Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

A tragedy happened today *pic of fire*...but I just got the most incredible phone call. There truly are generous, selfless people out there!!!!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Early this afternoon I learned that a friend's home had been devastated by a fire.  Most importantly, the family was SAFE.  Thank God for that.  B was home when the smoke alarm went off and she called 911 immediately.  But despite a quick response by several fire departments the house is nothing but a charred skeleton.  Everything in it was destroyed and one of their pets is unaccounted for.  Their car was in the driveway and was destroyed.  On top of this, their 10-yr-old daughter broke her leg last week.  Her entire life is dance (her mom owns the studio where DD dances) so her injury was so crushing to her.  And now this....

Several members of our studio posted on FB asking for clothing donations since the family literally has the clothes on their back and nothing else.  A friend of mine saw some of the posts.  I have known him for years but we only see each other a few times per year.  He just called me to say that he has arranged a benefit for the family!  He is a DJ at a local pub and all cover fees and a percentage of ALL revenue that night will go to B!  He also asked for a list of items they need and is already in the process of getting donations of clothes, food, toiletries, etc.  He has NEVER met or spoken to B or her family.  He is an angel!  I cried when he called to tell me what he had planned.

It is amazing how people band together to help complete strangers!  What a beautiful outpouring of love for this family!

I know that the donations and support will lift B and family up, but losing everything still takes a huge emotional toll.  Fortunately they have insurance to rebuild and replace belongings, but pictures and sentimental items cannot be replaced :(

Please pray for them as they go through this process.  And look around at a family photo, a child's painting, a trophy, and thank God for EVERY little blessing in your life.

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Replies (61-70):
jessi2girls
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:50 AM

That happened to a family around here as well.. it was a friend of mines, friends. They lost their home, but thankfully were all okay.. I believe they  had 4-5 kids? Anyways, I donated a ton of baby stuff to them and clothes for all family members.. my brother was moving to NM so all the clothes he didn't want to pack to take back with him (we live in NY, and he didn't get a u-haul so he took only what would go in the suit cases for clothing since half of it was already down in NM).. so all his clothes he couldnt' pack we donated, some furniture too because of my brothers moving.

The truth is, the family needs it more than us, and I'd rather see these things go to a good home that needs them... and if it were to ever happen to my family and I, I hope friends, family, and the rest of the community would be just as generous for our family.

Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Yeah, there have been a couple articles and a care fund has been set up at a local church.

Quoting suziler:

That is so sad, glad they are all okay. My grandma had been in a house fire when she was a child and she never recovered from it (I lived with her) and every night she went around the house and unplugged every appliance and checked multiple times to make sure they were all unplugged and would always tell me about her house fire as a kid. Have they put the family in the news yet? I know when my cousin got died and left behind his 3 year old son they put up something on the news for him and set up an account at the bank for donations, just an idea, I am sure there are a lot of people who are willing to give a couple dollars here and there which would add up. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM
No, Illinois

Quoting MatisMommy:

Just a question.. did this happen in Florida?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MatisMommy
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM
A house in my old neighborhood burned form Wednesday morning also!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WhyIstheworld
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I'm just glad everyone is ok, but from the facts she gives, it could've very well been about insurance money. Not saying that it is, because I don't know these people personally but, it's the classic case, the car just happend to ignite in the driveway as well, there should be an investigation, just to rule out everything if the cause of it's unknown. but something just looks way too off about this almost like it was planned.

Quoting mylilprincesses:

at least you called your self on being an A** ? thats justifiable right?... why even comment at all... if you aint got nothing nice to say...

Quoting WhyIstheworld:

i know i'm being the a** and i would never wish this on anyone, it's really tragic to lose your home and everything in it, but, something looks real fishy here, very suspicious. sorry.

randomosityblog
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Wow that is amazing. And heartbreaking. :(

WhyIstheworld
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM

omg me too, i'm terrified of fires. when i got my first place it was all electric besides the hot water tank. i moved out my moms house while i was pregnant because it had a gas leak. it almost killed all of us, and it always seems to happen at night when everyone is going to sleep. Thank God I'm a night owl, and the pregnancy was making me extremely sensitive and intuitive at the same time.

Quoting suziler:

I know this does not relate to exactly what happened to them with the power strip, but I am always glad that I live in a house that has no gas appliances they totally freak me out because I am afraid of fires. we also don't do real christmas trees and never leave our artificial tree plugged in for a long time. 

WhenInRome
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM
We lost everything in a fire when I was a kid. Even at nine years old I was amazed with the amount of help we received from the community. It's really wonderful what lengths people go to to help a friend in a need. I'm glad everyone is ok!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Yeah, the house next door also had damage because there were 30 mph winds. The garage burned badly...the car was parked right in front of it...you figure it out.

You are deeming this suspicious because of a single picture? Yeah...you're an idiot. The fire marshall already determined the cause, anyway.

Quoting WhyIstheworld:

I'm just glad everyone is ok, but from the facts she gives, it could've very well been about insurance money. Not saying that it is, because I don't know these people personally but, it's the classic case, the car just happend to ignite in the driveway as well, there should be an investigation, just to rule out everything if the cause of it's unknown. but something just looks way too off about this almost like it was planned.

Quoting mylilprincesses:

at least you called your self on being an A** ? thats justifiable right?... why even comment at all... if you aint got nothing nice to say...

Quoting WhyIstheworld:

i know i'm being the a** and i would never wish this on anyone, it's really tragic to lose your home and everything in it, but, something looks real fishy here, very suspicious. sorry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Little12007
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 2:21 PM
Omg this story has me bawling like a baby :'( I will keep them in my prayers! God bless them & I'm glad they are all together because in the end safety is what counts the most! I can't imagine the pain :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)