It's very important to finish antibiotics to help prevent that specific strain from becoming resistant. The antibiotics kill the bacteria and keep it from reproducing. If you don't kill all the bacteria and get sick again, the antibiotics may not work because the strain has figured out the medicines receptors.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opal10161973
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM

People not finishing their antibiotics is the reason why superinfections have become so prevalent.  If you don't like superinfections, finish your antibiotics please.

GirlWSlingshot
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM
A friend of mine died because he didn't think he needed to finish his antibiotics after something minor. 26 years old and he dropped dead after the minor skin infection spread to his heart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM
I thought superbugs were created because everyone gets antibiotics for every little sniffle

Quoting opal10161973:

People not finishing their antibiotics is the reason why superinfections have become so prevalent.  If you don't like superinfections, finish your antibiotics please.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LittleBirdFly
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM

You feel better, but that does not mean that the bacteria that causes you to get sick is all gone. You feel better cause most of it is gone. But if you just stop now they will get resisten to this medication and get even stronger. So you have to finish it to make sure they all gone

Mipsy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM
Oh my goodness, how sad

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

A friend of mine died because he didn't think he needed to finish his antibiotics after something minor. 26 years old and he dropped dead after the minor skin infection spread to his heart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowLark
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
That too. But honestly, it's both.

Quoting Mipsy:

I thought superbugs were created because everyone gets antibiotics for every little sniffle

Quoting opal10161973:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely.We don't take antibiotics often,or for just anything,but when we do we finish the full course.

Quoting tlc576:

Just because you start to feel better does not mean that the infection is fully gone. I just had surgery and had 2 days of IV antibiotics and 7 days of pills. I finished every single one otherwise it could have wound up being life of death if I let an infection start in. I am not willing to mess with my health.

mrinewfe21
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM
I took all my antibiotics for when i had shingles
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)