Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My dog survived a pit bull attack...like a BOSS *graphic pic*small update & again

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:29 PM
  • 89 Replies
1 mom liked this

Let me preface this with this statement - lol before it gets all out of control and people make assumptions. 

I don't think pitbulls are "evil". I don't think they should be a banned breed. I also will not disillusion myself that they are not physically capable of doing a hell of alot more damage than most other dogs, and that they do have different psychological make ups innately than many other dogs. I don't think they are automatically more dangerous, but I do believe they they have a lot more potential to do serious harm than most. 

Sorry this is a little long, I just want to try to answer questions that might come up. 

My IL's live in the unincorporated part of a small poor town. Basically, they live in the woods and they have to be 'owned' by some city entity. They are not really part of the town. They are in a small residential area that contain 5 acre lots. They have an HOA (if you can call it that) that exists solely to fill the holes in the dirt road and to prevent the homeowners from subdividing their land. Beyond that, it's a total mixed bag of anything from trailers, small cottages, to log homes, like my ILs. There are wild animals, even boars. A lot of people 'have' dogs, and I use the term loosely, because they are allowed to basically run feral, they receive no veterinary care or sterilization, and the owners rarely will even claim the dogs belong to them. The area has also become a dumping ground for unwanted dogs who either fall into the packs, or get killed. There ARE NO ANIMAL CONTROL services in the area. It's the police, or your sidearm. 

My MIL is an animal lover - to a fault. She has even adopted one of the dumped dogs, and has over the years fed and provided for several of the dogs that really belong to the neighbor across the street. She feels sorry for them and feeds them and they end up spending a lot more time on our (what's theirs is ours, it's just easier this way) property than on their owner's. Usually these animals are accustomed to my dog, Ash, who visits often, and after some initial pissing contests and a little growling, they fall in together like old pals. But lately she's taken to feeding the neighbor's pit bull. He did have them chained up inside the fence - which is a travesty on it's own (don't get me started). He has 2, Dixie and Sasha. They stayed on a chain, and I mean a big ass heavy chain, 24/7. Sasha, for whatever reason I don't know, he let off the chain and she found her way out of the yard. Dixie is still chained up, even though she's taken to jumping over the fence, while still chained, and I find it a wonder she hasn't strangled herself. So a while back Sasha was trying to attack the other neighbor's horses, she went over there and told her owner she was going to shoot her if it happened again and he rechained her, but I guess maybe the last month he let her back off. Turns out MIL has been feeding Sasha (bless her heart) even though FIL asked her not to. So now she thinks our place is hers. So there's the back ground lol. 

So we showed up Friday for the Easter weekend, and I saw Sasha in the yard. She came to greet us, and was friendly. We all petted her and talked to her etc and she was fine. Then when we got Ash out, they started barking at each other. We put Ash inside the fenced area in front of the house, and they started running the fence, and she was trying to bite him through the fence. Ash is quite protective, and was giving as good as he was getting, although we were trying to get them to stop. I walked after her, telling her to stop, and unlike any other dog I've experienced, she completely ignored me. Not even a hesitation, it was like I wasn't there. All the other loose dogs in the neighborhood will stop all their shit when you tell them no. She didn't act aggressively to me, she just didn't give a shit what I was saying. That got my attn. So she's hanging around, and every time we let the dogs out to pee, it was the same shit every time with her. I can't even take my dog for a walk! So finally on Sat., I leashed her up and put her back in her yard. I thought she'd at least stay for a while, like the owner was at least trying to cover her holes. So I put her back, and leashed up my Ash, and IL's black lab mix Pepper, and we walked around our property for a while.

Sasha lives right across the street, and the other neighbor is the end of the road, so it's right between. We walked down his drive a little bit bc it's pretty over there (no worries we have permission to go on their property when they aren't there) but decided to head back since there could be boar and I didn't have my pistol, let alone a hand to pull it anyway with both dogs. So we are a few steps from our driveway and I see she's not in her yard, we keep scooting and here she pops up over the rise in the road. I kept trying to get us down our driveway, the whole time telling her no, go home, etc.  She completely ignores me again. She made a bee line for us. I was like oh shit, and kept trying to move and telling her no - but she came up and started barking at Ash. Pepper tried to get between them, but Sasha bit at him and went around and attacked my Ash. oh shit. oh shit. 8 yo DD is freaking out. I am pulling them along down the drive (it's wooded and curved and about 100 feet from the house yet) and screaming no and calling for dh and dd is back out on the road screaming. I clonked Sasha on the head with Pepper's retractable leash and kicked her twice to no avail. Meanwhile, she's managed to clamp onto Ash's neck. oh shit oh shit. My dog - he's fucking chewing her face off. There is blood everywhere. FINALLY my dh heard me and came running down the driveway and kicked her in the ribs full force. That's the only thing we could do to get her to let go. She ran off....right towards my baby girl. oh shit oh shit. Lance ran after her yelling and she took off and he grabbed up dd. 

So got I got Ash in the house, I was sure he was fucked up. The whole side of his head was soaked, I was sure it was blood. I started cleaning him up, it was mostly slobber. He had on his training collar,  the metal one with the prongs. I think it saved him bc there was only 1 puncture in his neck, still not sure if it was a tooth or if she forced one of the prongs in with pure biting pressure. She came back to the house on the porch and her face is all cut up. I think Ash took out one of her eyes. He def cut it open, it was all bloody. It certainly wasn't an advantage this time to do the pit bull lockdown bc while she was busy biting down on his collar, he was biting the shit out of her face. 

Poor guy. We've been keeping it cleaned and ointmented up, and he's going in to the vet's first thing Monday morning. But it's oozing and bleeding slowly but steadily. I'd bet my bottom dollar Sasha's owner doesn't even clean her up, let alone get her medical care. My MIL called him and told him what happened, to come get his dog off our property, and to keep her chained up. MIL felt so horrible and blamed herself for feeding her and encouraging her to come around. We've all been trying to get her to stop doing this, bc these dogs are 1 step away from wild and you just don't know when they will snap. Neighbor only has Sasha because she was his father's dog and he was abusing her. I'm not sure chaining her up in a yard and then ignoring her is much of an improvement.

MIL says she will stop now, and I believe her bc she bawled and bawled over Ash after it happened. I only wish I had put on my sidearm or at least my pepper spray so I could have put a stop to it before my pup got hurt. I will put her down if I see her out again, I can tell you that. 

Here's his war wound - I'll post tomm after the vet too. I think he'll need a stitch or two, bc it's a pretty deep puncture. IT's fairly swollen around it now too. 

Here he is so you can see what he looks like.

here he and Pepper are playing lol 

***update Monday 11 am*** He's at the vet. They are going to have to sedate him and shave him so they can irrigate and treat the wound. he had a fair amount of edema around the wound and on the corresponding spot where her bottom teeth would have been under his throat so they need to put in a drainage tube. Hopefully we'll be able to pick him up this afternoon. Not looking forward to this vet bill. 

**update Tuesday*** I posted in the post yesterday but it was mobile and I couldn't put it up here, which I think is easier for you guys (aint I nice lol). Got ash home from the vet last night. They had to put a drainage tube in. Apparantly she was squeezing and yanking and it pulled the skin away from the muscle structure beneath, creating a rather large abcess. Doc said that with that one puncture woumd, if left alone, it would have closed up and trapped all that fluid in there and in a matter of days it would be huge and infected. Vt was $300...ugh. But if we couldn't afford it, we wouldn't have a pet. It just sucks. He's bruised all the way around his neck, black and blue. He'll go back Friday to get the tube out and next week for the sutures. He's pretty miserable now, the tube is annoying and he's still quite sore. Here are his pictures - somewhat graphic but not horrid. 

so pitiful. 

Without ME there would be no awesome!

by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

wow - that's long - sorry guys ty if you read the whole thing. 

snowmommy0406
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Hope your dog heals quickly
MatisMommy
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Sorry :( I scrolled to pictures after reading some. I'm sleepy and have pitbull that is the biggest wuss EVER!!

Quoting teri4lance:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Smcclellan7080
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:36 PM

My heart goes out to your pup. Really to everyone for having to put up with all that.

AlwaysKISA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Aw I hope your doggy is ok!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I wasn't going to read the whole thing, but then you had to be so darn polite...

lol.

lovely dog, though.  A real champ

Quoting teri4lance:

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I wasn't going to read the whole thing, but then you had to be so darn polite...

lol.

lovely dog, though.  A real champ

Quoting teri4lance:

lol ty...I was shaking by the time I got to the end. Isn't that crazy?

roxy27
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Awww poor baby :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrz.Anaya
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Ooh wow so glad that it didn't go after your daughter!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Quoting Mrz.Anaya:

Ooh wow so glad that it didn't go after your daughter!

me too! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)