Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

A tragedy happened today *pic of fire*...but I just got the most incredible phone call. There truly are generous, selfless people out there!!!!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Early this afternoon I learned that a friend's home had been devastated by a fire.  Most importantly, the family was SAFE.  Thank God for that.  B was home when the smoke alarm went off and she called 911 immediately.  But despite a quick response by several fire departments the house is nothing but a charred skeleton.  Everything in it was destroyed and one of their pets is unaccounted for.  Their car was in the driveway and was destroyed.  On top of this, their 10-yr-old daughter broke her leg last week.  Her entire life is dance (her mom owns the studio where DD dances) so her injury was so crushing to her.  And now this....

Several members of our studio posted on FB asking for clothing donations since the family literally has the clothes on their back and nothing else.  A friend of mine saw some of the posts.  I have known him for years but we only see each other a few times per year.  He just called me to say that he has arranged a benefit for the family!  He is a DJ at a local pub and all cover fees and a percentage of ALL revenue that night will go to B!  He also asked for a list of items they need and is already in the process of getting donations of clothes, food, toiletries, etc.  He has NEVER met or spoken to B or her family.  He is an angel!  I cried when he called to tell me what he had planned.

It is amazing how people band together to help complete strangers!  What a beautiful outpouring of love for this family!

I know that the donations and support will lift B and family up, but losing everything still takes a huge emotional toll.  Fortunately they have insurance to rebuild and replace belongings, but pictures and sentimental items cannot be replaced :(

Please pray for them as they go through this process.  And look around at a family photo, a child's painting, a trophy, and thank God for EVERY little blessing in your life.

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Replies (11-20):
i_lovedyoufirst
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Quoting GreenEyePixie:

This.

Sorry your friend lost evrything, but I am glad her and her family are safe.

Quoting seraphimsong:

Your friend sounds like a great guy. I love to hear stories of people coming together to help those in need.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amyrw
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Is the house insured? I only ask bc this exact thing happened to a friend of mine. She had insurance which of course would pay out after they ruled out arson. Someone did a benefit for her with a local band and all the cover charges went to her, plus donations. She was then investigated for fraud bc she had insurance. She's still fighting to clear her name bc she didn't ask for the benefit, someone did it to be generous. But she had to go and spend hours in the police station being questioned and it was all over the news. Now people think she's a fraud trying to cheat people out of money by having a sob story. She was cleared of the charges. And her insurance eventually paid out but the benefit gave her the funds to live off of until the investigation of the fire was over, which took a few weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashley_Carlson
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this

My great-grandfather lost his wife in a house fire. There was literally nothing left. They weren't even able to recover her remains. 

They are very lucky to be alive.

Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:22 AM
I agree that they are VERY lucky. B was downstairs and got out immediately. I fear that had this happened at night when everyone was asleep upstairs, they would not have had time to get out.

I'm sorry about your great grandma :(

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

My great-grandfather lost his wife in a house fire. There was literally nothing left. They weren't even able to recover her remains. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsix
by faith on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Quoting Zpugs:

Fires are always devistating. I am thankful that your friend and the family is safe. I am also in love with the fact that your other friend is putting a benefit on for them!!!! There aren't many people out there who care like that anymore. My thoughts are with everyone involved

hugging

SevysMomma
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM

That is so sad =(
Your friend IS a hero though, God bless him! 

Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this
It is insured, thank God. But obviously there are needs in the interim before insurance cuts them any checks. Clothing, food, vehicle rental, time off work, etc.

Quoting amyrw:

Is the house insured? I only ask bc this exact thing happened to a friend of mine. She had insurance which of course would pay out after they ruled out arson. Someone did a benefit for her with a local band and all the cover charges went to her, plus donations. She was then investigated for fraud bc she had insurance. She's still fighting to clear her name bc she didn't ask for the benefit, someone did it to be generous. But she had to go and spend hours in the police station being questioned and it was all over the news. Now people think she's a fraud trying to cheat people out of money by having a sob story. She was cleared of the charges. And her insurance eventually paid out but the benefit gave her the funds to live off of until the investigation of the fire was over, which took a few weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashley_Carlson
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM

It happend when my grandma was a kid. My great-grandpa got her and her sister out, but the roof collapsed before he could get back in to get his wife. He never really got over it. The only thing he recovered was his late FIL's Sgian-Dubh that had been kept in a metal box.

Quoting Kylie819:

I agree that they are VERY lucky. B was downstairs and got out immediately. I fear that had this happened at night when everyone was asleep upstairs, they would not have had time to get out.

I'm sorry about your great grandma :(

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

grey7399
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Hopefully they had good insurance.

Mrs.Velasquez
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Quoting vanna_k:

I am so sorry for your friend and her family. I couldn't imagine. I will be praying for them!

And I agree, what an angel. This whole story just brings tears to my eyes! Thank God there are a few good people left in the world.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN