Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

A.D.D. is just an out-of-control Child & the result of bad Parenting

Posted by   + Show Post

Many People think ADD is over-diagnosed in children. The Child is just out of control, the Parents just Lazy. So What are your thoughts on Adult ADD?

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM
As do I. I get excited when I see her in posts.

Quoting Cymbeline:

I believe now is the time to confess that I have a crush on Clairwil.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I do believe it's over diagnosed. That said, I do believe it's a real issue and I think because it's over diagnosed sometimes parents don't seek a diagnosis or treatment when they should.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Quoting mysticalmalissa:

ADD/ADHD became more popular when parents lost their rights to parent as they see fit.

The environment (such as how structured it is) affects the effects of having ADHD - the visible symptoms.

It doesn't alter in the slightest whether or not the person has the condition.

mandylin3
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I agree it is real but because the symptoms are similar to unruly children, it is overdiagnosed.  I do believe the disease is real but not everyone who thinks their child has it does.  Sometimes it is simply a badly behaved child.

Perfect example, my mother had a child late in life.  I am thirty and my brother is14.  My mother is on about 30 different medicines a day and because of this can fall asleep at the drop of a hat.  She would go tell the doctors he was soooo hyper, failing to mention he was only playing with matchbox cars and making noises that she thought was too loud.  He would get unruly as all children do and she got him diagnosed with defiant disorder.  He wouldn't fall asleep when she though he should, she told the doctor he never slept and got a 9 year old on Ambien.  He would wet the bed and fall asleep in class because he couldn't wake up.  So to shut him up, he is on medicine for bipolar disorder, ADHD and sleep problems.  

All my mother had to do was tell his "symptoms" to the doctor.  He wasn't evaluated as he shoud have been.  It's an ongoing struggle in the family because no one agrees with it.  We all know how she is because we were all raised by her.  

I do think these diseases are real but way overdiagnosed.

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:37 PM
I have adult ADD. I was NEVER out of.control nor did i misbehave when I was a kid. My DD has ADD as.well. No behavior problems.

I have 16 yrs exp working with families and children . People should keep their mouth shut if they have no education or exp.on the subject or any subject!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I think that is the most ignorant statement I have ever heard.

Clairwil
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:39 PM
Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Could not agree more! I was told my DD probably had ADD because she does not listen well and is always hyper.... She is 4 and as long as I make sure she is getting consequecnses she should be fine.

Yes, children with ADHD can do fine with sufficient monitoring.  In fact, when they hyperfocus, they can seem less distractible than normal children.

But they also need to gain the skills they'll need when adults, when they won't have someone standing over them.

And the parts of their brain (called the "executive functions") that are used in self-control, need exercise as the child grows up if those brain parts are not to be pruned away by the normal brain maturation process.   And providing all the self-control support externally doesn't give them the exercise they need.

delilahsmom1177
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I will have to disagree. I can teach my DD coping skills that will guide her in adulthood.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Could not agree more! I was told my DD probably had ADD because she does not listen well and is always hyper.... She is 4 and as long as I make sure she is getting consequecnses she should be fine.

Yes, children with ADHD can do fine with sufficient monitoring.  In fact, when they hyperfocus, they can seem less distractible than normal children.

But they also need to gain the skills they'll need when adults, when they won't have someone standing over them.

And the parts of their brain (called the "executive functions") that are used in self-control, need exercise as the child grows up if those brain parts are not to be pruned away by the normal brain maturation process.   And providing all the self-control support externally doesn't give them the exercise they need.

I'm a tattooed,bisexual,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

Clairwil
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Quoting delilahsmom1177:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting delilahsmom1177:

I will have to disagree. I can teach my DD coping skills that will guide her in adulthood.

Yes, you can.   You can teach organisational skills, how to file paper, how to use reminders, etc.   You can do a lot about all the secondary symptoms.

What is much harder is to directly affect are the primary symptoms.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:57 PM

true but this is not always the case. I am an old school discilplinarnin. my oldest learned the rules and always obeyed them BUT

he is so unfocused with time...

always forgets stuff

finger counting

overlyemotional

obessesed with one thing at a time

this was him before his medication. now he is a normal little boy who tries to use his imagination, can hold a decent conversation with you about many things and is able to focus and pay attention

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

ADD/ADHD became more popular when parents lost their rights to parent as they see fit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN