Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

PIOG. Questions Regarding K-12 program

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM
  • 5 Replies

Have any of you participated in the K-12 home school/charter program for your kids' school curriculum? 

I keep seeing advertisements about it on TV and looked into it online.  

My son, age 12, will be entering 7th grade next year.  He's a bright kid, who was on the honor roll last year but due to personality conflicts with other kids and a couple teachers, he has a lax attitude about school.  However he excels with computers and the like.  I am looking for alternatives. 

The trick will be getting our school up here to go for it.  Earlier in the year there was a bullying situation going on that they would not do anything about and I threatened to pull my son and home school him if something was not done. 

They also have this weird rule that they have to give permission for a child to attend any kind of school outside the school district of residence, but I think this is stupid and tromps on my son's rights.

I went through this with my oldest son, when I put him in a school outside our district and the DA was threatenting me with arrest for violating truancy laws even though he was in school. CPS also investigated me for "failing to provide proper educational adjustments" for this one.  CPS told me I CAN NOT and WILL NOT home school my youngest son or there would be trouble.  Personally I think they're just being a-holes. There's no rhyme or reason for this as I am an intelligent person with a high school diploma and I'm perfectly capable of educating my youngest child myself.  They cannot stop me regardless of their empty threats regarding "educational neglect" (it's not true neglect, just in the school's eyes it is because he's not going THERE.)  because I want my child to be educated in a non-hostile enviromnent and I seriously think the school we have here is a hostile environment. 

I have a right to educate my children any way I see fit and even our state senator at the time said they had no right to come down on me like that but they still forced their hand, CPS got involved anyway and more or less forced me to put my son back into our nasty, ineffective school district. I don't want to see similar things happen to my youngest. 

But if my younger son is struggling, I definitely don't want to put him through a bunch of crap.  

I do want to try the K12 program for my son next year but want input from other parents about it before I commit to it or not.

Did your children like it? Did they do well at it?  

We have one free one here in the state and a couple others who are tuition based...who use the K12 program.  I just need to know all the risks and benefits.  Thanks in advance.  

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I have no clue. We have a few online schools for our state and an homeschooling co-op for our district.  So far dd is doing good in the public school so wont worry about anything else for now.

CheyanneW
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 4:49 PM
My 9 year old uses K12 and my 16 yr old is enrolled to start next year. We really love it. There is a k12 group on here that you should check out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schleetle
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM
We did. It was okay. I no longer do it. If I were to homeschool again I'm not sure I'd go with k-12, but it's different in all areas so I'd try to get opinions more from state, and even better county you are in if possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM

The state or CPS cannot tell you where your kids go to school.  Or if you choose to home school.  Yes if you home school.  You have to  send the state regular progress your child is doing ok in school They have state tests to keep tabs on home school kids. 

JaydeesLaydee
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I know they can't they're just being asswipes who try to act like big bad bullies who abuse their power all the time.  They nailed me once before when I pulled my oldest son and now they're warning me about the youngest because he's having problems in school.  

I think if I get any money ahead over the summer I'm seriously thinking of getting out of this town entirely. 

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

The state or CPS cannot tell you where your kids go to school.  Or if you choose to home school.  Yes if you home school.  You have to  send the state regular progress your child is doing ok in school They have state tests to keep tabs on home school kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN