Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

my son will be 2 on the 22nd and I will not buy more diapers. Update, day one and day two.

Posted by   + Show Post

My goal is to have my boy completely potty trained by his second birthday. He knows where his potty is and the seat for the big potty, he will go on the potty when he needs to and if I make him go with me, the only problem is he can't verbalize when he has to go potty because he doesn't really talk yet. He has some accidents throughout the day but can also stay dry most of the day as long as I stay on him. I also don't remember the last time I bought him a box of diapers, its been awhile. He has a few pairs of underwear, and I will buy him more to keep with him. He is such a pain in the butt, but he will be potty trained in the next 10th days. Once he is in underwear I will refuse to put him back in diapers.

UPDATE: Day 1, if any of you read yesterdays post, my son did good. He had three accidents, but one of those he went poo a little bit in his undies but finished on the potty.

So today was day 2, he did awesome today. We had no accidents in his undies today, he woke up dry but took off a wet diaper because I took too long to get out of bed, and he kept dry undies on all day. I am one proud mommy today. Also one time he went potty on the potty by himself, I didn't notice until I saw he came up to me showing off his privates and I found his underwear infront of his potty, and another time he let me know he had to go. My boy is learning how his body works and doing awesome. I have one week tomorrow until my boy turns 2, so we shall see how my plans work out.

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Replies (21-30):
ThePinkRobot
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
That was my attitide w my son too & it worked. However nighttime is a different story & he still wears pull ups sometimes for night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EDDES
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I just love your ambition and your goal but u really need to work with him and not the other way around, because now he is only two yrs. old just this month, and so, like the other lady said, you will need the overnights for sleeptime, or else you will be doing alot more laundry than usual and it is not very hygenic to sleep in urine.

The point is do continue your goal, but be mindful of what is very telling here, keep it simple and do not rush thru the potty training process just continue to be consistent.

embersparkle
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM
Ugh he is just barely 2. He is not being lazy...he is being a toddler.

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

That's possible, he understands a lot, just doesn't speak yet. He also won't keep diapers on, he will take them off as soon as he goes number 1 or 2. There was a few times he started to go number one and stopped himself and finished in the potty. He loves to sit on his potty and will cry if I make him sit on the potty when he doesn't have to go. He can play outside for an hour or two and not potty but go potty in his potty as soon as we come in. I feel he is ready and just being lazy, he is stubborn.

Quoting epoh:

Since he can't verbalize it, can you teach him the sign for "bathroom?"

Don't be surprised if this backfires. It sounds like you want it more than he does and that rarely works with potty training. Good luck though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SareyF
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM
I think it's a bad idea for parents to push things like this too hard. It's better to follow in your child's lead. But good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
southern.momof2
by Mel on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM
I did the same thing and had both mine potty trained before their second birthday. Have lots of patients and be persistent. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gabeys_Mommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM
Gotta agree with this. Honestly, I think your expectations are unrealistic. I tried with my son over & over...he went when he was ready. My daughter will be 2 next month and were taking it slow. I hope it works for you.

Quoting emeraldangel20:

yeah, not gonna happen. he'll go when he's ready. this is one thing that should not be forced

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmfanfgljf
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM
Oh I don't expect him to be perfect, my girls as much as I hate to admit it still have accidents, it not often enough to warrant a red flag its usually when they try and hold it too long, my oldest will be 7 tomorrow and my 2nd baby will be 6 in August. We have went back and forth with our boy since he was 12mo....potty training him has been a challenge but he is pretty much trying to self potty train, I just feel he needs a little push to gain some confidence.

Quoting mrsjones2207:

teach him the sign for potty. Remenber 2yos will still have accidents

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM
My dd was potty trained in a weekend exactly 1 month past her 2nd birthday. Don't let everyone get you down. If he is ready by then, go for it and good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShandellsBaby
by Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM

yeah he acts like he isnt ready at all...he will let u know when he is ready

AngeLnChainZ
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Pushing potty training when they aren't ready will only backfire in your face...

Why expect so much out of a child that isn't even 2 yet?All you're doing is causing yourself more stress in the long run.. Why not just wait until he is showing signs that he is ready? (and removing the diaper isn't a sure sign, my son was doing that at 10 months old but was 3 before he was staying drive and nearly 4 when he was finally fully potty trained)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)